jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Cant install "Wine" on Mint 20.1

Post by jimallyn »

road_freak wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:10 am
I tried installing from Synaptic and it failed with this error:
W: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file '/root/.synaptic/tmp//tmp_sh' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)
Should i try installing thru console ?
That's not a fatal error, it's just a warning. It appears that some get that warning and some don't. I believe a while back the Mint developers said they could not duplicate that problem. I can duplicate it. But it doesn't affect anything, so I ignore it.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

motoryzen wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:46 pm
I never see the right click " Open with Wine Windows Program Loader".
See the first answer here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1033692 ... ram-loader

I had that same problem today and the first answer in the link fixed it.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
road_freak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by road_freak »

All right now this is exiting! I can't thank you enough for your dedication on this problem!
Here is where I'm at:
In root terminal i ran:

Code: Select all

apt purge wine*
Returned:

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Then:

apt purge "wine*"
Returned:

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Finaly:

apt-get install wine32
Failed with:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 wine32:i386 : Depends: libc6:i386 (>= 2.28) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libwine:i386 (= 5.0-3ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Some extra stuff i did that you had in your posts:

dpkg -l "wine*" | grep ^ii
dpkg-query: no packages found matching wine*

apt purge wine-staging-i386:i386 wine32:i386 
Building dependency tree       
E: Unable to locate package wine-staging-i386:i386
Should i try and install " libc6:i386 " and " libwine:i386 " ? Or does this have something to do with the step where you "Enable 32 bit architecture on your 64 bit system" I meen this (I have not run that since last time my pc crashed) :

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 
Hope you will have a great rest of your day.
road_freak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by road_freak »

jimallyn wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:03 am
That's not a fatal error, it's just a warning. It appears that some get that warning and some don't. I believe a while back the Mint developers said they could not duplicate that problem. I can duplicate it. But it doesn't affect anything, so I ignore it.
This way of installing crashes my pc , most of my apps cant run and the next time i boot it boots without a GUI. As i explained here:
road_freak wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:53 am
Okay so i had to turn off the pc, and when i booted it again it booted in "Console mode" im not sure if thats what you call it but no gui only text. I then googled a bit for this issue and reinstaled "lightdm"
Using this command:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall --install-recomendes lightdm
It booted then but the login screen has a different background and most apps are missing, the ones that are there will not run.
I tried the commands you gave me for removing wine:

sudo apt purge wine
sudo apt autoremove
Please help im a bit scared.

I'm saying that installing from Synaptic crashes my entire system
gnappi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gnappi »

I wanted wine to be able to use a Win32 application that I've used (paint shop pro) for many years and became quite proficient at it.

I tried for too long a time to get Wine to install on 20, and followed every link until I gave up. I now use Pinta instead. Learning how to coax what I wanted out of Pinta was easier than struggling with Wine. YMMV.
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Please listen to what people are telling you if synaptic is crashing the whole system then something else is wrong other than wine.
But go to a terminal and type the follow in this order.

sudo apt purge wine

sudo apt autoremove

sudo apt upgrade

sudo apt install wine-installer
It will install the 32bit libs you need.
I also recommend install playonlinux

sudo apt playonlinux
With play on linux you can go to the tool tab and install any version of wine up to the most current - some programs will work on older version some on newer ones. But it gives you a choice. Also when you add a program in playonlinux it places it in it's own virtual file so it safer and you can try it with different versions of wine.
There is no need to go through all the problems your going through. follow the instructions you've been given stop looking at all the web pages.
Wine-install on mint install all the 32 bit programming you need. you don't have to add any repositories of multi arch the computer.
Last edited by kc1di on Tue May 11, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

road_freak wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:35 pm
Then you have a different problem than just installing wine.

