<SOLVED>Ifuse? for LM 18.xx to recognise Iphone 5 pic downloads

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DAMIEN1307

<SOLVED>Ifuse? for LM 18.xx to recognise Iphone 5 pic downloads

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

im out of my element here since i know nothing about smart phones or iphones in particular...in a few hours, i need to go over to an 84 yr old friends house to find out just how to get his LM 18.xx to be able to access his iphone 5 via usb hookup so he can download his pics etc to his computer...when i researched what i could through startpage, DDG, google, etc. the only thing i see that is remotely close is "ifuse" needs to be installed which is in the repositories...in the meanwhile, he installed "gthumbs" which i believe is nothing more that yet a gnome pic viewer...any info i can get in the next four or five hours or so would be helpful, hopefully from an iphone 5 user who knows something about how to do this simply...thanks...DAMIEN
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Ifuse? for LM 18.xx to recognise Iphone 5 pic downloads

Post by wallyUSA »

DAMIEN, I tried using iPhone 7 w/USB cable last year. Could not find a way to make it work. What I ended up with was using a cloud sharing service (pCloud) on both my iPhone and LM (also works on Windows). This is a quick reply w/o details but you may want to look at it as a solution. Added benefit, gives backup in the clouds.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Second the cloud based solution ... Apple has zero interest in Linux support, and they change things a LOT. So any non cloud solution you find that works is going to fail pretty soon.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

yea, i kinda figured this was going to be the case concerning apple products which is probably why ive refused to own any throughout the years...so with pcloud, it has to be installed on both the iphone as well as the LM 18?...DAMIEN
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:22 am ...so with pcloud, it has to be installed on both the iphone as well as the LM 18?...DAMIEN
Yes, go to pcloud.com. You can find pcloud in the apple app store. Free are both!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Free are both!
...ok yoda...lol...all kidding aside, this seems to be the best way to go...thanks to you both, wally and hoser...i wont mark it solved until i see it work on the computer in question...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

ive noticed that in synaptic and software manager it appears to be callled "sftpcloudfs"...is this correct?...once i get over to the old fellows house and install, will a simple "sudo apt install pcloud" suffice to install it for him?...DAMIEN
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:01 pm ive noticed that in synaptic and software manager it appears to be callled "sftpcloudfs"...is this correct?...once i get over to the old fellows house and install, will a simple "sudo apt install pcloud" suffice to install it for him?...DAMIEN
No idea about "sftpcloudfs". I downloaded file from pcloud.com and executed it. It installed and created a folder called 'pCloudDrive' under home.

DAMIEN1307

Re: <SOLVED>Ifuse? for LM 18.xx to recognise Iphone 5 pic downloads

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

thanks guys...it worked beautifully...all i really had to do was have the old guy hit the pcloud app on his iphone and creat a drive acct...on his LM18.xx cinnamon all i had to do was not to download the pcloud entire program but just the pcloud drive sign in screen and everything just worked...he is very happy because unknown to me today, he went to the apple store in town and they told him that it absolutely would not work with his iphone to a linux OS...hehehehehh...but it did, first shot, with no messing around...DAMIEN
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: <SOLVED>Ifuse? for LM 18.xx to recognise Iphone 5 pic downloads

Post by wallyUSA »

Glad you got it working. I guess the Apple people live in a closed world :!:

Return to “Software & Applications”