Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
richardglobal
Level 1
Level 1

want to instal mint11 but small HDD space

Post by richardglobal » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:24 am

A friend wants to use my mint11 disc to install it on to her windows computer. However, looking at her 80 GB HDD, there is a large (>1GB) unmoveable file near the top end with less than 10 GB available above it, although I can't find out exactly where on the disc it is and hence exactly what space is available to form the new partitions. From information on the forums, it seems that mint plus a swap file might just squeeze in here but space is needed for her documents, photos etc (my very modest use of the mint partition is already 6.7GB). Is there any way that windows can move this file or is she doomed to depend on microsoft? Thanks for any help.

usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: want to instal mint11 but small HDD space

Post by usbtux » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:04 pm

FILE ? Use WinDirStat Portable to find it http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ ... t_portable. Do you mean there's 10G space left on her disk?

You'd be pushing it to have enough space for both windows and allow for any increase in docs and outher crud that builds up.

Yes Mint will install in 4G but you need free space for both windows and mint you may be better off installing mint to a 16G flash drive.
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17.3 Mate. Pepermint 6 & Manjaro 15.12 Capella XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850

richardglobal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by richardglobal » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks for the reply, usbtux. After defragmenting, there's 30GB or so of free space after all the files and before this fixed one (windows swap file space??) and then less than 10 GB after it which would be available for linux. So there's lots of free space on the disc but not where we want it - it's nearly all only useable by windows! Installing linux to an external USB HDD (or a second internal one) may be the answer.

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edwardr » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Does she already have her documents, pictures etc. on her Windows installation (i.e. in folders under "My Documents")? You can have the Linux installation point the /home/documents, /home/pictures etc. folders to their corresponding Windows folders and not have to copy all those files over to the Linux partition. Install the Linux OS and after installation configure Linux to automount the Windows ntfs partition, then delete the data directories from the new Linux install (i.e. documents, downloads, music, pictures etc.) and replace them with symlinks to the corresponding Windows data directories i.e. My Music, My Pictures etc. That way, whether she is booted in to Windows or Linux, she sees all her data files in the same directories.

If you still want to get more space for the Linux installation, try this. Do this at your own risk! Don't blame me if her system gets borked! Clean out the Windows installation to free up space - Ccleaner is a great program for this. The large unmovable file is probably the windows page file (windows version of swap). Edit the pagefile settings to set the size to zero (i.e. get rid of the pagefile). Reboot then defragment the hard drive (you can use the Windows defragment utility or download Defraggler, which is made by the same company that makes Ccleaner). Reboot using your Linux cd and run gparted and shrink the Windows partition to create the space you want for Linux. Install Linux. Reboot into Windows, edit the pagefile settings to recreate the pagefile and reboot Windows to create the new pagefile. Hopefully everything still works and she can choose to log into either Windows or Linus at startup, and she can share files between the two if you set up Linux as I suggested in the previous paragraph.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true

richardglobal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by richardglobal » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Thanks, edwardr, that was what I was hoping for. I quite see the risk and I'll discuss it with her. How do I edit the pagefile settings - is there a windows utility for this?

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edwardr » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Under Windows XP go to the Control Panel, open System, click on the Advanced tab, under Performance click Settings, then under the Advanced tab click Change under Virtual Memory, then click No paging file. If she's got Windows Vista or 7, use Google to find out how to change the paging file
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true

richardglobal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by richardglobal » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks again. She's got XP so we'll see!!!!! Many thanks for your help.

usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by usbtux » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:26 pm

Ok 30GB space.
Start mint livecd/usb
From Gparted shrink the windows partition down by 15GB so you'll have 15GB of unallocated space after the windows partition.

From the installer
Install alongside
Woosh mint will install in the unallocated space and add the grub loader giving you the option to boot mint or windows.
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17.3 Mate. Pepermint 6 & Manjaro 15.12 Capella XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850

richardglobal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by richardglobal » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:59 am

Thanks everyone. Installed it yesterday, following your advice, and it all went perfectly - didn't need the backups at all! Both OSs working properly and a delighted new Linux user. Thanks again.

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edwardr » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks for following up. I like hearing how things worked out,

Return to “Installation & Boot”