Edit: and I found some bug (?) in apt relating to the packages wine-installer and wine, which might be related to your message: "wine-installer depends on wine but wine isn't going to be installed" (why not??), and the fact that I can install wine-installer without installing wine, even though the package software tells me that wine is required for wine-installer.
Last edited by Flemur on Tue May 11, 2021 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

kc1di wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:51 am

sudo apt purge wine
That's not good enough; it would just purge the one wine package, only,

Even sudo apt purge "*wine*" isn't good enough, as I discovered and pointed out upstream; you have to do dpkg -l then remove the wine packages that are still install after purge "*wine*".

sudo apt install wine installer
That should be "wine-installer", NOT "wine installer".
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

Flemur wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:01 am
kc1di wrote:

sudo apt purge wine
That's not good enough; it would just purge the one wine package, only,

Even sudo apt purge "*wine*" isn't good enough, as I discovered and pointed out upstream; you have to do dpkg -l then remove the wine packages that are still install after purge "*wine*".

That should be "wine-installer", NOT "wine installer".

Edit:

$ wine --version
wine-6.8 (Staging)
# apt purge wine
Package 'wine' is not installed, so not removed
#
# apt purge "*wine*"
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  wine-staging* wine-staging-amd64* winehq-staging*  # NOT removed by 'apt purge wine'
#
# dpkg -l "*wine*" | grep ^ii
ii  wine-staging-i386:i386 6.8~focal-1   # NOT removed by 'apt purge "*wine*"'
fbachofner
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fbachofner »

road_freak wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:30 am
Can you help me? Thank you for your time.
I have also struggled with Wine installation and use on many occasions in the past.

I immediately gave up when I found a better option: forego Wine entirely and just use Virtualbox.

Virtualbox can easily access (and send) data to local drives, network and even clipboard, so data exchange is generally very easy.

Windows running on Virtualbox is Windows, so your software will run (assuming you are properly version-matched).

Perhaps the best reason for Virtualbox is that it is simple to copy or move a system image (and all its associated programs, already installed) to another Linux (or any other OS which can use Virtualbox). This includes major upgrades (or reinstalls) of Linux on the "original" host machine. Let's assume you have /home and any Virtualbox image on a partition OTHER than / . . . just upgrade or reinstall LM, install Virtualbox, point everything at the right folders and "Bob's your Uncle!"

That said, I advise two things:
  1. Move as much of your technology stack to Linux-native software as possible. [ I have only a few apps which have no Linux equivalent. Most of the "equivalent" apps available on Linux are actually far better than their Windows counterparts! ]
  2. You will require a Windows license if you do not want to be nagged. However, keep in mind: Virtualbox can make use of Windows 10 license embedded into many system UEFI BIOS, so in many cases you will not have to pay anything (except attention :D )!

Good luck.
various self-built desktop machines and an HP Pavilion DM1Z
each runs LinuxMint 20.1 with Cinnamon
i7 self-built server --> Ubuntu 20.04 LTR (with Cinnamon, for the rare local login)
road_freak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by road_freak »

kc1di wrote:
Please listen to what people are telling you if synaptic is crashing the whole system then something else is wrong other than wine.
But go to a terminal and type the follow in this order.

sudo apt purge wine

sudo apt autoremove

sudo apt upgrade

Fails with:

Building dependency tree       
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 wine-installer : Depends: wine
                  Recommends: wine64 but it is not going to be installed
                  Recommends: wine32
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Flemur wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:57 am
road_freak wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:35 pm
Then you have a different problem than just installing wine.

Edit: and I found some bug (?) in apt relating to the packages wine-installer and wine, which might be related to your message: "wine-installer depends on wine but wine isn't going to be installed" (why not??), and the fact that I can install wine-installer without installing wine, even though the package software tells me that wine is required for wine-installer.
Where can we report this issue?

Since 2 users have given alternatives to wine and i see that as a solution, is it okay for me to mark this as "Solved"?
fbachofner wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:25 pm
I immediately gave up when I found a better option: forego Wine entirely and just use Virtualbox.
gnappi wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:41 pm
I tried for too long a time to get Wine to install on 20, and followed every link until I gave up. I now use Pinta instead. Learning how to coax what I wanted out of Pinta was easier than struggling with Wine. YMMV.
Thanks to everyone for their time and effort !
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

road_freak wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:55 pm
Since 2 users have given alternatives to wine and i see that as a solution, is it okay for me to mark this as "Solved"?
I'd mark it "gave up", or whatever, since you didn't install wine, as in the post's subject.

