Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Vito49
Level 2
Level 2

a bit worried about "Lisa"

Post by Vito49 »

Hello, I had some difficulties booting Mint12 ... i was surprised i had to switch off acpi in Grub before Gnome was able to boot, something i never experienced before. Thanks to this forum it was fixed very easily, but i'm worried now. I ask myself: what if an update changes the grub files so again I can't boot. If it's possible to change the bootstring on startup then that will be not a problem, but what if for one reason or another grub doesn't show up? Don't think this is possible, in LM 12 the boot-time is set to 10 seconds, but believe me in my case it happened several times that there was no delay, grub acted as if the boot time was set to 0 ... so i changed it to -1 and now it stays for as long as i don't hit the enter button. And that's safe.
Maybe i'm an old fool (63) but i like to ask: why isn't the kernel compiled with older computers in mind (mine is 5 years old, a Fujitsu Siemens with originally Vista on board, but now with only Gnu/Linux, no dual boot) ?

Is there a way to edit files on the HD with a Live-DVD?
That way one could change boot to the correct parameters.

Anyway, LM12 works great, but as a grumpy granddad I simply had to speak out my concern for the future :D

BTW: sorry for my bad English, I'm Flemish ( yep I'm from Flanders/Belgium)

Vito
Vito
Gnu/Linux user #547905 from Aarschot/Belgium
using Linux Mint 17 KDE
on an old Fujitsu Siemens desktop PC (2.8 GHz / 2 GB ram)

tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Re: a bit worried about "Lisa"

Post by tpprynn »

A Live DVD can be used as you imagined. Maybe keep a live DVD/CD of a version of Mint or other Linux that has in the past worked without fuss consistently to do this job if necessary though? You'd run the CD, open Nautilus as Root - Alt/F2 type gksu nautilus, navigate to your installation on its hard drive and go to etc/default/grub and edit the file in Gedit. I do something like this if I mess up a file somehow while fiddling.

I think I read that you can freeze any package so it's not updated, at least in Synaptic, but I haven't needed to do this so can't describe the procedure. Someone will be along to do so soon at a guess unless you google it or poke around in the Synaptic menubar for a likely option.

(By the way, does your Fujitsu have a Sis graphics chip? I've failed to get Mint working with two Fujitsus with SiS.)
Last edited by tpprynn on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by conslie »

This Super Grub Disk --> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ should be a comfort blankie at least, young fella.

:)

Vito49
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Vito49 »

Ok, guys, I'm feeling a bit more relaxed now :)

I only have problems with acpi, I must turn it off in Grub. Today I found out i don't have to use "nomodeset", only acpi=off ....

Yesterday I also tried to install Mint12 on my son's 3 year old computer, it freezes when reading initrd.lz, no matter what I do .... he has a "E.Machines EZ1600" (or was it a 160?) .... it would be great if I could help him, he absolutely wants Linux on his computer.

Thanks again.

Vito
Vito
using Linux Mint 17 KDE

Vito49
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Vito49 »

tpprynn wrote: (By the way, does you Fujitsu have a Sis graphics chip? I've failed to get Mint working with too Fujitsus with SiS.)
Oops, I have no idea .... where can I find this info?
I looked in the "system profiler and benchmark" but i couldn't find it ....

Vito
Vito
using Linux Mint 17 KDE

tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

I have only got access to the LXDE version of Mint now and don't remember how you'd check a machine's spec. possibly it's in one of the System settings options on that top bar menu on the right.

My sister's laptop is an EMachines and that has the problematic SiS chip. But if he still has windows that will be easy to check in Control Manager > System > Device Manager. If so, it seems only the PCLOS distro will be of use. That was the only one that would boot, and at the correct monitor resolution, where there was a SiS chip involved.

I'm not likely to be much more use with this, I hope someone else chips in soon. Good luck.

Return to “Installation & Boot”