Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
slythecooper
Level 1
Level 1

Strangest Problem Ever, experts only...

Post by slythecooper »

hi there,
let me just give you a bit of a background. I am fairly good with linux and have used RH and openSUSE before in the past. I tried to install mint (dual boot with w7, i gave Mint 40gb), but however got a problem with the installation and it accidentally installed on D drive. i could not boot into mint, and it took 40 gb out of the drive. I messed around with the ext3 partition created by installation with ext 2 volume manager. Then i chose to install Mint again, and i chose the noob option install alongside w7. HOWEVER, it did not give me the option to choose disk space and went directly to the installation process. I thought i was going to loose w7. But however by some miracle it managed to keep both. Now this is the funny thing. You know when you boot normally, you have that black and white screen with the two options winddows or mint (assuming that you have it installed) and when you press :? mint you get that screen with two options (or something like that, i got Linux debian and recovery mode with wubi) Now when i boot my computer it goes DIRECTLY onto the linux boot option. AND I STILL GET THE OPTION TO BOOT ONTO WINDOWS! with an option called w7 loader sda1, along with two other options memory check and mem check x64. Nothing has changed in W7 (data everything still intact) except for the fact that i have 2 new drives in My Computer, one with an ext3, with all my linux files (I CAN BROWSE THROUGH IT ON WINDOWS!!) and one blank ntfs with 3.99 GB CAPACITY (the other is 34GB Capacity)

so in all, can anyone tell me what is going on right now and what should i do.

Slythecooper
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Strangest Problem Ever, experts only...

Post by Roken »

Best guess. You have installed using wubi previously. wubi doesn't write a native grub boot, but rather writes a wubi boot which chainloads a gru boot if you select Linux, hence the two boot screens that you have experienced before.

This time when you installed, you did it "properly", which means that the Windows MBR has been completely replaced by grub. Basically, you now go directly to grub and, if necessary, this will chainload Windows when you choose to boot that.
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

You can use the Boot Info Script to give you a report on all your drives and the boot files on them. You might also want to use Boot Repair to correct the boot process if necessary.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
slythecooper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by slythecooper »

Never installed wubi on this computer before. Any other possible explanation.
remoulder wrote:You can use the Boot Info Script to give you a report on all your drives and the boot files on them. You might also want to use Boot Repair to correct the boot process if necessary.
will get right on it...
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

NOTE to those trying to be of assistance >>>

2 days before this thread, Slythecooper posted this thread in the Newbie Questions forum >>> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 57#p526057 In this thread he had "absolutely no experience with Linux systems at all" and had "given Ubuntu 11.10 a try with wubi"... He "got very irritated by the layout and interface"... "and decided to switch to Mint"...

I don't know if he followed any of the advice in that thread as he never replied...

Just 2 days later, he is "fairly good with linux and has used RH and openSUSE" and is here trying to describe his problem... I hope the background is helpful. The problem is beyond my expertise (I'm no expert) so, I'm out - I wish you luck...

- R -
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

*facepalm* :lol: ...slythecooper, you cannot get "fairly good" at Linux in 2 days. I've been using Linux since Mint 8 Helena and I'm STILL learning about Mint; it can take many months or even years to master Linux. I don't think you should restrict this topic to experts only; someone else might know things you don't. I don't consider myself to be an expert :mrgreen:

As for your bootloader problem: "You know when you boot normally, you have that black and white screen with the two options winddows or mint (assuming that you have it installed) and when you press :? mint you get that screen with two options (or something like that, i got Linux debian and recovery mode with wubi) Now when i boot my computer it goes DIRECTLY onto the linux boot option."

If you don't want GRUB2, you can go back to Windows 7's bootloader (I believe it's called Longhorn loader?) along with the option to boot into Mint by using EasyBCD. Install EasyBCD and write the Windows Vista/7 loader to your primary harddrive, then add the entry for Mint by selecting GRUB2 bootloader, {Name of OS: Linux Mint {#}} and select "add" and it will find Mint automatically and add the entry to the MBR (master boot record).

The link to EasyBCD: http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1
(just put in whatever for the name and email, it works)

Return to “Installation & Boot”