Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Ceezer
Level 1
Level 1

Can't install Mint 12 KDE 32-bit

Post by Ceezer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:35 pm

I tried searching through a lot of the threads that looked like they might be similar in issue, but I'm not having boot problems after installing, I can't even get it installed. I apologize if this has been covered, but I've been fighting with it for nearly 3 hours now and am banging my head and getting tired and frustrated (not to mention the eye-strain and headache I'm getting from the 16 tabs I have open, trying to research and locate a resolution to this issue...).

To be up-front, I don't know much about Linux. I bought this laptop and wiped it to install Mint 10 last Feb as a learning experience, but then didn't get a chance to really use it. Now I have some time and want to get back on it, but wanted to check out the KDE desktop, so I downloaded the .ISO of the aforementioned distro - 3 times, in fact - and burned it to disc (twice to DVD, once to USB). Each time I checked the md5sum and verified it was a good download. Burned it using InfraRecorder, then tried Windows 7's built-in ISO burner, and UNetBootin. I insert the media into the laptop and power it on, but it doesn't boot to disc and loads the log-in screen. I know the BIOS is set to enable booting from both, USB and CD/DVD, because I haven't changed anything since setting it all up when I installed Mint 10. I've restarted and tried every known key to get in to either the BIOS or boot menu, but no matter what I strike, I get "GLib-warning pwuid failed due to unknown user id" and it proceeds to the log-in screen.

Just for giggles, I also went ahead and logged in and tried running it from within the desktop environment, but that didn't work, either. And I've tried all of these steps multiple times, so I know it's not just a fluke

I greatly appreciate any help!

revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can't install Mint 12 KDE 32-bit

Post by revdjenk » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:35 pm

Ceezer,
I know the BIOS is set to enable booting from both, USB and CD/DVD
But are they set before the hdd in the boot order? If they are listed after the hdd in the boot order, the hdd, and your mint10 install will be booted.

God Bless
Doug
Malachi 3:10 NRSV
...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...

Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

Ceezer
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't install Mint 12 KDE 32-bit

Post by Ceezer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:09 am

They *were*, that's how I installed Mint 10 last time, but now I can't even get in to verify nothing has changed. Any time I try to get into the BIOS I get that Glib-warning.

Return to “Installation & Boot”