[SOLVED]Container tab Firefox 89.0.1 don't function

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED]Container tab Firefox 89.0.1 don't function

Post by Pepper-Mint-Patty »

completely deleted FF

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge firefox
sudo apt autoremove
rm -r ~/.mozilla
clean instal FF 89.0.1 (64-bit)
Added add ons
Firefox Multi-Account Containers + Temporary Containers

Try to open Container: file/ new Container tab = GREYED OUT
None work
How get them Containers work?! :roll:

about:preferences#privacy
Firefox will never remember history.
Firefox will use the same settings as private browsing, and will not remember any history as you browse the Web.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Container tab Firefox 89.0.1 don't function

Post by dave0808 »

There is an option within the Settings -> General, within the Tabs section the last option is "Enable Container tabs" which I have enabled. Hopefully this is all you need.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

dave0808 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:52 am There is an option within the Settings -> General, within the Tabs section the last option is "Enable Container tabs" which I have enabled. Hopefully this is all you need.
Not in my FF-89 there isn't.

In fact I'm not even sure what container tabs are so perhaps you could tell us more.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

It's an add-on that creates separate "containers" for your browsing, which are isolated from each other in terms of cookies, history etc. So you could have 2 logins to the same site running in separate containers, and/or separate containers for Facebook/instagram, Google, Amazon, etc. so each one is unaware of the other.

By installing the add-on, the option I mentioned above should be added to the settings.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

dave0808 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:52 am There is an option within the Settings -> General, within the Tabs section the last option is "Enable Container tabs" which I have enabled. Hopefully this is all you need.
Hi dave0808,
there is no purple mask near the top right corner of the titlebar +
Privacy & Security = Firefox will: Never remember history.
So PBM is not activated.

Still i get this message:

+ Trying to open Container by file/ new Container tab = GREYED OUT And there is nothing to change in settings that will make containers work.
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

dave0808 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:04 am It's an add-on that creates separate "containers" for your browsing, which are isolated from each other in terms of cookies, history etc. So you could have 2 logins to the same site running in separate containers, and/or separate containers for Facebook/instagram, Google, Amazon, etc. so each one is unaware of the other.

By installing the add-on, the option I mentioned above should be added to the settings.
Thanks Dave.
I did eventually see that it needed an extension very late last night, then forgot all about it.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:21 am + Trying to open Container by file/ new Container tab = GREYED OUT And there is nothing to change in settings that will make containers work.
I don't have the Temporary Containers add-on that you have, so I wonder if that's the difference.

Have you got the Multi-Account Containers icon on the tool bar? Though if the menu item is greyed out, I don't expect the icon to work either.

If you've no "purple mask", then you're not in private-browsing mode, within which each add-on needs setting to work.

Given that you've already previously deleted your profiles, I would do so again to start from square one and then add just the Multi-Account Containers add-on and nothing else just to rule out outside interference. I would also remove the contents of ~/.cache/mozilla.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

ajgreeny wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:45 am I did eventually see that it needed an extension very late last night, then forgot all about it.
Ah yes, one of those moments. Not a stranger to me either. :D
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Hi dave0808, thanks for bearing with me. Followed your advice:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge firefox
sudo apt autoremove
rm -r ~/.mozilla
rm -r ~/.cache/mozilla
Clean install by software man. and only container add on.
Firefox Multi-Account Containers nore Temporary Containers work.

Completly deleted all bloody mozilla stuff again.
Re-installed firefox-89.0.2.tar.bz2 from Mozilla site.
Firefox Multi-Account Containers nore Temporary Containers work.

All make no difference! Try to open Container: file/ new Container tab is still GREYED OUT :roll:
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

I did see the following in the add-on description..
Keyboard shortcuts

Ctrl + . (period) keyboard shortcut is available to open the containers panel. You can then use tab and the enter keys to open new container tabs.
Beyond that, I have no further ideas to offer.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

I installed the add on from an other Mozilla language site link . that is the only explanation i've got... Although ona different device with same Lm 19.2 os it does work...
Anyhow now in 89.0.2 (installed by the app + add ons) it is working again... :roll:
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED]Container tab Firefox 89.0.1 don't function

Post by dave0808 »

It's great that it's working, but frustrating that there's no clear explanation. Oh well, one of those "time to move on" moments. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”