Unable to install linux on WINXP acer travelmate-help

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lesley57

Unable to install linux on WINXP acer travelmate-help

Post by lesley57 »

hi guys/gals,

Firstly, I'm a newbie, so be gentle. Recently got hold of acer travelmate with intention of installing mint 12 on it for my mum. Attempted to install mint 12 by:
inserting installation cd/dvd (not sure which), esc boot, change boot to cd drive - response booted to XP.

inserting cd/dvd, booted, attempted to enter set-up - requested password ???, so tried changing to previous - same response latter

inserted usb install mepis, esc boot, change boot to usb, booted to XP.

Both these options had worked with compaq presario!!! Thought last option not working might be due to unetbootin not being on laptop? have read similar posts, wondering if following might work - would appreciate some advice:

boot with a Plop boot cd in my cd drive ( http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html ) and the usbkey in a usb slot. It booted Plop as expected, I used this to transfer the boot to usb and what do you know, it started! Not only that but it installed as well. So success with attempt number 10.

Thanks Lez :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Unable to install linux on WINXP acer travelmate-help

Post by AlbertP »

Perhaps you used a DVD in a drive that can only boot from CD's?
I have no idea how old your Acer Travelmate is, by the way.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
lesley57

Post by lesley57 »

Well, went away & tried that with mint 10 on cd-r & ubuntu on cd-r. No luck. boots to WINXP
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

In that case I'd just use Plop to boot your CD's.

But perhaps there's an easy fix to get the laptop to boot from Linux CD's. Did you try burning the discs at a slower speed? Already tried both CD and DVD? (CD editions can be burnt on a DVD without any problem)
Or perhaps you need to upgrade the BIOS from Windows.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Installation & Boot”