Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tosim
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Software Manager Gone

Post by tosim » Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 am

Running v18.3,64b. When I uninstalled Flatpack, via terminal, it also uninstalled Software Manager. Next day, today, I typed into terminal "sudo apt-get install mintinstall", in order to reinstall the Software Manager.
However, I did not run the command, as it looks like, to me, it will reinstall Flatpack. Please see attachment. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments
termsoft.jpg
Last edited by tosim on Wed May 16, 2018 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

karlchen
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Software Manager Gone

Post by karlchen » Tue May 15, 2018 9:45 am

Hello, Tosim.

Suggests that Software Manager (mintinstall) considers flatpak as a needed component. Therefore the only way of getting Software Manager back is by accepting to re-install both, mintinstall and flatpak.
In case you do not want to install any software provided by flatpak, no problem. Simply do not do so. - What is the problem here?

Side note:
Personally I use Synaptic Package Manager to install / uninstall software. Synaptic Package Manager will only offer software which is available in the official software repositories and in any PPA, which has been added to the software sources list. Flatpak software will not be visible in Synaptic.
Personally I prefer Synaptic over Software Manager, because it gives me more control over what is going to happen.

Best regards,
Karl
--
P.S.: As the reported issue is not specific to Mate or any other desktop environment, the thread will be moved from "Mate" to "Software & Applications".
Old bugs good, new bugs bad! Updates are evil: might fix old bugs and introduce no new ones.

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Hoser Rob » Tue May 15, 2018 9:59 am

+1 on Synaptic Package Manager. If I don't use that I use the terminal. I can';t even remember what the software center (or whatever they call it) looks like.

Many beginners seem to like stuff like this or the ubuntu equivalent for its user reviews. The trouble with that is that users who are experienced enough to do good reviews rarely use that software anyway. So the reviews are useless.

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Flemur » Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 am

karlchen wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:45 am
In case you do not want to install any software provided by flatpak, no problem. Simply do not do so. - What is the problem here?
I uninstalled "flatpak" and let it uninstall mintinstall because I don't want to accidentally have anything to do with "flatpak" after using it once (which is not surprising since it's from "freedesktop.org") and have always used synaptic anyway.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Tue May 15, 2018 1:07 pm

tosim wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 am
Running v18.3,64b. When I uninstalled Flatpack, via terminal, it also uninstalled Software Manager. Next day, today, I typed into terminal "sudo apt-get install mintinstall", in order to reinstall the Software Manager.
However, I did not run the command, as it looks like, to me, it will reinstall Flatpack. Please see attachment. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
As karlchen said, reinstall mintinstall and flatpak. Then, open Startup Applications and see if a program is set to startup called Flatpak. Disable that.

When you open Software Manager, Flatpak should be greyed out.
IF AND WHEN your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

karlchen
Level 19
Level 19

Post by karlchen » Tue May 15, 2018 4:04 pm

JerryF wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:07 pm
Then, open Startup Applications and see if a program is set to startup called Flatpak. Disable that.
When you open Software Manager, Flatpak should be greyed out.
This is what I like about the forum, you learn something new every day. Thanks, JerryF. :D
Old bugs good, new bugs bad! Updates are evil: might fix old bugs and introduce no new ones.

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Wed May 16, 2018 8:47 am

karlchen wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:04 pm
This is what I like about the forum, you learn something new every day. Thanks, JerryF. :D
I'm honored :P
IF AND WHEN your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

tosim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tosim » Wed May 16, 2018 9:08 am

Thanks to all of you for your replies. There really was no problem-I just wated to make sure that if I clicked y to install what would happen. I just did that, then checked startup apps-removed flatpack from that. BTW-I too, usually use Synaptic for installs, however, I do install, AND USE, some programs that are not available there. Again, thank you all. We can consider this resolved.

karlchen
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [Solved] Software Manager Gone

Post by karlchen » Thu May 17, 2018 8:29 am

<moderator on>
Split lsemmens's question which were better suited for Mint, Software Manager or Synaptic, off and turned it into a new thread, because it is no longer about the reported problem. New thread: Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager?
</moderator off>

Return to “Software & Applications”