Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TanisMajere
Level 1
Level 1

Mint & Level 2 Hypervisors

Post by TanisMajere »

Hi folks!

I've been doing a bit of digging and noticed most of the topics on Hypervisors is a year old or older. So I thought I would revisit the topic and have some questions for the forums...

Considering that VMWare just launched its' new licensing model to rip more money out of our pockets...because they, and parent Dell, do not have enough money...I'm going "shopping" for a new Hypervisor. One that is going to hit my pocket minimally. I do not have a huge enterprise but I do run a respectable 15/20 Windows Servers VM's and around 600 users.

I don't know that it really matters whether or not I run a stage 1 or 2 hypervisor now that I think about it. To be frank HA and Vmotion like capability would be a huge bonus but it wouldn't be earth shattering if I didn't get it. So far I'm in the early stages of the hunt. I'm testing Mint 19.3 running VirtualBox 5 (I figured it would be wise to use the version that came with the Software Manager...I assume Mint put it there because they TRUST it and it's well tested). I'm going to also look into KVM so that gives me 1 each of the two stages.

My current environment is 3 Dell PowerEdge servers with 2 processors/10 cores each on VMWare Essentials 6.0... I WAS going to add the Essentials + kit to get my HA and Vmotion. The servers are old and I was getting ready to upgrade all my servers to new Dells running the AMD EPYC w/48 Cores each...but as I said VMWare is going to charge for 2 licenses per processor with anything over 32 cores...soooo.....

My question for the crowd is...

1. Does anyone have any experience with either of these Hypervisors...or any of the other "free" ones?

Any thoughts and/or opinions would be super greatly appreciated. I've got to be honest...I've been impressed by VirtualBox. The fact that it has Oracle behind it is a huge plus for me. But I do not have blinders on and am wide open. I've a pretty straight forward environment with only one true Enterprise application in our ERP system so "most" of these servers are file servers/utility servers (print/dns etc...) or small industry specific application/db systems.

I look forward to reading the feedback!
Grab the bull by the horns.

deck_luck
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint & Level 2 Hypervisors

Post by deck_luck »

TanisMajere wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:24 am
My current environment is 3 Dell PowerEdge servers with 2 processors/10 cores each on VMWare Essentials 6.0... I WAS going to add the Essentials + kit to get my HA and Vmotion.
I am unaware of your VMWare knowledge, so please do not be offended by my response. Do you understand the type of storage requirements to implement VMWare VMotion and or HA? What type of storage are you currently using?

I have never used VirtualBox in an enterprise production environment. For personal use, I use it for over a dozen Linux distros for initial testing and evaluation. VBox is basic virtualization software with nothing advance like VMWare VMotion or HA. It has worked well for my personal use; however, my use is light duty cycle and nothing like a 7x24 enterprise environment.
💡Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. ✝️ 🐧Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE
How to get help How to mark topic as [Solved]

TanisMajere
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint & Level 2 Hypervisors

Post by TanisMajere »

Hey Deck!

No worries...not offended at all! You never know unless you ask. :wink:

I do understand what it takes for HA and Vmotion...

So I have a couple of different solutions in place...much like my described environment...all old. lol!

I have 2 Dell PowerVault iSCSI enclosures, 1 Dell PowerVault minSAS direct connected. Those three account for about 50TB of disk. There is a bunch of local Host disk as well in the Dell servers. I also have 4 InforTrend SANS totalling out at about 100TB. All of those are, at a minimum, 3 years over EOL. I'm "trying" to go out and get (https://www.netgear.com/images/datashee ... R4360S.pdf) I can't wait to play with this Netgear...60 Bays, 600TB and supports both Business and Consumer class SATA/SAS drives...ALL in the same enclosure. We'll see....

I'm well versed in Vmware...I'm just hunting down potential alternatives. I'm probably more interested in the HA possibilities as I am Vmotion. My environment offers plenty of time to shut a server down to migrate it. HA...that's obvious...lol

So I wonder...you mentioned you run a bunch of different test beds etc....how reliable have you found VirtualBox?

Obviously I reached out to Oracle and they've told me that they do have VirtualBox in organizations as a production tool. I'm just looking for real world folks and their experiences as opposed to the corporate heads talking. lol

I look forward to hearing back from you! Thanks for reaching out!
Grab the bull by the horns.

Return to “Software & Applications”