Still no decent screen capture on LM ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Still no decent screen capture on LM ?

Post by Mick-Cork »

Menard wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:58 pm
Mick-Cork wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:57 am

Hmmm, I'm running Cinnamon 19.3 and Shutter V 0.94 (the version I'm running) is present in the Software Manager here
???

For me with LM 20.1, not present
I have to admit I'm not sure if the Software Manager shows different app lists dependent on the version of LM on the users machine. The official Shutter PPA wasn't maintained for quite a while so maybe it was dropped from the repository when LM 20 was released for those running that release. Maybe someone with more knowledge could confirm one way or other?

Either way, given the confirmation by JerryF that the official PPA is now actively maintained again I'd probably just install it using the instructions on the Shutter website:

https://shutter-project.org/2021/08/10/ppa_news/
https://launchpad.net/~shutter/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Code: Select all

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shutter/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt install shutter
AZgl1500
Level 16
Level 16
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

JerryF wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:20 pm
Shutter is great! It saves JPG in customizable compression. AND now it has an official PPA (not the linuxuprising) that just was announced.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shutter/ppa
I've been using Shutter for years. Even with full screen captures, I can get an acceptable file size 100 KB and under for attachments to posting on the forum.
Hmmmm, that didn't work in Bionic

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shutter/ppa
[sudo] password for john:  
Cannot add PPA: ''This PPA does not support bionic''.
I followed the author's notes and found this that does work

sudo apt install shutter
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon / ASUS FX705GM
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

Menard wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:02 am
"Scrot application" but with a big limit that is the numbers in files is limited to 997 so regularly I lose all my screenshots because I didn't check it was close to the end
scrot doesn't have any limit on the number of files it creates; if there's a problem, it's no doubt your naming convention for the output file(s).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
rickNS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rickNS »

Mick-Cork wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:23 pm

I have to admit I'm not sure if the Software Manager shows different app lists dependent on the version of LM on the users machine.
Shutter is not in my software manager either (Mint 20.0).

Not to argue, but I suspect that you installed in another way, so now it does show in your software manager, just as Ksnip (not flathub versioin) shows in my software manager, because I installed it via a .deb file.
Attachments
ksnip_20210914-204118.png
Mint 19.0 + 20.0 MATE on 3 identical T420 Thinkpads, and a T450 Thinkpad.
rickNS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rickNS »

If your looking for, or are willing to install a .deb for Ksnip (1.8)you can get it at this link
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/u ... _amd64.deb

It is safe, it came from here, https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/21.04/ubuntu-un ... 4.deb.html

I actually prefer a slightly older version, but for a minor reason.

You can also get the "newest" version 1.9.1 from github, https://github.com/ksnip/ksnip/releases
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

rickNS wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:58 pm
Shutter is not in my software manager either (Mint 20.0).

Not to argue, but I suspect that you installed in another way, so now it does show in your software manager, just as Ksnip (not flathub versioin) shows in my software manager, because I installed it via a .deb file.
Hi Rick, if I did it must be a long time ago and I've forgotten! Having said that I just removed Shutter via the Software Manager and it was still showing as an option to install again if I wanted to.

I haven't got ksnip installed, but I get both the flatpak and the non-flatpak (387kB) options in the SM - I'm still wondering if users get presented with different options depending on what release of LM they're using. I've no idea if that assumption is correct though?
rickNS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rickNS »

Mick-Cork wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:21 pm

Hi Rick, if I did it must be a long time ago and I've forgotten! Having said that I just removed Shutter via the Software Manager and it was still showing as an option to install again if I wanted to.

I haven't got ksnip installed, but I get both the flatpak and the non-flatpak (387kB) options in the SM - I'm still wondering if users get presented with different options depending on what release of LM they're using. I've no idea if that assumption is correct though?
OK, still not wanting to argue, but I'm sure you'll agree that you somehow having access to a different repo than both the OP, and myself makes no logical sense. Trying to get to the bottom of it is all.

I tried both Mint 20.0, and 20.1, neither shutter, nor ksnip (regular package) were in the software manager.
I searched Ubuntu packages https://packages.ubuntu.com/
No results found.
I searched (manually scanned down the page) Linux Mint packages http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Ulyssa
and do not see shutter there either.

And lastly I asked google how to install shutter, https://www.google.com/search?q=Linux+m ... ll+shutter
All the top hits mention the PPA, none mention apt install.

Maybe my ksnip example above was a bad one, I also have systemback installed, and it is definitely not in the repos, but it is in my software manager now.
ksnip_20210914-2346.png
ksnip_20210914-2346.png (28.67 KiB) Viewed 380 times
JerryF
Level 14
Level 14

Post by JerryF »

Mint versions that are based on Ubuntu 'Focal' will not have Shutter (not sure about ksnip) available to install from Software/Synaptic Package Manager. You must add the PPA for Shutter.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
Menard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Menard »

Flemur wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:14 pm
Menard wrote:
"Scrot application" but with a big limit that is the numbers in files is limited to 997 so regularly I lose all my screenshots because I didn't check it was close to the end
scrot doesn't have any limit on the number of files it creates; if there's a problem, it's no doubt your naming convention for the output file(s).
When I ll be able to launch Libre Office Calc (see other thread) I ll give you the command I used for scrot in keyboard settings and I don't know how to have it by the terminal
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon (Kernel 5.11.0-34)
AMD APU A8 7600 (3100 MHz to 3800 MHz) with DDR3 1833 MHz 4 GB x2
(CPU limited to 4x 3.1 GHz by default, so LM gives no support of the AMD Turbo-core with these CPUs)
SimonPeter
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SimonPeter »

