Live USB installation problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zach99

Live USB installation problem

Post by Zach99 »

I'm having the most frustrating issue.

I installed the Linux Mint 12 32 bit DVD iso file to a USB drive using UNetbootin and when I attempt to boot from it on my acer Aspire One netbook, It boots into command line. Where I expect to have a linux mint desktop I have the characteristic UNetbootin menu with the following message underneath:

Welcome to Linux Mint 12 Lisa (GNU/Linux 3.0.0-12-generic i686)

Welcome to Linux Mint
*Documentation: http://www.linuxmint.com

mint@mint ~$

When I type 'startx' I get the fatal error "no screens found." It does this in and out of compatibility mode. I've run Mint 9, 10, and 11 on this machine (currently have Mint 11 installed to the hard disk), all installed from a USB containing the 32 bit DVD iso created with UNetbootin. The processor is an Intel Atom processor with 2gb of RAM and a 500gb hard drive, so I don't see where hardware could be the problem as this falls well within the system requirements.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usbtux

Re: Live USB installation problem

Post by usbtux »

You've remade the usb, at least once?
You've re downloaded the iso and rewritten the usb using unetbootin?
Zach99

Re: Live USB installation problem

Post by Zach99 »

Several times, yes.

-EDIT-

I've tried it with the 32 Bit DVD and the 32 Bit CD iso's. I've also tried it with Ubuntu Oneiric. I've made the USB on two different machines (my netbook and my desktop, both running Mint 11) using the same version of UNetbootin. I've never had a problem installing Linux on my netbook via a USB drive before (I've had Mint 8,9,10, 11, LMDE, and Ubuntu Natty all on this machine). I'm starting to think this is a problem with UNetbootin.

Return to “Installation & Boot”