Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Re: The definitive dual-booting guide

Post by Brian49 »

Would someone very kindly point me to guidance on dual-booting Helena and Gloria, please? A user has reported elsewhere on these forums that they've been able to get this working. This seems a bit mysterious to me, what with Helena using grub2 and Gloria grub1. I want to keep Helena as my default since it's better overall, but I've irretrievably lost a couple of things I used to have in Gloria (ability to print from my HP1018, and digital audio output). Many thanks.

pc10pc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pc10pc »

i wonder if anyone can comment on my situation
my laptop has a C partition and a D partition, both ntfs and windows vista on C (C/120Gb D/30GB) The D partition is named recovery and has a bunch of files on it.

I'd like to dual boot with mint on the D drive, but i have a few questions. Firstly, are the windows recovery files purely to restore the preinstalled software, or are they required to reinstall vista should anything go wrong? I'd back these up to an external drive.

Secondly, the dual boot guides i have read all deal with installing on a single partition. What is the process for installing on a pre partitioned disc? do i have to delete the D partition using windows, leaving unallocated space for mint?

any help is appreciated, i feel i have about 90% understanding... but the remaining 10% is gnawing away at me!

mahutchinson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mahutchinson »

I have just installed Mint again after a while not using it, dual booting with Windows 7. Afterwards I reinstalled the Windows MBR and now the PC only boots into Windows. I want it to dual boot with Windows as default but can't remember how to do this. I tried looking for the menu.1st in Mint but can't find it anywhere even through a search of the whole root partition. Does it have a different name or is it wiped by Windows ?
Asus P5B, Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 1.86GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS, Hitachi DeskStar 1TB SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache, Maxtor 160GB, WD 320GB My Book, Linksys WRT54G, OCZ 2x1GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Platinum XTC, Windows 7 Home x86, Linux Mint x86,

breaker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by breaker »

You all need to make new threads instead of posting help questions in this one. You will get faster and better help that way. Thanks :wink:
rtfm - read the fine manual...
Boot info script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280
grub2 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
PC-BIOS based booting, mbr, boot records; http://thestarman.pcministry.com/

spnoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spnoe »

sunyata wrote:Question: How to default startup with Windows XP in dual boot with Mint

I have Windows XP Home on my laptop and have dual boot with Linux Mint. Everytime when I startup, it will default to open Linux on the menu and if I don't quickly select XP within a few seconds, it will automatically startup Linux. As my work requires me to open up XP first, how can I make the startup to default at XP?

Can someone please show me how to make it automatically default to open XP, and only start Linux when I choose to:

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.
Sunyata. I have used GrubED to change bootup OS. It is easy to use and is a small download. Here is a link;
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/S ... 4505.shtml

Best wishes, Steve

macrylinda1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by macrylinda1 »

olik wrote:Has anyone experience with this one http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
it can manage linux swap 1 and 2 and it can "Rebuild NTFS boot sector
"
or this one http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
"PhotoRec ignores the filesystem and goes after the underlying data,
so it will still work even if your media's filesystem has been
severely damaged or re-formatted."

Could that work for me?

If so should I run that software via windows or via Linux mint (which still uses that swap, so I assume windows would be better, no?
Thanks again for every help
oli
I have used TestDisk/PhotoRec with great success. But you would need to run it from a LiveCD, such as PartedMagic LiveCD.
And make sure you have enough space to recover the files.

procopio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by procopio »

Does having 2 operating system can slower a PC in loading files? I've heard that it is ok to have 2 operating system but I'm curios about the speed. what are the steps on having 2 operating system? Thanks to those who will reply> :D

leejosepho
Level 2
Level 2

Post by leejosepho »

procopio wrote:Does having 2 operating system can slower a PC in loading files?
No. One system might run faster or slower than the other, but one system will not affect the speed of the other.
procopio wrote:what are the steps on having 2 operating system?
That can depend upon what systems you have in mind. I have Windows 98, 2K, XP, 7 and Mint 9 on this machine, and I installed Windows first and then added Mint.

What operating systems are you thinking about having?

Baddcog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Baddcog »

OK, I decided to try Mint 9.

I made the liveCD, did instal, but i didn't want it on my already cramped C: drive (only have 4 gigs anyway) but I wanted it on same disc, different partition. I got it installed through the loader and changed partitions to swap and FX3 (or whatever it is).

I guess this makes the dual boot option not available but that's what I want. So I have Win7 Pro 64 on C: and Mint9 on dev/sbb 3 (I think). Anyway, I can see the Linux partition if I boot with CD but I can't get Linux to actually boot (and can't see that partition in Win7.

Of course you can't easily resize the OS disc in Win7, you have to buy 3rd party stuff.

And the post above points to grub ed, but that looks like it needs run IN Linux, but I can't boot :(

Any ideas how I can get the ddual boot to run with the instals I already have FROM Win7?

Return to “Installation & Boot”