[SOLVED] Using LuckyBackup successfully - or better Grsync?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
InChrist
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Using LuckyBackup successfully - or better Grsync?

Postby InChrist » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Until now I get strange results with LuckyBackup when copying from my laptop to an USB-external-HD. Most directories and files are copied, but many not.

I do not see the reason yet nor found a hint in the manual http://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/manual.html.
Update: I found an explanation: FAT-filesystem (Windows) of the external disc will result in many mistakes. I have FAT32 on the external HD.

I would also use another Backup-Programm from the LM repository if this will work. Happy about your experience to learn from.

Some errors:

Code: Select all

rsync: mkstemp "/media/kl/K N/kl/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/.gphoto2:host=%5Busb%3A001%2C010%5D.9fkzRQ" failed: Invalid argument (22)
rsync: mkstemp "/media/kl/K N/kl/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/.gphoto2:host=%5Busb%3A001%2C010%5D-87483616.log.74q9jR" failed: Invalid argument (22)

rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/media/kl/K N/kl/Documents/Z/Backup/Wordpress backup manuell " failed: Invalid argument (22)
*** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***

rsync: write failed on "/media/kl/K N/kl/Documents/goo mail takeout-20170711T110854Z-001.zip": File too large (27

rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/media/kl/K N/kl/ownCloud/For ..." failed: Invalid argument (22)
*** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(393) [receiver=3.1.1]
Last edited by InChrist on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
I would be happy to receive competent clear help.

Newbie on Linux.
No terminal use strongy preferred right now if any other helpful solution.
HP-ProBook-470-G3 Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64
Cinnamon 3.2.7, Linux Mint 18.1

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Using LuckyBackup successfully - or better Grsync?

Postby austin.texas » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:42 pm

Change the file system on the external HHD's partition from FAT to ext, and it should work fine.
Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

Linux Linx 2017

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:27 pm

There are several issues with Lucky: German Umlauts, non-Linux file system, empty folder on the target.

I recommend Back in Time.

InChrist
Level 3
Level 3

Postby InChrist » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:07 am

Thank you, Austin and Cosmo.

As I use Cinnamon can I still use Back in Time which has a gnome and kde front end? Which one to choose?

I want to use the external HD also for backing up from Windows 10.

I used the backup tool of my LM-System called Backup Tool now but it is now calculating for 10 minutes and not going on to backup anything yet.

I begin to understand the problems but am not sure if I have found the best solution yet. To stay with FAT32 and change the filenames to allowed characters for Windows or changing to EXT4 and not knowing if I can backup with Synctoy from a Windows computer to this external HD also.

File names https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx#file_and_directory_names

I have found options
https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Linux-Partitionen_unter_Windows/#ext2fsd. I wonder if using the paragon driver described there for writing on a ext4 file system from a Windows computer would allow me to use SyncToy to backup to the ext4-external HD.

Newbie on Linux.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:35 am

For Back in Time with Cinnamon use the gnome front end.

Back in Time has no problem with non-Linux file systems, so you can use also a NTFS or FAT partition. You might alternatively consider to create 2 partitions on the target drive: One as ext4 formatted, the other one for Windows backups.

MintBean
Level 6
Level 6

Postby MintBean » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:15 am

I would recommend NTFS over FAT.

InChrist
Level 3
Level 3

Postby InChrist » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:23 am

Thank you to all. This was encouraging and clear.

I also researched some more in the internet and so came to decide and had peace in prayer to try ext4 for the external backup USB hard disk and some USB sticks. It works great. No problems at all.

I also testet Back in time but it had the same problems as Lucky Backup with FAT32 especially for file names with unsupported characters on FAT32. With Ext4 Lucky Backup runs smoothly and is easier for me to use and also has very powerful option.

On the windows machines where I want to read or write on my external ext4 drives I installed Paragon ExtFS https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/. With this software started the drive is mounted automatically and ready to use - just like a Windows drive.

So I am totally happy right now. If any problems will come up, I will report here as information for others.

(I also tried to backup to a NTFS-drive with LuckyBackup. This works, too.)

Newbie on Linux.

Return to “Software & Applications”