Can I change the view when I try to open a file thru the browser?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Can I change the view when I try to open a file thru the browser?

Post by mazerunner » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:05 pm

When I try to open a file through the browser (firefox, chromium etc) I can't seem to change the size of the icons.

I need, for example, to open a picture in some online editor the icons are too small. I can't see which image is which. Is there a way to be able to choose the view style there?

thanks
Last edited by mazerunner on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Can I change the view when I try to open a file thru the browser?

Post by phd21 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi "mazerunner",

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Your post's image is not showing up?

A browser's "open file dialog" is controlled by the browser or passed through to the operating system's "open file dialog". As far as I know, only KDE has a user configurable "open file dialog" box with the options you are looking for.

Unless I do not understand what you are asking, there is another post on this topic, only it was for someone who wanted to upload images to Ebay and similar websites and wanted to see the images first.

Hope this helps ...
OpenFileDialog1.jpg
KDE - Slimjet & Chrome browsers - Open File Dialog
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mazerunner » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:38 am

Hi. I run Linux Mint 18.3 “Sylvia” Cinnamon.

I think that you undrstood weel what I am asking. If image files appeared like in the image you posted, I would be very satisfied. Now, it's tiny icons of a couple of pixels where I cannot figure out what the actual image is.

:/

mazerunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mazerunner » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:29 am

Here's an example of what I see:

You need to click on the file to actually get a preview which is very inconvenient, especially when you have a ton of image files in a folder. I'd like the files to show in thumbnails so that I can pic the right one, directly.

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:46 am

Hi "mazerunner",

I posted a feature request for an improved "Open File dialog" on the Cinnamon site, but someone said that it is a function of the GTK3 system (GTK3/GTK2) not Cinnamon. I do not know where to post the feature request for that yet, do you or anyone else know where that might be? I would think that if enough people requested these new improved features, then they would incorporate them in the next release and or perhaps provide an update for them. They are logical and reasonable requests.

So for now as I stated before, I think Linux Mint KDE is the only system that provides these features in the "Open File Dialog" or File Dialogs.

You, and anyone else, can also request these features from a browser's (or other application) developer's website.

I think it would be better to have these "Open File Dialog" features available system-wide for all applications which apparently would be part of Linux GTK3 and GTK2 development.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Flemur » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Not sure I understand the questions but "Ctrl" and "+" will increase text and image size in a browser. ("Ctrl" and "-" decrease, and "0"= reset). Some browsers have a setting to make that change only the text - if your image doesn't get bigger, check for that.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi "Flemur", and anyone else,

To try and clarify this topic:

When you open a File Dialog box in Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce through your browsers and other applications, you do not get an automatic file preview with image icons, and or the ability to adjust those icon sizes. You can click a file and see a preview on the right in most cases, but that is not the same. If you are trying to upload an image or images to a forum, Ebay, Image websites, etc. and you want to see and or sort by dates and times (details) and you have a lot of images to look through, this becomes a difficult task. KDE already has this built-in...

Hope this helps ...

OpenFileDialog1.jpg
Open File Dialog
OpenFileDialog2.jpg
Open File Dialog - larger icons

Return to “Software & Applications”