[SOLVED] Linux Mint 12 hangs on boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Martificiam

[SOLVED] Linux Mint 12 hangs on boot

Post by Martificiam »

I've been using Ubuntu and Mint before and it worked almost perfectly.

Now I'd like to run it again, so I've downloaded the iso, used unetbootin to install it to my USB key and then restarted the computer. When I press "Start Linux Mint" a black screen appears after some time, followed by the mouse pointer and the Mint background. And nothing else happens. I can only see the wallpaper and move the mouse. What's the problem?
I've looked for any settings in BIOS that could solve this issue, however, I did not find any.
The reason I turned to Mint was because Ubuntu would always (tried it several times) crash at a certain point during the installation process.

Similar problems persisted in the past - any Linux OS I had tried would randomly freeze on the boot logo while loading the OS. Sometimes it wouldn't. But now I can't even boot it from my USB.

The md5 is fine.

What should I do?
Last edited by Martificiam on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Linux Mint 12 hangs on boot

Post by xenopeek »

You may try booting from USB, press a key at the countdown screen, then press TAB to edit the boot parameters, and replace 'quiet splash' on that line with 'nomodeset acpi=off' (without the quotes). Then continue the boot.

This should work if you have a Nvidia or AMD graphics card, or motherboard with their chips.

Martificiam

Post by Martificiam »

Thanks for answering.

Unfortunately, my laptop has an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M integrated video processor.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Martificiam wrote:Thanks for answering.

Unfortunately, my laptop has an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M integrated video processor.
AMD bought ATI years ago... They have rebranded the graphics cards to AMD, fully discontinuing the ATI brand name, back in 2010... So, the above should be worth a try as AMD = ATI :wink:

Martificiam

Post by Martificiam »

It worked once.

Now, after installing Ubuntu and then Mint, I can only see the background image. When I try to add the nomodeset acpi=off I can see the desktop, but it appears to be the old Gnome 2 interface and not Gnome 3 (which would run some time ago). Why is it so random? How do I fix this?

kasparof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kasparof »

In my case, the easy way to solve it but i had some performance issues, was to try the proprietary drivers for my graphics card.
After that, nomodeset and acpi=off were no longer needed. I found out that the performance issues i had, was maybe from
pulseaudio but i didn't have the time to check it out.

Something that let me boot correctly and not having to install the proprietary drivers was the removal of pulseaudio.

I hope i was helpful. :)

Have fun!

Martificiam

Post by Martificiam »

Nah, that didn't help me. Somehow it fixed itself. I guess nomodeset acpi=off is only needed when running the LiveCD. But just during a few exceptions, most of the time it works fine.
Thanks for the help!

Return to “Installation & Boot”