Missing Menu/Toolbar

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newyorkpaulie
Level 3
Level 3

Missing Menu/Toolbar

Post by newyorkpaulie »

I installed Mint 12 (gnome) on my ThinkPad T30. All went well but my screen has no Menu button or Toolbar so I'm just stuck there. Double clicking does nothing and right clicking just brings up the box with Create New Folder, etc. choices. I tried going to the outer edges and clicking/double-clicking, but zilch. Any ideas anyone? Thanks. Got the same (no) results with 11 and am currently successfully running 10. I tried this (12) install twice with 2 separate downloads/disk-burns.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Running Linux Mint Mate 20.3 on a T61 ThinkPad.
tropicsteve

Re: Missing Menu/Toolbar

Post by tropicsteve »

i have the same problem with the missing toolbar/menu upon boot up. sometimes i can log out and back in again and it will work, but most times not. :? you can use control-alt-delete to log off. sometimes i have to log on & off several times or log on & off as guest and back to the main user, etc. pretty annoying though. also, if you have the linux mint intro window pop up on booting, you can at least get on the web browser by clicking on "forums".
Last edited by tropicsteve on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
newyorkpaulie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newyorkpaulie »

tropicsteve wrote:i have the same problem with the missing toolbar/menu upon boot up. sometimes i can log out and back in again and it will work, but most times not. :?
Thanks, I will try the logoff/logon tip.
Running Linux Mint Mate 20.3 on a T61 ThinkPad.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

I am also having that same problem with Mint 12 Gnome, the tool bars are missing and there isn't any main menu, installation completed without any problems. The only things on the desktop are the Home and Computer icons.

I was previously running Mint 11 Gnome without any problems, and I can get Mint 12 LXDE to work, although I can't say if it is working 100% correctly having never used it before.

My computer is one I built several years ago, it has an AMD 64 2800+ processor with a Via K8T800 chipset, and 512 MB of ram. The Video card is a nvidea GeForce 5500.
Here is a bit more information:
System: Kernel 3.0.0-12-generic i686 (32 bit gcc 4.6.1)
Desktop LXDE (Openbox 3.5.0) Distro Linux Mint 12 LXDE
Machine: Mobo MSI model MS-6702 version 1.0 Bios American Megatrends version Version 07.00T date 04/02/01
CPU: Single core AMD Athlon 64 2800+ (-UP-) cache 512 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2) bmips 3600.19 clocked at 1800.095 MHz
Graphics: Card: nVidia NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org 1.10.4 drivers nvidia unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau Resolution 1440x900@50.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce FX 5500/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW! GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.30 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller driver VIA 82xx Audio port c000 bus-ID: 00:11.5
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: 1.0.24
Network: Card Realtek RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port d400 bus-ID: 00:0b.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex:
Drives: HDD Total Size: 100.3GB (3.1% used) 1: /dev/sda Maxtor_6L100M0 100.3GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 92G used: 2.9G (4%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 0.53GB used: 0.04GB (8%) fs: swap
Sensors: Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info: Processes 107 Uptime 1:13 Memory 156.0/496.4MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.7.7
Last edited by timmn1 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

timmn1 wrote:My computer is one I built several years ago, it has an AMD 64 2800+ processor with a Via K8T800 chipset, and 512 MB of ram. The Video card is a nvidea GeForce 5500.
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 not work with Gnome shell or cinnamon ( with current driver , i don't know in future ) , If you want use LM12 Gnome with this card, select MATE or Gnome classic from login screen. LM12 LXDE is working fine and LM12 KDE boot with "nomodeset"
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

mank_in wrote:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 not work with Gnome shell or cinnamon
Why did I have the feeling that somone was going to say that? Oh well, off to find a different video card.

Thanks
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
davidroyburnett

Post by davidroyburnett »

I logged off and when the small window appeared on the left hand side of the screen I right clicked the wheel on the right of the box and selected MATE for my desktop settings and when I logged in again it came back - looking better because the info from the top toolbar was in the bottom one like windows - which I prefer - have not yet got used to the ubuntu look or the panel on the left which makes my computer look like a mobile phone. Am happy with MATE!
ravi shastry

Post by ravi shastry »

Folks,

We are very new to this. I am not a very computer literate person, a geek as one might say. We are a E-Waste Recycler and see tremendous value in reusing systems using Linux Mint 14 as the OS, when the systems are sold. Yes we are faced with an uphill battle of consumer awareness. The hard drives are completely wiped using DBAN and then we install Mint.

For the most part it installs fine, but there are a few systems that when installed; you will not see the Menu Bar at the bottom left, that allows you to click on to let it expand. We are not sure if it's related to the board or what. All we know to do is set them aside for now. There's no way the average consumer can work with that. You cannot make shortcuts.

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Ravi

Return to “Installation & Boot”