Is it normal to need nomodeset after a full installation?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Roland
Level 3
Level 3

Is it normal to need nomodeset after a full installation?

Post by Roland »

I did, with some troubles, a full installation of Mint12. I needed nomodeset and acpi=off as parameters, but once I had installed my nVidia-drivers I could boot normally for 1 week now.

Today, my pc frooze (funny: it was playing music (banshee), and it sounded like an old turntable getting stuck, repeating the same 5 secs of music again and again; sorry for my bad english)

Afterwards I could only boot by adding nomodeset to the grub parameters again. The nVidia drivers are still activated. Is there any explanation for this error?
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Is it normal to need nomodeset after a full installation

Post by viking777 »

I thought that nomodeset was needed to use Nvidia drivers - I certainly have that boot option enabled. Doesn't explain how you got it to work for a week without it though?
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

I need to know (as a newbie) - how do i enter "nomodeset" into the boot parameters?
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

norm.h wrote:I need to know (as a newbie) - how do i enter "nomodeset" into the boot parameters?
Temporarily (one boot only) or permanently? The methods are different.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

Sorry, I didn't realise that.
Both would be very helpful, thanks.
Would the "one time" work on a Live CD?
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

Would the "one time" work on a Live CD
Yes it does.

When you get the grub boot screen highlight the first entry (up/down arrow keys) and press 'e' to edit. Use the arrow keys again to move the cursor to the end if the line starting with the word 'linux' and here type a space followed by

Code: Select all

nomodeset
Press Ctl/x to boot.

After install, for a permanent fix hit Alt/F2 and type gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

In gedit make the relevant line look like this:

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset"
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

Many thanks
brencam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brencam »

PMJI here but I just had to go through this myself with a new nvidia card. However there is one more step required after updating the grub file. To make it stick you also need to open a terminal/console and enter:

sudo update-grub

On your next boot you should be able to start up normally with no further intervention.

BrendanC
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

brencam wrote:PMJI here but I just had to go through this myself with a new nvidia card. However there is one more step required after updating the grub file. To make it stick you also need to open a terminal/console and enter:

sudo update-grub

On your next boot you should be able to start up normally with no further intervention.

BrendanC
Thanks Brendan, I forgot about that.
Roland
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Roland »

viking777 wrote:I thought that nomodeset was needed to use Nvidia drivers - I certainly have that boot option enabled.
So I was wondering: why is nomodeset not a default parameter, or more easily to find? How does one expect beginners to find/understand this? I am afraid that lots of beginners will not use Linux if even the live cd does not boot.
I see in forums (fora) that a lot of people are having troubles like me.
And I found this:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get- ... fault.html
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

why is nomodeset not a default parameter,
It is. I have never had to manually enter it in my life, it is always automatically entered into the appropriate place when I install the Nvidia drivers. No user action needed - not by me anyway.
kernowmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kernowmint »

I agree that this is a potential deal-breaker for Linux newbies. I get the impression from the various forums I've looked on that it mainly affects HD graphics cards. I never had to type "no modeset" to boot any Linux distro until I acquired my new laptop. If I'd encountered that when I first became interested in Linux, I'd never have attempted it and I'd have missed out on three years of enjoyable computing. Is this a kernel-related issue or something that individual distros can look at? It would be a shame if fewer people tried Linux because of this when distros like Mint are pulling out all the stops to make Linux easy for newcomers and non-techie folk like me.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

I installed Mint 12 on my custom built desktop machine, which has an nVidia graphics card, with no problem whatsoever.
When i tried to install on my laptop, using the same CD, I got a sticking cursor which could only be overcome with "nomodeset".
This I found out after "playing" with openSUSE, hence my earlier post asking how to get it (nomodeset) into Mint.
One thing happens which is known - it "breaks" Gnome 3. The desktop on my two machines is different.
Not a problem for me, but worth noting.
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

One thing happens which is known - it "breaks" Gnome 3
Not for me it doesn't. I use Gnome3 all the time and I use Nvidia with the nomodeset option.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

norm.h wrote:..... The desktop on my two machines is different.
According to system info, my laptop is is fallback mode.
Hence the difference?

Return to “Installation & Boot”