Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lsatenstein
Level 1
Level 1

Can grub do mbr backup before replacement

Post by lsatenstein » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:09 am

I have a two hard disk system. /dev/hda has xp, and /dev/hdb has our favorite. I entered the bios, switched the boot drive to /dev/sdb, and proceeded to do the installation. At some point grub asked about installing the mbr to replace or create an mbr, and I did not pay close attention, and said yes.

I lost the boot record from XP, and the installation of grub did not include the XP system. Now it would have helped immensely had the install of the mbr have as an important step, the backup of the existing mbr. I could have used a small utility to restore the mbr in error.

Oh well, I have the system disk for XP, which will of course require me to rerun the grub install.

99% of the time we would not have to think about restoring the mbr, but with an order bios and motherboard, this became necessary.

Would like your comments and how to raise this idea as a very nice to have..addition

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can grub do mbr backup before replacement

Post by monkeyboy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:00 am

lsatenstein wrote:I have a two hard disk system. /dev/hda has xp, and /dev/hdb has our favorite. I entered the bios, switched the boot drive to /dev/sdb, and proceeded to do the installation. At some point grub asked about installing the mbr to replace or create an mbr, and I did not pay close attention, and said yes.

I lost the boot record from XP, and the installation of grub did not include the XP system. Now it would have helped immensely had the install of the mbr have as an important step, the backup of the existing mbr. I could have used a small utility to restore the mbr in error.

Oh well, I have the system disk for XP, which will of course require me to rerun the grub install.

99% of the time we would not have to think about restoring the mbr, but with an order bios and motherboard, this became necessary.

Would like your comments and how to raise this idea as a very nice to have..addition
I think you need to establish how large the need is for such a project before you pitch it. I suspect most folks have few problems when setting up a Mint/XP dual boot and those that do have problems can usually resolve them with existing fixes like "update grub". Perhaps looking at the performance of the more recent MS releases when dual booted with Linux might provider you with additional weight for your proposal. Good Luck
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

Return to “Installation & Boot”