old Adobe Reader PlayOnLinux or standalone WINE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
krustybaguette
Level 3
Level 3

old Adobe Reader PlayOnLinux or standalone WINE

Post by krustybaguette »

Still trying to install an older version of Adobe Reader so I can print booklets. I've started using PlayOnLinux since LM20 arrived. Attempting to install Adobe Reader 9.1 seems to work until "Setup was interrupted before Adobe Reader 9.1 could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again."
PlayOnLinux DID create a virtual drive for Adobe Reader but is missing vital pieces. The only executable file is setup.exe which not surprisingly results in the same error message as above.

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: old Adobe Reader PlayOnLinux or standalone WINE

Post by Flemur »

krustybaguette wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:38 am"Setup was interrupted before Adobe Reader 9.1 could be completely installed."
Try foxit reader
https://www.foxit.com/
There's a linux version and the wine version works great and looks better.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
krustybaguette
Level 3
Level 3

Post by krustybaguette »

Thank you for replying however my reason for posting was not to find a better PDF reader. I have been using Foxit as my default PDF reader for several years. However Foxit does not have an option to print booklets. Say I have PDF with several pages. In the past Adobe reader could easily arrange to print 12 pages on 3 sheets of 8½ x 11 paper and arrange the pages so they read like a book. Adobe discontinued that feature quite a while back but I still have a copy of version 9.1. (It's a Windows version) Problem is that when I tried to install it using PlayOnLinux the installaation failed.

My question is whether installing a normal version of WINE, not using the Play On Linux front end might make the installation complete.
Last edited by krustybaguette on Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

krustybaguette wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:27 pm Thank you for replying however my reason for posting was not to find a better PDF reader. I have been using Firefox as my default PDF reader for several years. However Firefox does not have an option to print booklets. Say I have PDF with several pages. In the past Adobe reader could easily arrange to print 12 pages on 3 sheets of 8½ x 11 paper and arrange the pages so they read like a book. Adobe discontinued that feature quite a while back but I still have a copy of version 9.1. (It's a Windows version) Problem is that when I tried to install it using PlayOnLinux the installaation failed.

My question is whether installing a normal version of WINE, not using the Play On Linux front end might make the installation complete.
PlayonLinux really , no insult meant, is an archaic way of using Wine. You're really better off trying to just install the latest stable version of wine via the instructions directly from https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu ( if you're using Ubuntu Or Mint which if you're here, I'm assuming you are).

the part where it says " Add the repository:" will depend on which version of Ubuntu Or Mint you're running as to which repository you should add at that step.

When you are able to just right click the Adobe.exe installation file and you see an option to open it " Wine Windows Program Loader" even if you have to right click and " open with" and select' other application" to find that exact option.....then you'll know you've installed wine correctly.

Now having said that, I don't know if any Adobe products that are older, like your 9.1 version, that won't require any settings adjustments within wine or if you need to install more stuff ( such as for certain games or launchers like the battle net launcher now requires DXVK)..via running Winetricks, "set default prefix" and then selecting " install a Windows dll or component" and you'll see what I mean.

This link might help more https://linuxhint.com/install_adobe_reader_linux_mint/ ..... It shows v9.5.5 which , worst case..if you can't get your 9.1 version working, perhaps 9.5.5 will do the same things you need it to do.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
linux_trojan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux_trojan »

These types of questions are always of interest to me. Seem like LibreOffice can do it. But, its not very friendly and the info on the internet is always sketchy. Has something to do with Print> Properties> More?> page type A4?

Something like that. Not clear if you use Writer or Draw. Whatever it is, it wont be user friendly. All the post I see want you to specify A4 or A5 or something like that.

What i normally do is install windows as a virtual machine or dual boot when Linux is difficult.
linolenux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linolenux »

If you don't need a current version, Adobe used to release a native Linux version of Reader. I have version 9.5.5 that I installed some time ago. I don't have a link handy but there are tutorials on the web that can provide the information.
linux_trojan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux_trojan »

I found this link on the internet. I installed it. It works

https://www.fosslinux.com/1776/how-to-i ... x-mint.htm
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

The 9.5.5 i386 version works on Mint 20 (AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb). Once you find and download it follow these instructions:

to install adobe reader .deb package:

cd to the directory containing the AdbeRdr.deb

$ sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb
#There are missing dependencies so just run (at the prompt):

$ sudo apt-get -f install

#which will fix the deps and install adobe reader.

#Then, to make it work libxml2 will have to be installed:

sudo apt install libxml2:i386
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

krustybaguette wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:27 pm Say I have PDF with several pages. In the past Adobe reader could easily arrange to print 12 pages on 3 sheets of 8½ x 11 paper and arrange the pages so they read like a book.
Couldn't that be done in the software used to view the pdf, in the print settings (pages per sheet)?

Return to “Software & Applications”