How to install Java Web start- newbie question

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

How to install Java Web start- newbie question

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

Hi, I must get an electronic signature for my official documents and for my work. But I'm terribly struggling with making it work!
After a week of desparation I was able to find out that the electronic signature doesn't work because it can't find something called Java web. How do I install it? I have the newest java 16 installed but I still need this one. Could you please explain how to do it in the most simple, most clear way possible? Maybe I unisntalled it somehow because I was in the software manager and I clicked on install- uninstall files randomly not knowing what I was doing.
Getting exact commands would be absolutely best since I don't know those command lines for terminal. Thank you so much in advance!
I contacted their technical support but they didn't help. The guy who usually works on our technical issues doesn't work at the moment, I seriously don't know where to get help anymore.
I have Mint 20.

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: How to install Java Web start- newbie question

Post by spamegg »

Java Web Start is included in JRE.

You need to use the

Code: Select all

javaws
command on the Terminal.

Let's make sure it's working. Open up a terminal window. What do you get if you type

javaws
and hit Enter? I get a bunch of Help messages showing me its options etc.

You need to use it with the URL of the application you are trying to run:

javaws url_of_application
https://java.com/en/download/help/java_webstart.html
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

spamegg wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:31 pm Java Web Start is included in JRE.

You need to use the

javaws
command on the Terminal.

Let's make sure it's working. Open up a terminal window. What do you get if you type

javaws
and hit Enter? I get a bunch of Help messages showing me its options etc.

You need to use it with the URL of the application you are trying to run:

javaws url_of_application
https://java.com/en/download/help/java_webstart.html
Thank you Spamegg! You're very kind!
I ran the command and I didn't have anything installed but in the terminal I got a suggested command for the installation. I ran it and I installed Ice tea. There's a tiny improvement on the governemnt website. When I try to sign the document, for a second I the window with the Ice tea logo appears, as if something was starting. However, it only lasts for a second and then disappears and nothing happens.

The worst thing is that the website is going to be down for the next 2 days /they announced in advance) so I won't be able to even try anything.
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

OK I also get the Iced Tea logo. I'm not entirely sure how the rest works. You'll have to read through the documentation or ask your tech people.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, guys.

I think the issue is this:
+ the recent Windows openJDK still brings along the Javaws (Java Web Starter)
+ the recent Linux openJDK does not do so, however.

Piece of evidence from LM 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon (but the DE is irrelevant in this case):

~$ which javaws
~$ java -version
openjdk version "11.0.11" 2021-04-20
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.11+9-Ubuntu-0ubuntu2.18.04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.11+9-Ubuntu-0ubuntu2.18.04, mixed mode, sharing)
icedtea is no longer supported by openJDK 11 and above, to the best of my knowledge.
The last openJDK which supported icedtea was openJDK 8, to the best of my knowledge.

Corrected:
(spamegg's posts put me on the right track at last.)
The old Javaws browser plugin icedtea-plugin is dead.
The replacement is JavaWS through icedtea-netx, as spamegg correctly tells.
icedtea-netx will not be installed automatically, when you install openJDK. So you have to install it yourself in addition. It is available in the default Mint/Ubuntu software repos.

Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Wed May 12, 2021 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected my incorrect statements thanks to spamegg's explanation
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

I have icedtea-netx package installed. I think it's working on 11?

➜ javaws
selected jre: /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64
WARNING: package javax.jnlp not in java.desktop
Unable to use Firefox's proxy settings. Using "DIRECT" as proxy type.

SYNOPSIS
    javaws [-run-options] jnlp file
    javaws [-control-options]

