Leaving iTunes but using iPods

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Spacecadet
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:03 am

Leaving iTunes but using iPods

Postby Spacecadet » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:40 pm

I am trying to get my partner off Windows. The only reason they are still there is iTunes. Everything else can be seamlessly done on Linux. They already use Firefox and Thunderbird and Office Libre. But they love their music and love their iTunes. I have unsuccessfully tried in the past a dual boot. And Wine was impossible. I just wondered if there now exists any Linux based programmes where they can import their iTunes playlists intact and still be able to use their iPods to sync their new downloads? They use their iPods for both songs and videos. Same with iTunes playlist it has both video and audio. I just drag and drop on my mp3 player and have no idea how Apple products work as I have never liked them or used them. I just want this to be a good experience for my partner as they have a low skill set for computers generally.

User avatar
Moem
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3970
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Leaving iTunes but using iPods

Postby Moem » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:54 am

I've not tried it but AlternativeTo gives me the impression that Clementine should work.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Mattyboy
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:17 pm

Re: Leaving iTunes but using iPods

Postby Mattyboy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:50 am

Moem wrote:I've not tried it but AlternativeTo gives me the impression that Clementine should work.

Yeah, +1 for Clementine.

OP totally forget running iTunes under Wine, genuine Apple users can't keep up with the constant 'updates' and changes Apple make to the program. No way Wine will.

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2888
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: Leaving iTunes but using iPods

Postby Hoser Rob » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:05 am

Mattyboy wrote:... OP totally forget running iTunes under Wine, genuine Apple users can't keep up with the constant 'updates' and changes Apple make to the program. No way Wine will.


+1. Just forget it. If your partner needs WIndows to run iTunes, and they really want to keep it, let them do it.

User avatar
MintBean
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2545
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:54 am
Location: Blighty

Re: Leaving iTunes but using iPods

Postby MintBean » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:42 pm

If they love their iDevices and they love their iTunes, they won't love Linux. There's no point even trying.

Spacecadet
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:03 am

Re: Leaving iTunes but using iPods

Postby Spacecadet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:57 am

But surely there are other perfectly okay music managers besides iTunes? As it is iTunes has formatted their iPod twice and I am not keen never to do that again. Life times of carefully collated memories into nothing.

User avatar
MintBean
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2545
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:54 am
Location: Blighty

Re: Leaving iTunes but using iPods

Postby MintBean » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 am

Clementine as mentioned is perfectly good but probably not as flashy as iTunes.
BUT... can they live without their integrated store? This means going to other online stores to purchase music and adding it to the library/
BUT... do they have a monthly 'all you can eat' subscription with iTunes? They will have to find an alternative (e.g. Amazon music) but it's not integrated with Clementine.
BUT... iPods are flaky with Linux because Apple breaks compatibility. Will they get ticked off with that? Are they prepared to move away from the iPod to an alternative?

There's a firmware called 'Rockbox' that you might investigate to see if it's compatible with the iPod. That could ease the compatibility issues with Linux.

Spacecadet
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:03 am

Re: Leaving iTunes but using iPods

Postby Spacecadet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:26 pm

MintBean wrote:Clementine as mentioned is perfectly good but probably not as flashy as iTunes.
BUT... can they live without their integrated store? This means going to other online stores to purchase music and adding it to the library/
BUT... do they have a monthly 'all you can eat' subscription with iTunes? They will have to find an alternative (e.g. Amazon music) but it's not integrated with Clementine.
BUT... iPods are flaky with Linux because Apple breaks compatibility. Will they get ticked off with that? Are they prepared to move away from the iPod to an alternative?

There's a firmware called 'Rockbox' that you might investigate to see if it's compatible with the iPod. That could ease the compatibility issues with Linux.


Rockbox looks good. Fortunately they don't do all the iTunes bells and whistles so losing access to those will not be an issue. The 2 ipods are fairly old but still work fine. But liberating them from iTunes and turning them into a a generic mp3 player would be good. If they go the Rockbox road will they also have access to their downloaded videos? If so all good. Then we can work with that and Clementine.

User avatar
MintBean
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2545
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:54 am
Location: Blighty

Re: Leaving iTunes but using iPods

Postby MintBean » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:13 am

Spacecadet wrote:If they go the Rockbox road will they also have access to their downloaded videos? If so all good.
I don't have an iPod, so I'll leave it up to you to look at what support Rockbox has for your specific devices. It should all be listed on the site somewhere fairly obvious.

ColdBootII
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:19 am

Re: Leaving iTunes but using iPods

Postby ColdBootII » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:00 am

I use Harmony (native app for Linux) with Deezer. Works like a charm. :D

Image

User avatar
JerryF
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:23 pm
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: Leaving iTunes but using iPods

Postby JerryF » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:12 am

Spacecadet wrote:...As it is iTunes has formatted their iPod twice and I am not keen never to do that again. Life times of carefully collated memories into nothing.

I find it hard to believe that iTunes would do this. It's usually user error.

Please let your partner know this---make a backup of important files from now on.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.


Return to “Software & Applications”