Installation Not Showing up (Thinkpad X120e)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
azpublisher

Installation Not Showing up (Thinkpad X120e)

Post by azpublisher »

Using the DVD version of Linux Mint "burnt" to a flash drive, I installed Mint (64) alongside Windows 7 and had no issues during the installation. I rebooted, and the computer went straight to Windows...

Important things to note:
UEFI on this BIOS
I added a boot password in the BIOS

System specs:
AMD E350 (1.6 GHz, dual core, 64 bit)
2gb RAM
320 gb HD (with 64 gb's allocated for Mint)

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking it must be the BIOS?

EDIT: Could it have anything to do with the fact that my computer had 3 partitions before I installed Mint? All three partitions were NTFS and came with the OEM install of Win 7. I didn't do the custom partitioning, I did the simple one and selected 64 GB for Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bu99zy

Re: Installation Not Showing up (Thinkpad X120e)

Post by bu99zy »

To me it sounds like you maybe have installed the grub boot loader (this is the OS loader so you can pick whether to load windows or Mint) in the Mint partition eg sda3 or sda4.

This needs to be installed in the mbr or simply sda
azpublisher

Post by azpublisher »

bu99zy wrote:To me it sounds like you maybe have installed the grub boot loader (this is the OS loader so you can pick whether to load windows or Mint) in the Mint partition eg sda3 or sda4.

This needs to be installed in the mbr or simply sda
Hmm. How could that be if I did a standard instal though? Could I bother you to give me a short explanation of what you're talking about in regards to partitions and drives?

Thanks for your help in trying to sort out my Linus woes.
HughT

Post by HughT »

azpublisher

Post by azpublisher »

HughT wrote:You might find this useful https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting
I've already read that. I must be too dumb to understand it, because it didn't help me with the issue at hand.

If my computer is going straight from the BIOS screen to the Windows starting screen, then we'd be safe to assume Grubb isn't even being "asked" to load?
HughT

Post by HughT »

Yes, I take your point about that Ubuntu guide! I think you're right about Grub being absent. I think you might have to make a small new partition just for boot formatted as a fat32 efi. But I can't help you beyond that.
azpublisher

Post by azpublisher »

HughT wrote:Yes, I take your point about that Ubuntu guide! I think you're right about Grub being absent. I think you might have to make a small new partition just for boot formatted as a fat32 efi. But I can't help you beyond that.
I'll try that. Hopefully it works.

I'm also going to try it with the boot password disabled. I've read of people installing Linux Mint or Ubuntu on x120e's with no problem, so I'm thinking it may be the BIOS that's screwing something up in the boot process that skips GRUB.
zico333

Post by zico333 »

I'm having exactly the same problem. I installed LinuxMint 12 64 bits along with Windows 7. During the partitionning phase I picked the first option (Install LinuxMint with Windows 7 to have a dual boot). Now when I start the computer, it goes straight to Windows as if I did nothing! The installation went fine, and I noticed the 150Gb of the Linux partition are missing in Windows, so it was installed allright. But how can I boot the computer to Linux now? I'm at a loss.

If you find a solution, please let me know.
spandey

Post by spandey »

Can you confirm that you have installed it after booting LiveDVD using UEFI mode only?
zico333

Post by zico333 »

I found a solution, using a freeware called EasyBCD. Everything is explained here :

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/06/11/du ... ndows-7/3/

The most recent of this program is not free, so download the last free version 2.1.1 here http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ (right side of the screen, OLDER VERSIONS). It works for both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7.
Hope this helps!

Return to “Installation & Boot”