unable to find medium containing live file system

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
VISTASUCK

unable to find medium containing live file system

Post by VISTASUCK »

ok so i tryed unbutu with cd and usb and it does not work
i see the main screen and a few options so i chose start or wathever its called and it get a black screen and some random flashing screen like white or other colours ( dark purple for ubuntu ) and after a while 'busybox' tell me some kind of error, it was all complicated with ubuntu so i cant explain the error
so i decided to try linuxmint, it worked for my friend with the same problem
SAME RESULT IM PISSED OFF
i followed tutorials exactly used universal usb installer and all, (cant waste any more cd its starting to cost alot in damn cds) and when i press enter to boot it i get darkish screen for a while then in the corner a small white box (busybox) saying
unable to find a medium containing a live file system
what the heck is thaT ?
i tryed compatibility mode and i got in a console wich i have no idea how to use :( but atleast the keyboard wasnt disabled like it used to be with ubuntu console
so any idea what this can be? if you need any more info PLEASE ask and help me i really want linux but linux really dont want me i think i did something bad and now linux is having a revenge :(
damn you, computer!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Uchiha_Kori

Re: unable to find medium containing live file system

Post by Uchiha_Kori »

(cant waste any more cd its starting to cost alot in damn cds)
That's the truth lol.

Okay, so what it sounds like to me is that your computer is not finding the USB stick your installing Mint with. When you turn on your computer, there should be a brief screen, and some where on that screen it should say something like F12: Boot Manager or some other kind of option like that. For most computers, the F12 key is the Boot manager. Start your computer, and just start pressing F12 over and over and over again. From there, another screen should come up wanting to know what device you want to boot from. Some where in that list, you should find your USB drive that will install Mint. However, your computer might not use the F12 key to start it's boot manager. If it's not the F12 key, look on that brief screen that comes up as soon as you start the computer, and it will tel you what key to press.

I hope this helps.

-Uchiha Kori
VISTASUCK

Post by VISTASUCK »

actually, i cannot get any kind of linux screen without pressing f12 and starting from usb, even though i put usb first in BIOS
i also tryed the windows installer, it tell me it cannot find the instalation iso, but the instalation iso IS there exactly where its trying to find it
Uchiha_Kori

Post by Uchiha_Kori »

The USB is first in BIOS??? And it still cannot find it??? That's weird. Okay then, Plan B -- Extract Mint4Win.exe out of the ISO file using 7zip or WinRAR. Then, drag both the ISO file and Mint4Win.exe on your desktop. Double click Mint4Win.exe and go from there.

-Kori Uchiha
VISTASUCK

Post by VISTASUCK »

mint4win is on the usb, extracted and all, i did it and all it did was saying it couldnt find the instalation iso
i did the chskdr.exe /r thing but it didnt work
i tryed on my dad pc it instantly worked from my usb
(wich i used unetbootin to make btw)
Uchiha_Kori

Post by Uchiha_Kori »

I see. Did you unplug the USB drive when you tried Mint4Win on your desktop? It is key if the USB drive is not inserted.
VISTASUCK

Post by VISTASUCK »

are you asking me if i unplugged the source while tyring to acess it?
are you really out of ideas or do you think im retarded?
Uchiha_Kori

Post by Uchiha_Kori »

My appologies. We assume users have no Linux background or previous experience here on the forum. And yes, at this point, I am out of ideas.

-Kori
VISTASUCK

Post by VISTASUCK »

i give up, ill buy a new computer, i tryed on others computer it worked instantly everything worked well and fast
pillingm

Post by pillingm »

Was the computer you tried to install this on an intel mother-board with Z86 chipset?

This seems to be the common factor with this fault so far in my experience.

It doesn't just affect Ubuntu/Linux Mint but also old Ubuntu 7.? that was on my hard drives I transplanted, it also aborted OpenSuse12.1 installer DVD and the System rescue CD.

None of these operating systems have given me grief on anything else.

Return to “Installation & Boot”