Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rik_rs
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Repo without audio recorder of any kind

Postby rik_rs » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:57 am

Hi there,

I'm a little bit upset that in 2017 the repo doesn't contain any kind of audio recorder software, not simple (like Windows accessories->audio recorder) nor more advanced like Audacity.
Every piece of software for audio recording needs a PPA, and PPAs are not a good choice for security.

I've also tried to do that with VLC but no luck: I can rec on an already existing file, but I can't create a new one.
In the end I did it in a VM with windows! :oops:

Shouldn't be the time to add something to the repo? It's a quite important basic accessory.
Last edited by rik_rs on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18 Mate 64 bit

Moem
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Repo without audio recorder of any kind

Postby Moem » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:10 am

Eh? Are Audacity, Traverso and Ecasound not in the repos for Mint 18? If that's the case, shame on Ubuntu's repos I guess.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

rene
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rene » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:19 am

Moem wrote:Eh? Are Audacity, Traverso and Ecasound not in the repos for Mint 18?

They are, and so are Ardour, mhWaveEdit and, for KDE users, KWave. The basic command line recorders parec and arecord for Pulseaudio respectively ALSA are moreover not just in the repo's, but installed by default.

rik_rs
Level 2
Level 2

Postby rik_rs » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:42 am

It was a problem of an empty APT cache! Now that has been reloaded I can actually see Audacity, Ardour and others! :)

This case addresses another problem:
if the cache is empty, the software manager should at least notify the need to download the list.
Same problem with Synaptic.
Mint 18 Mate 64 bit

ajgreeny
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ajgreeny » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:46 am

There is a PPA repository for a package named audio-recorder which should be fine for the current supported versions of Mint.

See https://launchpad.net/~audio-recorder/+ ... ubuntu/ppa for details and how to enable it. I've been using it for a long time now in Xubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 with no difficulties or problems; it is simpler than Audacity, which I also use a lot though mainly for editing audio, not so much for recording.

Well worth a look!

Moem
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Moem » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:37 am

rik_rs wrote:It was a problem of an empty APT cache! Now that has been reloaded I can actually see Audacity, Ardour and others! :)

So the original problem is solved? Cool! Then you can mark the thread as such. :D
I would recommend starting a new one for the apt cache problem.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

phd21
Level 14
Level 14

Postby phd21 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:27 am

Hi "rik_rs",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

If you are using Linux Mint 18 and not 18.1, I would also recommend updating to it from your Mint Update Manager.

Although you should be cautious installing software using a PPA from unkown sources, there are well known PPA's that are safe to use. Also, PPA's usually provide easy to use Linux ".deb" files for installing software, by going to the PPA site, clicking "view package details" on the right side, then locating and clicking your version of Linux Mint (Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial = Linux Mint 18.x, or Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty = Linux Mint 17.x), then clicking the 32-bit or 64-bit (or for "all") that your computer uses, then just double click the downloaded deb file to install it, if it does not start installing automatically.

Big +1 for Audio-Recorder for simple audio recording...
Linux Mint 18

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:audio-recorder/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install audio-recorder

Linux Mint 17.x or earlier

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:osmoma/audio-recorder

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install audio-recorder

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.2, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

rik_rs
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Repo without audio recorder of any kind

Postby rik_rs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:33 am

I prefer to use only the repo for the basic stuff, except a couple of software that are in the repo but I prefer to download and put in /opt to have the latest version + OS version independent. E.g., Netbeans is in the repo but I use everywhere the version downloaded from Oracle.

I mentioned "a basic recorder" just to say I wasn't able to find not even a basic recorder in the repo, but I'm fine with the advanced Audacity because I've been using it for ages and I really need it's filters and tools.

For the other problem, I'm going to report it as enhancement.

Thanks everybody!
Mint 18 Mate 64 bit

Return to “Software & Applications”