Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
carranty
Level 1
Level 1

grub> text editor

Post by carranty » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:20 am

I've recently made an alteration to my fstab file which is preventing my computer from booting up. I get to a splash screen which says something along the lines of "Failed to mount /media/extHD, press S to skip or M to do it manually". Well pressing S or M (or s or m) do nothing, its like the keyboard has frozen, all I can do is ctrl-alt-del to reboot. I know how to fix the problem, I just need to remove the troublesome line from the fstab file, however if I drop to the grub prompt (grub>) by pressing 'c' at the grub screen all I can seem to do is view the file - vi, vim and nano are all unrecognised. Is there a text editor I can use from the grub menu? If not how can I go about editing the fstab file?

tomast
Level 3
Level 3

Re: grub> text editor

Post by tomast » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:25 am

Boot from the CD or DVD Live like when you first installed. :D

carranty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carranty » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:30 am

tomast wrote:Boot from the CD or DVD Live like when you first installed. :D
I was hoping you wouldn't say that! This is the only PC I have (I'm writing this on my tablet), I'll need to go into work to burn a new live CD. Is there no way to edit a text file without booting first, or alternatively copying a file. I backed up a working fstab file first called fstab.bak in the same directory. Is there anyway to replace fstab with this from the grub prompt (or any other prompt I can get to from the grub screen).

Roland
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Roland » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:50 am

I am not sure, but could this help you?
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/

carranty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carranty » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Roland wrote:I am not sure, but could this help you?
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/
Thanks, but no. Its a very easy fix with the mint LiveCD, I just don't have one or the means to create one :? . I can make one at work tomorrow and fix it when I get home, I just thought I was missing something obvious, apparently not though.....

Return to “Installation & Boot”