Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jungle
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint 10 and Windows XP Setup Query - SOLVED

Post by jungle » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:27 am

I have had Windows XP installed on its own hard disk drive and working alongside Linux Mint on another hard disk drive for about five versions of Mint. I am now on Linux Mint 10. It is configured for my use and don't want to change up to a new Linux version just yet.

The Windows XP hard drive has recently failed. I have installed a new hard disk drive and reinstalled the XP operating system from the live CD (not activated yet because I am having some trouble getting it to recognise my broadband set-up).

When I have both SATA drives plugged in (into master (boot) connections on the motherboard) and start the computer, it now boots Mint thanks to some recent advice on the newbie forum. When I unplug the Mint hard drive and restart the computer, Windows XP starts up OK.

I remember reading way back that you need to install Windows XP before Linux to have them both boot OK. There is no way that I want to reinstall my Linux Mint 10 and if that is the only solution, then it will be goodbye to Windows XP. (I have very little need for Windows XP any more but I am yet to work out how to get Linux Mint to use my Logitech Pro webcam C910 with Skype. It may be easier to solve that problem if I can't get the dual boot working.)

I have been reading the forums about bootloader set-up. I have read suggestions about creating a new partition (/boot) on my Linux hard drive for the bootloader and how to use Easy BCD to edit the Windows XP boot settings, but my problem is that I cannot boot into the two systems as yet.

I still have my Linux Mint 10 Live DVD....
Last edited by jungle on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint 10 and Windows XP Setup Query

Post by lmintnewb » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:41 am

Don't quote me on this ... Might try changing the boot order in bio's to boot the XP drive first when you want to use XP. Only a thought about it with no idea whether XP will work with ya or not. It's oldish M$ afterall ... like all things M$, kinda on the sukyside. Actually fond of XP myself though (edit: Thanks to a bunch of 3rd party freeware and opensource, XP default is horrible), don't use it that often anymore either. Usually imo ... and from what I've seen when people have a problem getting gnu/Linux and M$uks software to get along, M$'s software is the problem. XP might still need to be the 1st primary partition on the first hdd to boot or whatever. M$ definitely doesn't mind making people's lives wayyyy more aggravation than it should have to be. Heck they design it that way imo ... They don't mind selling us poopware for big $, when better software is readily available for free. Lol ... hmmm, sighs ... this turned into one of my I despise M$ rants, shrugs ... Go figure. :D
Last edited by lmintnewb on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:25 am

Have you tried running

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
when the Windows drive is installed? This has worked in similar cases to add Windows to the Grub boot menu.
Registered Linux User 483387

jungle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jungle » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:02 am

Thanks for the advice.

When I set the bios to boot from the Windows XP hard drive, it boots into XP with no option to get Linux. If I disconnect the XP hard drive it boots OK into Linux. I did this and updated grub as suggested.

Then I shut down, plugged in the XP hard drive and started up again, but I don't get the boot menu I used to get, it just goes straight into XP. I have read about how to use Easy BCD (a Windows app) to edit the Windows boot manager, but at this stage I cannot get my internet connection working for XP. Been working on it all day with no success and will try again tomorrow....

Will let you know how things work out. Regards...

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:07 am

jungle wrote:disconnect the XP hard drive
If you disconnect the drive then it won't be seen when you update-grub. All you should need to do is change the boot order.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Kevin108
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kevin108 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:22 pm

Have your BIOS set to boot you into Linux. Look in Disk Utility to see what your Windows drive is. Mine was /dev/sdb Install the Grub boot menu on the drive with something like

sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
That will install Grub on your XP drive as well, which you can then set to boot to give you access to both operating systems.

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:27 pm

Would honestly think TechnoG or remoulder would be right. Was so simple I hadn't even considered sudo update-grub, lol. Just suggested the changing bios thing, cause you seemed like you weren't all that interested in using XP often anyway. If you only use it once in a blue moon, changing boot priority in bios only takes a couple secs. But if you want to have a normal multi-boot, that's a bit different.

What they're suggesting should work. Plug both drives in, set Mint's drive to boot 1st in bio's, fire up Mint, open terminal and sudo update-grub. Not sure why it wouldn't pick up on be able to boot the drive w XP just fine. Only thing I wonder about, might be if there's a limitation with XP. Might need to be 1st primary on 1st drive blahblahblah. Wouldn't think it'd be a problem, but were talking about an operating sys made by M$. Lol ... by definition, an OS made by M$, often IS a problem ... shrugs. :D

Anyway, looked into it a bit out of curiousity and found a solution that would/should definitely work for you. Edit the grub2 custom file ... Otherwise known as 40_custom

sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom
Add an entry for that XP install there, then afterwards sudo update-grub and leave grub2 in charge of booting. These links should give you the idea.

Link1.
Link2.

Am not real familiar with grub2, still prefer grub legacy myself. Learned a bit about it though ... Mint ( and a ton of other popular distro's) use grub2.

PS, thought of what Kevin108 said too, could work also. Lol ... he posted while I was typing this friggin bk. There are many ways to go about this no doubt. Bottomline ... you'll have to pick whichever approach you're most comfortable with. Might end up having to do it the way Kevin suggests, if it turns out XP has some weird limitation in it. Personally would try what TechnoG and remoulder are suggesting first, couldn't hurt ... The broadband, can't connect to net thing is something else ... Maybe you need to install a driver or etc ?

Just 2 cents.

jungle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jungle » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Hey Guys Thanks for the suggestions and help. It all looks promising.

I am back at work (unfortunately) and at home I am doing backups and restore functions (two and a half days later and still going!) before following up on your advice.

Will let you know how things work out.

Regards

Jungle

jungle
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 10 and Windows XP Setup Query - SOLVED

Post by jungle » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:02 am

Well folks. I searched far and wide and tried many suggestions but none of them worked for me. So it was back to basics.

I backed up my Linux Mint software selection and data.

I formatted both hard drives and then unplugged the hard drive I would use later for Linux.

I installed Windows XP on the connected hard drive (created two NTFS partitions one for XP and programs and one for My Documents and all data and left some disk space 'unallocated'). I got this working OK and downloaded all of XP updates. I reinstalled all hardware drivers (printers et al), and the network contoller driver from the ASUS motherboard CD which gave me a working ethernet connection.

I then connected up the second hard drive and installed Linux Mint on it (I am staying with Julia 10 for the time being - very happy with it). As part of the install I opted for manual partitioning and partitioned it as follows:
Primary partition - 256 Mb (ext4): /boot
Primary partition - 4 GB (ext4): - swap
Partition - 9 Gb (ext 4): - /root (for Linux Mint Julia operating system)
Partition - 10Gb (ext 4): - /usr
Partition - 4Gb (ext 4): - /var
Partition - 900Gb (ext 4): - /home (for data)
'Unallocated' - 40 Gb (for future partitioning adjustments)

As part of the manual install I set it to boot from the Linux Mint hard drive as above (you need to specify this).

I checked the ASUS motherboard bios and made sure that it was set to boot from the Linux Mint hard drive.

I started up and everything is just how I want it. It boots fine and gives me the choice of selecting either Linux Mint or Windows XP (It defaults to Linux Mint if I do not choose Windows XP). Everything is now great again. It is just taking forever restoring the backed up Linux software and data, but all is going well...

I imagine there are other ways to achieve this result but I couldn't get anything else to work. The one definite is that if you install windows XP first and Linux second then everything works out.

Regards and thanks for all your suggestions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”