Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
JTvD
Level 1
Level 1

Install linux programs

Post by JTvD »

Hello Linux newby her.

I know how to install software from the program list bud how to install a program from a site like this:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/
Iĺl download it save it to a disk.
When i open the "zip" file bud no install file?

How install i this program.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Instal linux programs

Post by Pjotr »

Don't even try. Too difficult even for most advanced users. :)

Stick to what's in Mint's "app store". Both for the sake of ease and for security.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Instal linux programs

Post by trytip »

the link you gave in the OP is audacity 2.1.0 from 2015-03-29. why would you want to install this?
The version currently hosted here is 2.1.0 (March 2015)
read a little of description, don't just install anything the internet spits at you

what exactly are you trying to do. install audacity or learn how to install from odd sources?

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Install linux programs

Post by phd21 »

Hi JTvD,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

"Audacity" is already available in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). If for some good reason you want an updated version and an updated version is available, then you can use their recommended PPA, see instructions below.
Audacity Audio Editor and Recorder : Panda Jim
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/ ... u/audacity

"Sourceforge" and other websites have all kinds of great software packaged in all kinds of different ways by the software developers, some options are easy and others are not so easy. Best to ask here first for recommendations.

Always check to see if any software applications you want are available in the Linux Mint repositories (Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)). If the software is not available there or you need or want a newer version, then use an alternate installation option. Compiling software from source code is usually the last option anyone should choose, but sometimes it is the only good option available.

To install "Audacity" (currently version 2.2.2) using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right-click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert or Ctrl+Shift+v), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/audacity

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt install audacity

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

let me help you boil this down and make it simple for you to install...
click open the "menu"...click on "software manager"...in the upper right corner of the software manager is a search bar...type in "audacity" (without the quotation marks)...it will automatically find it in the software manager for you as soon as you type it...click on it and it will reveal the "install" button...click "install"...a box will appear telling you what will be installed as dependencies with it...click it and it will ask you to just type in your password and install it withought fuss at all...the one in the manager is version 2.2.1-1, (thats newer than the 2.1.0 your trying to install from a tr-gz file), the latest version that works with Linux mint at the moment...it will also update itself with the regular updates offered when Mint updates...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

stormryder
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stormryder »

JTvD wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:41 pm
You have to compile it first. That means you download the source code and install the needed dependencies then run the command make from the proper directory in a terminal.

It can often be tough to understand which versions of dependencies are needed and some aren't even available from the software manager and have to be compiled as well. Sometimes dependencies can conflict with the ones already installed on your system as well.

Not all tars are the same either. Some developers provide a fully compiled package that will run from your home folder. Simply extract it wherever you like then run the executable file in a terminal. The readme file will often tell you which command to use for this. You can also create custom launchers to launch these programs by clicking an icon on the desktop or panel.

I prefer to get the code directly from the developer if possible. I really don't care for middlemen.

I never was successful at compiling audacity and I don't know if compiling something that requires you to remove dependencies is the best choice for someone trying to learn how, but at worst all you will have to do is reinstall mint. Hopefully you have got all your important files backed-up no matter what.
More information about compiling audacity.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/ins ... linux.html

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

stormryder wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:09 am
You have to compile it first. That means you download the source code and install the needed dependencies then run the command make from the proper directory in a terminal.

It can often be tough to understand which versions of dependencies are needed and some aren't even available from the software manager and have to be compiled as well. Sometimes dependencies can conflict with the ones already installed on your system as well.
Plenty of reason, especially for a newcomer, to go with the easy and foolproof way:
- Open Software Manager from your menu
- Search for 'audacity'
- Click on the correct search result
- Click 'Install'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

stormryder
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stormryder »

Moem wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:43 am
Plenty of reason, especially for a newcomer, to go with the easy and foolproof way:
- Open Software Manager from your menu
- Search for 'audacity'
- Click on the correct search result
- Click 'Install'.
No reason to ignore the question though, I think encouraging people to learn is a good thing and even if the OP just wanted to install audacity the easiest way what harm is there in giving them more information?

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

stormryder wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:04 am
even if the OP just wanted to install audacity the easiest way what harm is there in giving them more information?
Some people get discouraged because they think the more advanced way is the only way available.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob »

Software installation via going to the mfr's site and dl'ing an installer package is natural in Windows, not in Linux. Beginners who try this usually are left wondering why they just can't double click the dl'ed file. In Linux it's more complex, and beginners are advised to stick to repo software if possible for good reason.

Sometimes you would need a newer version than the one available in the repos via software center or synaptic but usually you don't. These apps are mostly pretty mature tech. The FOSS world couldn't work without that. So there aren't usually any really earth shattering new features, and getting the latest bug fixes means getting the latest bugs too.

If something is only available via a source package (that's what those .tar files are), I'm hesitant to install it. I know how to compile and build but Mint is Ubuntu based and uses its repos. Ubuntu has the undisputed largest Linux user base there is. If the devs can't come up with at least a .deb file (where the dependencies ARE handled by the system), it's probably a POS and I don;t want it.

ALmost all my app software comes from the repos. I used a .deb file to install Chrome and a couple of ppas for things like streaming downloaders. For something like that you do need something updated more often than repo software because streaming sites change their protocols often. But I can't think of much else.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens »

JTvD wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:41 pm
Hello Linux newby her.

I know how to install software from the program list bud how to install a program from a site like this:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/
Iĺl download it save it to a disk.
When i open the "zip" file bud no install file?

The aforementioned suggestions are all valid, but for any newbie, especially for programs that are already in the software repository, this is the BEST way to go. Once you are familiar with how Linux handles things you can then play around. Moem is one of our Moderators here and her suggestions should be given due weight. I'm not belittling any other suggestions but, in this case, hers is probably the safest route for you at this stage.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

stormryder
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stormryder »

Moem wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:19 am
Some people get discouraged because they think the more advanced way is the only way available.
I agree with that. Audacity was the first software I tried to compile, I had been using mint for about 8 months and I couldn't find it in the manager, I don't think it was available for mint 14.

What I forgot, as well as everyone else, is that the best answer to this thread has already been written.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158#p554614

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

this is one of those threads where the OP joined asked something then never returned: Joined Sep,10 Posts 1:

Return to “Software & Applications”