I can't figure out why it sometimes becomes a seemingly unfixable problem, because like I showed above I can switch back and forth between the Mint wine (v5) and the winehq wine (v6) in a couple of minutes, with no errors or problems....but I think there is some sort of package bug because package wine-installer supposedly requires the package wine, but sometimes you can install wine-installer without wine, and sometimes you can't install wine-installer at all because it requires wine but it won't automagically get installed like other dependencies. (Last resort effort: try installing wine then install wine-installer, or install them at the same time)
road_freak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by road_freak »

I reported this issue on the wine website under their "Bugzila" section. Will mark this as [Found Alternative] then.

I'm afraid i cant try "apt install wine" becouse:
road_freak wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 3:01 pm
Using:

sudo apt install wine
Crashed my pc again and i restored it back to a snapshot from "Timeshift", for some reason after typing that in the console it started removing a lot of stuff and i assume it removed things my pc needs to run programs as i was unable to run anything.
So im never ever typing that command again.
Cant thank you enough for guiding me thru this. Cheers !!
spamegg
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [Found Alternatives]Cant install "Wine" on Mint 20.1

Post by spamegg »

If sudo apt install wine is not working there is something seriously wrong with your system. You probably added conflicting package repositories. Show us

inxi -Fxmprz
road_freak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by road_freak »

spamegg wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:51 am
If sudo apt install wine is not working there is something seriously wrong with your system. You probably added conflicting package repositories. Show us

inxi -Fxmprz
Here it is:

System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-73-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: MATE 1.24.0 
           Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X512DA_X512DA v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X512DA v: 1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: X512DA.316 
           date: 02/02/2021 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 30.5 Wh condition: 30.5/37.1 Wh (82%) model: ASUSTeK ASUS Battery status: Not charging 
Memory:    RAM: total: 3.36 GiB used: 1.95 GiB (58.0%) 
           RAM Report: permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required. 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen+ 
           rev: 1 L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 20761 
           Speed: 1484 MHz min/max: 1400/2600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1375 2: 1369 3: 1438 4: 1459 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Picasso vendor: ASUSTeK driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
           bus ID: 02:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN2 (DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-73-generic LLVM 11.0.0) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.6 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.1 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor driver: N/A 
           bus ID: 02:00.5 
           Device-3: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel 
           v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.6 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-73-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
           IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 49.59 GiB (20.8%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: SanDisk model: SD9SN8W256G1102 size: 238.47 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 116.57 GiB used: 49.55 GiB (42.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 
           ID-2: /boot/efi size: 96.0 MiB used: 32.8 MiB (34.1%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda1 
           ID-3: /run/timeshift/backup raw size: 118.94 GiB size: <superuser/root required> 
           used: <superuser/root required> fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 
           ID-4: /snap/core/10958 raw size: 99.1 MiB size: <superuser/root required> used: <superuser/root required> 
           fs: squashfs dev: /dev/loop0 
           ID-5: /snap/core/11081 raw size: 99.0 MiB size: <superuser/root required> used: <superuser/root required> 
           fs: squashfs dev: /dev/loop3 
           ID-6: /snap/core18/1997 raw size: 55.4 MiB size: <superuser/root required> 
           used: <superuser/root required> fs: squashfs dev: /dev/loop1 
           ID-7: /snap/gtk-common-themes/1514 raw size: 64.8 MiB size: <superuser/root required> 
           used: <superuser/root required> fs: squashfs dev: /dev/loop2 
           ID-8: /snap/gtk-common-themes/1515 raw size: 65.1 MiB size: <superuser/root required> 
           used: <superuser/root required> fs: squashfs dev: /dev/loop4 
           ID-9: /snap/kde-frameworks-5-core18/32 raw size: 260.7 MiB size: <superuser/root required> 
           used: <superuser/root required> fs: squashfs dev: /dev/loop5 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 56.8 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 48 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2400 
Repos:     No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
           1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com ulyssa main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
           2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
           3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
           5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
           6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/teams.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/ms-teams stable main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list 
           1: deb http://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb/ stable main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64,arm64,armhf] http://packages.microsoft.com/repos/code stable main
Info:      Processes: 231 Uptime: 2h 04m Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 
           inxi: 3.0.38 
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

road_freak wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:48 am
spamegg wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:51 am
The command should have been

sudo apt install wine-installer
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608