Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
GsxrDon
Level 1
Level 1

showing 0 disk space

Post by GsxrDon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:46 pm

Ok guys, im having a problem unfortunately. I just had my computer built and have been trying to get linux mint installed along with windows. I have done this a dozen times on my laptop and never had any problems. When i boot my live dvd to install linux it all comes up to the home screen. I click english for my language and after that its telling me i have no disk space for 5.8gb. Now i have 2tb of hardrive drive on my desktop so i know theres more then enough space. How do i get it to show my actual disk space.

I also did tryed the mintwubi.exe version inside windows and installs fine, but when it reboots it says hub discriptor not found error-22. Now im not too worried about that since i want to intall it seperate and do the partition. I need to know why its telling me i have no disk space when i have more then enough.

Much help please!!!!!

spandey
Level 4
Level 4

Re: showing 0 disk space

Post by spandey » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:20 am

Which option did you select for Install? Do you have free un-allocated space on disk?
Linux Mint 17 - Mate 64 Bit

GsxrDon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GsxrDon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:47 am

I booted it from live DVD and clicked on the install disk on the desktop. I did a partition before but I formatted it. I will try to do a partition in windows again without formatting it and leaving it unallocated. Makes sense I will let ya know tonight when I try it again. Thanks dude!

ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:36 am

When it comes to the screen where you may choose "install alongside this or that" or "do something different" choose the latter. Choose then your second HD and make the partitioning manually. But Install grub to your first HD (/dev/sda) or you won't be able to boot into your new installation.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...

GsxrDon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GsxrDon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Nope I partitioned so I have 500gb of unallocated free space and it still has an x where it says u must have at least 5.8 gb available drive space.

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:21 pm

2tbs being 1 hard drive, or 2 1tb harddrives ? As in you have more than one hard drive ?

Might look this over. If you have more than 1 hdd.

Other than that ... can only speculate and offer a couple suggestions ( that may or may not matter at all. )

* Make sure you've got a good install disk, md5 checksum, verify disc ... In other words, make sure you're using a good install disc. Aka: Begin at the beginning, lol.

* Dskchk the drive you're talking about using Windows tools. Something I advise ( always do myself as a precaution anyway). Defrag/boottime defrag all windows partitions and dskchk them. I do that before any resizing, again afterwards, after completing an install and once a wk, just to be cautious. Defrag and dskchk are a routine part of maintenance for windows OS's regardless.

* Do the install manually ( or womanually if you happen to be a she, lol.) ... It isn't tough, personally prefer that anyway. I don't like the word automagically. Might work the majority of the time or for the majority of people. Though am too cautious myself can see booting my comp after installing summin and finding an installer automagically made all my data and OS's disappear. D:

So saying, select the "something else" option to manually install. Make sure you're pointing the installer to the right hdd ( if you have more than one.) Or the right partition otherwise, the empty one. You say this ... not sure what it means.
I did a partition before but I formatted it. I will try to do a partition in windows again without formatting it and leaving it unallocated
More babbling, yes leave it unallocated, set up the new partition with the installers gparted or download gparted live or Parted Magic etc. And if you were going to format it, makes sense to do it in one of the gnu/Linux file systems. If you set up a new ntfs partition using windows, the installer probably sees it as off limits. Which it should, how is the installer supposed to know that 500gb partition is where you want to install it ? ... Or maybe it's 500gbs of important files and data. The installer can't tell the difference, that's your job. Couple other how to's on dual bootin I think are decent ... Link Link
Last edited by lmintnewb on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GsxrDon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GsxrDon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:23 pm

one hard drive

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Look over those other 2 links then, they're about dual bootin w only 1 hdd me thinks. Definitely enough info between them and all that other babbling I just posted to get it done. Have done my good deed for the day, as far as trying to support gnu/Nix. You will definitely figure it out, no worries. Ye shall be dual bootin with the best of em before long. ;)

Return to “Installation & Boot”