Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mrbill
Level 1
Level 1

Manually Installed App Disappears on Mint 19

Post by mrbill » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 am

Hi Experts,

Yesterday I did a new clean install of Linux Mint 19. Did all the updates.

Then downloaded the latest versions of Free Pascal (fpc), fpc source, and Lazarus IDE from SourceForge. Installed them. Installed perfectly. New entry in the Mint menu and all. Ran it, works great. Even compiled and ran a little program. Ahhh, satisfaction.

So this morning, I fire up my PC and go to start developing some Pascal and lo and behold, there is no Lazarus IDE, no Free Pascal, no nothing.

I call up Timeshift and I can see that it was installed yesterday. But it's gone today.

Is this some kind of automatic anti-virus thing at work? Something that automatically removes code that didn't come from the repository?

Does anyone know why or how this app was removed and how I can keep it from happening again?

Thanks,
Bill

all41
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Manually Installed App Disappears on Mint 19

Post by all41 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:17 am

This sounds like what happens when you are booted from the usb/dvd .iso in the live desktop mode.
Not what would be expected if installed to the hd.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

mrbill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mrbill » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:30 am

Yes, that is what it sounds like, but the CD is sitting on my desk. And the original files I downloaded are still in my Downloads folder.

Very strange.

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Are you logged into a guest session? If so, the point of those is that the home directory "resets on logout". Given that a guest account would also not have permission to install anywhere else, your home directory would also indeed be where everything was installed; given the somewhat minimal description I haven't checked "SourceForge packages" to see if that's actually possible.

Sounds somewhat far-fetched, but certainly disappearing applications also do. No, there's certainly no cleaner going around your system removing repository or non-repository applications.

A question is also why you did install from SourceForge rather than repository; (stable) fpc is both upstream and in the repository at 3.0.4; Lazarus seems to be at 1.8 in the repository and 1.8.4 upstream. Was there a reason or did you just not know they were in the repository? If not, sudo apt-get install fpc{,-source} lazarus should work.

mrbill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mrbill » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:18 am

I was logged in as the user I created when I installed Mint. When I installed fpc/Lazarus from the downloaded (SourceForge) version, the Package Installer was used. I don't remember, but I assume the package installer would have installed the files as root. But maybe it didn't. Maybe that's the cause of the disappearing files.

I chose the downloaded package because when I loaded repository version, something didn't load correctly. I figured I'd try the official latest version.

What I did eventually was reload Mint 19 again to make sure everything was clean, got the updates, then loaded Lazarus from Synaptic. Found that what didn't load was the fpc sources. I found them in Synaptic and loaded them and all worked fine except there is still an error message at startup which seems to be meaningless. I will post information about that message in the Lazarus forums. Doesn't seem to effect Lazarus performance.

So, in order to get things running, I rebuilt the machine and destroyed evidence needed to find the cause of the missing files.

So I think we can close this discussion for now.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
Bill

Return to “Software & Applications”