Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SmokngunsLinGer
Level 1
Level 1

[solved]Cannot boot, display turns off after I select Linux

Post by SmokngunsLinGer »

I burned Linux Mint (12 Lisa 64 bit) to a cd (bootable) and launched installation. I first tried to install within Windows (7 Home Premium) and rebooted upon prompt. When I tried to boot, it gave me the option to boot with Windows 7 or Linux Mint. Selected Linux, it gave me a 5 sec count down for boot options, I let it expire so the installation would continue as is, the screen went black, then the display turned off altogether. I got the same result when I tried installing the demo and full installation. I also tried to continue the installation by selecting boot in 'graphics safe mode' with the exact same result. Could it be my graphics card? I have an AMD Radeon(TM) HD6480G. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!! I wanna break free of Windows.... Thanks in advance!!

**I've also tried installing the latest version Ubuntu and am getting the exact same result >_<

***Add Fedora 16 to that list. I get the message 'Gnome 3 failed to load and is in fallback mode'. I got the latest video card drivers and tried again but to no avail...

****Linux Arch is also on the list..... FML!!!
Last edited by SmokngunsLinGer on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

everready
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cannot boot, display turns off after I select Linux Mint

Post by everready »

Just what you need advice from a green pea.. :roll: I tried three times before it worked and then by way of the CD no codec's.. I added the extras after all was working properly.. :mrgreen:

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

I ended up with Linux Mint 11 Katya.. Its a fantastic build!!

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Cannot boot, display turns off after I select Linux Mint

Post by mank_in »

Return to “Installation & Boot”