New Mint 12 install hangs after cups loads

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mintified

New Mint 12 install hangs after cups loads

Post by Mintified »

Hi all,

I've been using Mint for almost a year now and my last install was Mint 12 from the day it was released.
Recently, I wanted to test Ubuntu Studio (which I went on to use almost exclusively for about a month).
The problem started when I wanted to get rid of Windows 7 and free up some drive space, I inadvertently deleted the Mint root partition. Using this as an excuse to do a clean install and move a few partitions around I went ahead an reinstalled Studio and Mint with seperate root and home partitions. Studio boots up and and runs perfectly but during boot Mint stops after the "cups printing server/spooler message [ok]" line.
I reinstalled 2 more times after an integrity check on the DVD but the same error occurs. I then downloaded and burned a new install DVD (just in case), used it and even moved the mint root to a different drive and a new /home directory under / on the same drive. I was going to move /home once I got the install working but damn if I didn't get the exact same problem. I then reinstalled to the same drives and partitions as the original working install before I deleted the partition and got the same error, nothing after the cups line.
So that's several install attempts on 3 different partitions over two different drives using two different install media which were both integrity checked, all failing at the same point with no error message (even when left for almost 2 hours).

I'm at a loss here because I don't know what it is failing on. The cups line says it loaded ok.

Any help would be greatly appreciated but in the meantime I'm back to using Studio.

Thanks in advance for any help.

AMD athlon X64 dual core 6000+
ASRock A770DE+
5Gb mem
nVidia 7900GT 256
Sata 700Gb and ata 200Gb
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: New Mint 12 install hangs after cups loads

Post by mads »

Hi! Try this.
1) Boot with Live CD/DVD
2) Mount the partition where you have installed Mint 12
3) Navigate to '/etc' folder. Find and right-click '/modprobe.d' folder, and select 'Open as administrator'

Now, there are two options. Try this one first:
4) Open 'blacklist-cups-usblp.conf' file, comment out 'blacklist usblp' and save the file.

Code: Select all

# blacklist usblp
5) Reboot normally, and see if it still hangs or not.

If steps 4 and 5 above didn't work, try these:
4) Create a new document in the '/etc/modprobe.d' folder called 'parport.conf'. Then add these lines to the file and save it:

Code: Select all

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7
5) Reboot normally, and see if it still hangs or not.
Mintified

Re: New Mint 12 install hangs after cups loads

Post by Mintified »

Hi Mads,

Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately I got the same error all the time. I am however now typing this in my new Mint 12 installation.
I tried one last time using the new media created yesterday and formatted two new partitions for root and home, held my breath, crossed my fingers and closed my eyes until here we are. :D
I still have no idea what caused the hang-ups but now that it's all working I'm not going to be messing with it any more.

Thanks again for your kind assistance and suggestions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”