Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Make a CD from a pendrive Linux?

Post by tpprynn »

I've 'mislaid' my Linux Mint .iso files, don't have the facilities to download again yet, and would like to redo my pendrive Mint. Can its contents be made back into the .iso? There is one file on there that seems roughly .iso size, filesystem.squashfs, so I'm thinking it could be possible?

(Basically, at one point I removed the persistence file and would like to redo it so I've got one again on this 4gb stick.)

Thanks.

caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Make a CD from a pendrive Linux?

Post by caribriz »

There might be a *proper* way to do it, but ....

Maybe another idea -

Could you install Remastersys and make a "distributable" version of your system?
Remastersys makes a custom .iso file and maybe you could use that to make a cd with Brasero or other program??????
Or use the .iso to make another pendrive version with Startup Disk Creator?

Don't know for sure ... just a suggestion :)

Maybe I've misunderstood the question :?

Have a look at this thread from the Ubuntu forum
Create ISO from USB drive:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043014

Is this what you mean?

caribriz
Desktop: C2D E6400 / Asus P5LD2SE / 2GB ram / Asus GeForce 210 / 320GB (WinXP) & 1TB (Mint - various)
Laptop: Asus A53E-SX1455V - i5 2450M / 4GB ram / Intel HD 3000 / 500GB (Win7/Mint 18.3 Cinnamon)

tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

Hello and thanks for that. I did actually try out Remastersys again two days back with poor results, to an extent probably my fault. I think it would be best to install the operating system, choose our tweaks and themes, add Updates and favourite programs and then use Remastersys, before adding data. It doesn't seem a simple program to me, and I gave up on it once two years ago. I'm going to try again though. I did try to create a second User Account with no data but this soon went awry somehow.

I read the Ubuntu post too. DD is a bit scary... But, earlier than expected I have an opportunity tomorrow to get fresh .iso files of Mint and will be doing that and backing them up on not one but two external hard drives.

Thanks for your input.

caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by caribriz »

No worries.

It's probably best to go with a fresh download of the .iso in the end.

I'm sure there is a way to do it, but it is beyond the understanding of this newbie :)

Shame about your experience with Remastersys.
I've just started to use it and have had ok results with it in "backup" mode making a live dvd. (Only the / partition, all my data is on another partition.)
But it has made a usable live dvd with all my settings and installed programs intact. It did take a couple of experiments to get the hang of it, though.
Now using dvd-rw to make the backups :wink:

cheers
caribriz
Desktop: C2D E6400 / Asus P5LD2SE / 2GB ram / Asus GeForce 210 / 320GB (WinXP) & 1TB (Mint - various)
Laptop: Asus A53E-SX1455V - i5 2450M / 4GB ram / Intel HD 3000 / 500GB (Win7/Mint 18.3 Cinnamon)

sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

NOBODY USE REMASTERSYS!
IT HAS A HIGH FAILURE RATIO! Me and many others have tried using Remastersys only for it to fail us badly!
Use Relinux instead; it is an actively developed project while Remastersys was dead for like a year, until a few weeks ago. Relinux never failed me. Try it out.
http://lkubuntu.wordpress.com/2011/10/1 ... ur-system/

caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by caribriz »

@sagirfahmid3

I haven't had a problem with Remastersys - apart from some minor cosmetic issues of my own making - now fixed.
I have installed to hdd one of the backups of Mint 9 I made using Remastersys (and am using it now - it works perfectly).

Have heard of Relinux and will check it out in the future.

Saw this tutorial on it for making a distribution:
http://www.howtoforge.com/creating-your ... vd-relinux

caribriz

sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Oh, thats good news that Remastersys has been fixed. Not everyone is comfortable using Relinux since its from the command line (terminal) and newbies don't like that.
The dev must have fixed the issues recently I hope.

caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by caribriz »

... thats good news that Remastersys has been fixed. .......The dev must have fixed the issues recently I hope.
I can only speak from my own personal experience with the program .... others may have a different experience.
Have only just started to use it - version 3.0.0-1.

So far ....... for me ...... it's ok.

caribriz

Return to “Installation & Boot”