(SOLVED) PLEX Media Manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrGrimm

(SOLVED) PLEX Media Manager

Post by MrGrimm »

is anyone using plex and if so can you please take a look at the follow thread and then post anything you think will help me fix my issue? thanks

https://forums.plex.tv/t/files-and-fold ... -19/334653
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: PLEX Media Manager

Post by WharfRat »

Can I see your ls -lhd /media/*
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

drwxr-x---+ 11 root root 4.0K Nov 19 17:54 /media/mc2635599

is that what you're looking for?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm,

I had issues with Plex reading folders and files on other drives and partitions until I used the "Disks" application to auto-mount them which also updates the drive "fstab" file (restart the computer before adding the new drive partition locations to Plex). I highly recommend giving your drive partitions volume "labels" that make it easy to identify them before auto-mounting them rather than using the cryptic UUID drive ID code. Also, after using "Disks" the mount location usually changes from the "media" folder to the "mnt" folder.

NTFS Partition does not activate even with automount, until clicking drive in file manager - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=278971&hilit=disks

Media Server - What to use? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=273165&hilit=plex

FYI: I did not have to change "permissions" after switching the external drive(s) mounting locations from "media" to "mnt".
Linux Permissions Guide | Plex Support
https://support.plex.tv/articles/200288 ... ons-guide/

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

they are automounted, never had a issue with that. 2 usb3 drives 9 partitions automounted on every boot.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

MrGrimm wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:46 pm drwxr-x---+ 11 root root 4.0K Nov 19 17:54 /media/mc2635599

Exactly what I was looking for :wink:

The easiest thing to do is to move your media files to a different folder like /media/plex/, e.g., /media/plex/TV, media/plex/photos etc. etc.

The reason being is your /media/username folder is under the control of access control lists which is an additional layer of permission complexity. See man acl

Set the folder permissions to 0755 and owner group to your user unless there's a plex group then set the group to plex and see how that works out.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm,

I have read a lot of posts and articles on this, and as soon as you change the mounting of the external drive(s) and their partitions that contain the multimedia files to another mounting point other than the default automount location "media", then they should be accessible to add as libraries to Plex and other applications. The "Disks" application will usually use the "/mnt" folder as the new mounting point. I did not even have to change user permissions on those locations after doing this to be able to access external drive partitions and their content for Plex to add the new library locations and work properly although that may help as well.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
rafanb

Post by rafanb »

try use plex with docker, very simple

https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

WharfRat wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:15 pm
MrGrimm wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:46 pm drwxr-x---+ 11 root root 4.0K Nov 19 17:54 /media/mc2635599

Exactly what I was looking for :wink:

The easiest thing to do is to move your media files to a different folder like /media/plex/, e.g., /media/plex/TV, media/plex/photos etc. etc.

The reason being is your /media/username folder is under the control of access control lists which is an additional layer of permission complexity. See man acl

Set the folder permissions to 0755 and owner group to your user unless there's a plex group then set the group to plex and see how that works out.
you mean the media plex creates, right? if so you may have the best solution for me. if so can you please elaborate?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I brought this up years ago and from the lack of response I got I assumed everyone thought I was crazy but ....

I don't use plex but from all the posts about this thing it appears to run as the user plex. That causes all sorts of issues and in partucular this topic since it's trying to access a directory under /media/$USER. But that folder is designed to allow only $USER access to what is under it.

It just seems to me that rather that contort oneself to modify permissions or change mount points an easier approach would be to run plex as $USER as jamesmehorter did here: Plex Wont Read Folders/Files on Mounted Drive in Linux Mint
jamesmehorter
Feb '16

Instead of messing around with permissions/ownership I chose to run Plex as my user (who has access to my hard drive/media). Simply edit the PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER value in your Plex Server config located at /etc/default/plexmediaserver, e.g.

PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER=james

Then restart the plex server:

sudo service plexmediaserver restart

Afterwards you can select media on your hard drive.

3 months later
admbaum
Apr '16

this ^ works everytime.

Why force a round peg into a square hole when you can just do this.
Last edited by altair4 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

MrGrimm wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:57 am is anyone using plex and if so can you please take a look at the follow thread and then post anything you think will help me fix my issue? thanks

https://forums.plex.tv/t/files-and-fold ... -19/334653
I don't see any sign you ever tried what was suggested to you in that thread.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

MrGrimm wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:13 am
you mean the media plex creates, right? if so you may have the best solution for me. if so can you please elaborate?
Can I see what you have here ls -lhd /media/$USER/*
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

altair4 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:42 am I brought this up years ago and from the lack of response I got I assumed everyone thought I was crazy but ....
Thank you so much for posting this! This is my first time seeing this info, and it's exactly what I needed to get Plex working on my system. I have been struggling for weeks with this, and your linked info showed my just what I needed to do to make my media available to my Roku. Now it works! Not crazy at all!
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

HAPPY, HAPPY, JOY, JOY

thanks everyone for the suggestions they ALL help me figure it out WITHOUT have to edit permissions, or installing additional software:

create a folder in /home

open disk from the startmenu
once open select the drive you want, then the partition you want
click to unmount
click on settings
select edit mount options
turnoff automount
check mount at system startup
change mount point to /home/your username/name of the folder you created in /home
optional change filesystem type to ntfs
click ok
click to remount(may need a reboot)

open plex
add new library
in general select what you created(in my case tv series) so tv shows
name it
on add new media select / then you folder in home/your user name/the folder you created
unless there is anything you want to change under advanced simply click save changes

FYI this method works for external ntfs volume. i do not know how it would work on external volume with a linux file scheme

thanks again everyone for helping get this solved
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

FYI: The Disks application would have created a new working mounting point location for you and it works for both NTFS or Linux filesystems in Plex as well.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

phd21 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:25 pm Hi MrGrimm,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

FYI: The Disks application would have created a new working mounting point location for you and it works for both NTFS or Linux filesystems in Plex as well.
COOL good to know my post will work for those under a linux format as well. thanks again

Return to “Software & Applications”