OPTIONS
    When specifying options, the name of the jnlp file can be after the command, the -jnlp option, an option with no arguments, or after an argument with an option that takes one argument. A html file that launches a jnlp can be specified after the -html option.
    The jnlp-file can either be a url or a local path.
    The JNLP file should only be specified once, whether as a main argument, after -jnlp or through an html file.
    Control options:
    -about               - Shows a sample application.(No argument expected)
    -help                - Prints out information about supported command and basic usage.(No argument expected)
    -license             - Display the GPL license and exit.(No argument expected)
    -viewer              - Shows the trusted certificate viewer.(No argument expected)
    -Xcacheids           - List available IDs in cache, which you can use to delete individual applications.(Expected none or one argument)
    -Xclearcache         - Clean the JNLP application cache. If you pass argument, only specified application is deleted.(Expected none or one argument)
    Run options:
    -allowredirect       - Follows HTTP redirects.(No argument expected)
    -arg arg             - Adds an application argument before launching.(Expected one or more arguments)
    -browser             - Launch embeded browser. Use in great need only!(Expected one or more arguments)
    -headless            - Disables download window, other UIs.(No argument expected)
    -html                - Location of HTML file to launch (url or file). You can use parameter ALL  or numbers (like 1 2 5) to select applets on page. However experimental, this switch should keep you still in safety.(Expected one or more arguments)
    -jnlp                - Location of JNLP file to launch (url or file).(Exactly one argument expected)
    -nosecurity          - Disables the secure runtime environment. You need also  deployment.security.itw.ignorecertissues to workaround corrupted signatures(No argument expected)
    -noupdate            - Disables checking for updates.(No argument expected)
    -param name=value    - Adds an applet parameter before launching.(Expected one or more arguments)
    -property name=value - Sets a system property before launching.(Expected one or more arguments)
    -strict              - Enables strict checking of JNLP file format.(No argument expected)
    -update seconds      - Check for updates.(Exactly one argument expected)
    -verbose             - Enable verbose output.(No argument expected)
    -version             - Print the IcedTea-Web version and exit.(No argument expected)
    -Xignoreheaders      - Skip jar header verification.(No argument expected)
    -xml                 - Uses a strict XML parser to parse the JNLP file.(No argument expected)
    -Xnofork             - Do not create another JVM.(No argument expected)
    -Xoffline            - Prevent ITW network connection. Only cache will be used. Application can still connect.(No argument expected)
    -Xtrustnone          - Instead of asking user, will foretold all answers as no.(No argument expected)

karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, spamegg.

This might be true. I will have to install icedtea-netx and icedtea-netx-common and then try from within a recent browser (Firefox 88.0.1, Vivaldi 3.8 ).
What I had told very likely applies to the old icedtea-plugin, which definitely co-operated with Java up to version 8 only and was no longer usable with more recent Java versions, even if the browser in use (Pale Moon) still supports NPAPI plugins.

--continued--
Installled the mentioned packages. Tried Java Web Start using a demo "Notepad" application from the Oracle website. Result: indeed it works.

Summary:
spamegg, you are right. Java Web Start is available via icedtea-netx. - I was wrong.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

@karlchen No worries mate! Thanks for looking into it in detail!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, cinnamoncoffee.

Your question: How to install Java Web start?

Answer:
Launch Synaptic Package Manager from the Mint application menu.
Locate the packages icedtea-netx and icedta-netx-common. Right-click them and mark them for installation. Click [Install].
(Might be on LM 20 and 20.1 you only need icedtea-netx. On LM 19.3 I installed both.)

After successful installation there should be an additional item under "Settings" named "IcedTea Web Control Panel".
Inside your browser, when downloading a .jnlp file, you should have the option to "open with IcedTea Web"

HTH,
Karl
--
P.S.:
For those who wish to test that it works from inside their browsers, here is an official Oracle webpage, which permits to launch a (harmless) Notepad Java application through a .jnlp file: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial ... nning.html
Look for Run Notepad
Be prepared to confirm a lot of security dialogues, before the little applet comes up. :wink:
Lifeline
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Look for Run Notepad
Be prepared to confirm a lot of security dialogues, before the little applet comes up.
Wow, brings back memories... it's like 2005 and I'm using my outdated Windows 2000 again, ignoring all security... :D
But it's working, so there's that.

@cinnamoncoffee I'd suggest asking your work/official document providers to update the technologies they are using!
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

karlchen wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:50 am
Hi Karlchen, I would like to apologise for not replying to you sooner. I wasn't feeling quite well at the time of asking this question. I had so much work I somehow forgot and the method you described worked partly, not fully. Anyway, I wanted to thank you for your time and effort that you put into answering my question. I really appreciate it.

For now, I'll let this issue be and try to solve it later.

I wish you and everyone else who has responded to this thread all the best and have a lovely day :)

Return to “Software & Applications”