Level 1

dualboot problmes with /home

Post by blackarchan »

First i installed Ubuntu 11.10 in this way:
/ 20gb
swap 4gb
/home 500GB
Then i installed Linux Mint 12 with only / 20GB
But i want to have /home 500GB both for Ubunt and Linux Mint not one /home500gb and one /home(20gb) in / in Linux Mint
How can i do this???

Thanks
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: dualboot problmes with /home

Post by xenopeek »

This may work, as long as you have different usernames on Ubuntu and Linux Mint (if you have the same username, all kind configuration from the one will overwrite configuration on the other--like what applications you have in the menu). Easiest it is to do this during installation. There you select to do manual partitioning (I believe in the "Allocate Drive Space" step it is called "Something else". Then you will have to manually create a / partition (or reuse the current one for Linux Mint 12), point to the already existing swap partition to use for swap (you only need one swap partition per computer, regardless of which OSes you use), and point to the already existing /home partition to use for /home. Be sure to select NOT to format the /home partition!

You can also do this from the current installation, but this will take some work in /etc/fstab file.

Which way do you prefer?
vandamme
Level 1
Level 1

Re: dualboot problmes with /home

Post by vandamme »

I have 4 partitions on my laptop because I haven't decided which distro I like yet (and they keep changing), plus I need Windows for those once in a great while moments. So since windows can't read my Linux files, I keep most of my stuff in the Documents folders on Windows. I have my setup files for each distro in their own /home, and if I install something new I don't have to worry about my data files, Bill Gates :twisted: is keeping them safe and sound. I use the same username and password on everything. I suppose you could just have a Linux partition with nothing but data files, and accomplish the same thing.

Return to “Installation & Boot”