Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1

.zip problem?

Post by Bara-Bus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:06 am

Prior to uploading files to iCloud, I .zipped them with a password. Due to Windows installation (Files) destroying my LinuxMint OS yet again, I had hoped that downloading my .zipped files from iCloud would give me all my files back. But, upon entering passcode it says :
Error passcode.png
Error passcode.png (11.38 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Unable to unlock?
: Lover of Linux Mint since January 2014
: Supporter of Linux Mint since April 2018

karlchen
Level 19
Level 19

Re: .zip problem?

Post by karlchen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:25 am

Hi, Bara-Bus.

On which of the 2 operating systems did you create the password protected ZIP files(s)? On Windows or on Linux Mint?
Which software did you use to create the ZIP-file(s)?
Which software did you use when you tried to unzip file ZIP-file(s)?
You are absolutely sure that you entered the right password with the same capitalization?

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.1 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:55 am

I found that some files give that error instead of prompting for the password. The original File Roller accessory will probably work...
sudo apt-get install file-roller
The garden roller icon is a different colour and it can make ISO9660 archives, something which was deleted from the Mint version.

Legacy password zip files have very weak encryption, hacked wide open for many years now. Superficially, it's as good as the password. Without 'salt' in the 'hash' though, it's only proof against casual human snooping, wide open to a machine-attack.

If you really want to hide the data, 7z with a Strong Password will do that... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_strength

"One gains much more security by just increasing the password length by one character than changing the password on every use."
Tommy reports the scan of zircon and opal storage is complete. When shall we go today?

Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bara-Bus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:54 am

Mute Ant wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:55 am
I found that some files give that error instead of prompting for the password. The original File Roller accessory will probably work...
sudo apt-get install file-roller
The garden roller icon is a different colour and it can make ISO9660 archives, something which was deleted from the Mint version.

Legacy password zip files have very weak encryption, hacked wide open for many years now. Superficially, it's as good as the password. Without 'salt' in the 'hash' though, it's only proof against casual human snooping, wide open to a machine-attack.

If you really want to hide the data, 7z with a Strong Password will do that... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_strength

"One gains much more security by just increasing the password length by one character than changing the password on every use."
karlchen wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:25 am
Hi, Bara-Bus.

On which of the 2 operating systems did you create the password protected ZIP files(s)? On Windows or on Linux Mint?
Which software did you use to create the ZIP-file(s)?
Which software did you use when you tried to unzip file ZIP-file(s)?
You are absolutely sure that you entered the right password with the same capitalization?

Best regards,
Karl
Thanks for your help guys you pointed me in the right direction. Instead of having Pzip standard I installed Pzip Advanced. That worked.
Zip problems.png

Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bara-Bus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:56 am

One more point when using iCloud they expect you to zip them first. That's all.

Marked as solved I hope?

Return to “Software & Applications”