Trouble downloading Audacity

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Harmon02

Trouble downloading Audacity

Post by Harmon02 »

Any help appreciated. I'm virtually a computer illiterate.

(1) Entered sudo add-apt-repository ppa: audacity-team/daily. Thought that went well the first time. (2)Then entered sudo apt-get update. (3)Then entered sudo apt-get install aydacity. Terminal now showed "Could not open lock file/var/lib/dpt/lock. Decided to try it from the start again. This time after (2) I got on the terminal W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous file filter will be used. GPG error: Http://dl google.com stable Release: the following signatures could not be verified because the public key is not available NO-PUBKEY 1397BC53640DB551. W: Failed to fethch http://dlgoogle.com/linux/earth/deb/dis ... le/Release. W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead. E: Encoutered a section with no package: header. E: Problem with mergelist/var/lib/apt/lists/packages kinuxmint.com_dists_qiana_mail i18n_translation. E: The package lists or status file cannot add PPA:'NoJSON object could be decoded. I'm lost!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Trouble downloading Audacity

Post by Pierre »

it seems that you've got google.earth files that are confusing the situation.

where is the instructions that you were following ? where did you get that from ?.

and which version of LinuxMint are you using ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Audacity is in the Mint repositories... have you considered using Synaptic to install it? :mrgreen:
Audacity.png
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I just use the one in the repositories from Mint has always worked for me.
The problem with the lock file usually means that you have another instance of apt running. either the software manager or synaptic. close that is the command

Code: Select all

sudo apt install audacity
should work.
you may have to disable the ppa you tried to add to get it to work. you can do that by going to software sources in the administration menu.
Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's recommended generally that beginners stick to the software from the standard, tested repos that you get using software manager or synaptic package manager. Downloading something from the mfr's site seems obvious to a WIndows user but this is Linux, and it's different.

The main reason is that Linux doesn't have backwards or forwards compatibility like WIndows does, so you need software that works for your point release. Other software may work but don't count on it. I have very few programs installed that aren't standard repo versions.

Audacity uses audio formats that have been standard for years and as such it's pretty mature so I wouldn't expect to need a newer verison than the repo one. But some users just want the newest version of everything for its own sake, and if you end up adding too many sources without knowing what you're doing you'll end up breaking the install system.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Hi Harmon02,

There seems to be a plethora of issues with your package management. Let's take some steps and see if we can get closer to a solution, hopefully with help from others chiming in:
Could not open lock file/var/lib/dpt/lock
As has been said above, you would need to make sure that only one instance of "package manager" is running. So close Synaptic, Software Manager etc.
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous file filter will be used. GPG error: Http://dl google.com stable Release: the following signatures could not be verified because the public key is not available NO-PUBKEY 1397BC53640DB551.
The following command will download the key and then use apt to install it. Copy and paste it in a terminal:

wget -q -O - https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -
Type in your password followed by enter.
E: Problem with mergelist/var/lib/apt/lists/packages kinuxmint.com_dists_qiana_mail i18n_translation.
Open Software Sources from the application menu. Once opened, click on "Maintenance" --> Fix MergeList Problems. Close the window. Next, in a terminal run:

sudo apt-get update
Most probably, you will get other error messages, but hopefully less this time. Highlight the whole of the output in the terminal, copy and post back here.

Cheers

Return to “Software & Applications”