Boot problems with Live CD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dholl2000
Level 1
Level 1

Boot problems with Live CD

Post by dholl2000 »

OK here is my sit-rep;

have an old IBM netvista desktop workstation - P3-1.0GHz, 256MB RAM, partitions: /dev/hda1 = WinXP; /dev/hda2 = ext3 fs; /dev/hda3 = swap (400MB)

The CD I have burned is valid and used to install on a laptop I have.
The IBM netvista CD-drive is, well, poor at best. I get alot of I/O ERROR buffer errors on some distros, Ubuntu 6.10 (or greater), 6.06 (or lower) install OK. PCLinuxOS - same I/O ERROR problem with CD drive.

Slackware 12 and deriv's work fine (zenwalk, vector), but god damn it I really want Linux Mint 4 on this workstation.

I have googled about and I see the ubuntu alternative ISO's can be installed from a hard drive - but not Live CD's.

Is it possible to install a Live CD from a hard drive if you have CD drive prob's like above?

Also, I have tried the wiki [http://linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Tro ... ur_Live_CD] but when I get dumped into Busybox it cannot find piix module when I enter:

Code: Select all

modprobe piix
Any light thrown on this would be sincerely appreciated - gr8 dist BTW
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Boot problems with Live CD

Post by Husse »

It is possible to boot from a hard disk, but really difficult and there is at least on description of it somewhere in this forum
But it's relatively easy to use a pendrive instead of a CD link below
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=a
A busybox is not really of much use, you should have a normal CLI to be able to do anything of significance. Unfortunately sometimes the only thing you get is a busybox

Return to “Installation & Boot”