Menard wrote:
Hello

I mean with the possibility to perform fast repeated screenshots without to do anything else than to press a key ,
I have this with "Scrot application" but with a big limit that is the numbers in files is limited to 997 so regularly I lose all my screenshots because I didn't check it was close to the end :|
and then the screenshots stop to be performed without a message or a sign
This is what I do:
1) Install scrot with the command:
sudo apt install scrot
2) Create the folder ~/Desktop/Screenshots
3) Bind this command to Print key:
/bin/sh -c 'scrot --quality 90 ~/Desktop/Screenshots/"%F %r screenshot".jpg'

At the press of a key, this automatically saves a fullscreen screenshot with date and time to the folder ~/Desktop/Screenshots
( Something like ~/Desktop/Screenshots/2021-09-15 02:18:41 PM screenshot.jpg )

No more limit on number of screenshots , except that you should wait at least 0.002 seconds between successive screenshots.
(that 997 screenshots/folder limit is now changed to 997 screenshots/second :lol: )

EDIT: Added the --quality 90 parameter for better quality and small enough file size.
Last edited by SimonPeter on Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Menard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Menard »

I tried with this but it seems not to work, it gives an error message

/bin/sh -c 'scrot ~/Images/"Capt %F %r".jpg’
There is a problem with the ' ?

I had a complex command before, but I lost it and I am not able to get it back, I must do it again ... with all the parameters :roll: why cannot it be more simple ?

something as --quality 90 'mv $f ~/images/'
(CPU limited to 4x 3.1 GHz by default, so LM gives no support of the AMD Turbo-core with these CPUs)
Menard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Menard »

So nothing is working without this command lines of shit
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

SimonPeter wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:06 pm
/bin/sh -c 'scrot ~/Desktop/Screenshots/"%F %r screenshot".jpg'
No more limit on number of screenshots , except that you should wait at least 0.002 seconds between successive screenshots.
(that 997 screenshots/folder limit is now changed to 997 screenshots/second :lol: )
Your answer has a one-second granularity, so you need to wait one second or more, not .002 seconds.

This one goes to milliseconds: (the %N doesn't work as a scrot filename parameter, hence the t. You can decrease the filename granularity by changing %3N to %4N, etc.
$ cat bin/Scrot2

#!/bin/bash
# Make output files be named "scrot.seconds.milliseconds"
#
t=$(date +%s.%3N)
scrot /path/to/shots/scrot.$t.png
Produces output file named scrot.1631819135.370.png. I just call Scrot2 from the key-binding.

If you have zsh installed, you can do this (and it works from a bash shell):
cat bin/Scrot2.zsh

#!/usr/sbin/zsh
# Make output files be "scrot.seconds.nanoseconds"
#
zmodload zsh/datetime
scrot /path/to/shots/scrot.$EPOCHREALTIME.png
Of course you can always stick the t=$(date +%3N) millisecond part of the filename on the end of a regular date format (Y/MM/DD-HH.MM.SS), like scrot.'%Y.%m.%d_%H.%M.%S.png':

t=$(date +%3N)
scrot scrot.%Y.%m.%d_%H.%M.%S.$t.png
Output file: scrot.2021.09.16_13.19.11.267.png
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Menard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Menard »

I ve made this command folllowing the example given by the help

scrot --quality 100 'Capt_$n.jpg' -e 'mv $f ~/Images/'
and then, guess what ... it produces one file called Capt__013 and nothing after , but it seems to overwrite
it each time ... as by default it is not supposed to do so (still according the help) so :roll: :roll: :roll: I give up

I ll try to restore an old version of my home and then i ll be able to get back the previous command i used , that was working quite well with its limit at 997, but it ll take a long time, so now i have no screen capture :evil:
Menard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Menard »

SimonPeter wrote:

This is what I do:
1) sudo apt install scrot
2) Create the folder ~/Desktop/Screenshots
3) Bind this command to Print key:
/bin/sh -c 'scrot ~/Desktop/Screenshots/"%F %r screenshot".jpg'

At the press of a key, this automatically saves a fullscreen screenshot with date and time to the folder ~/Desktop/Screenshots
( Something like ~/Desktop/Screenshots/2021-09-15 02:18:41 PM screenshot.jpg )

I am sorry, this solution is good, it works, I realized that the first time I couldt manage the Keyboard shortcut settings well, because it is very complicated to use for a past windows user, I must have forgot something to click
I used it many time though, for Gnome screenshot, for Shutter, for Scrot but 1 year after it is forgotten

And also i realized that it was easy to rename all the files in the order after the capture, so the time is a good solution as name if we rename in a second operation
SimonPeter
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SimonPeter »

Flemur wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:19 pm
SimonPeter wrote:
/bin/sh -c 'scrot ~/Desktop/Screenshots/"%F %r --quality 90 screenshot".jpg'
Your answer has a one-second granularity, so you need to wait one second or more, not .002 seconds.
/bin/sh -c 'scrot --quality 90 ~/Desktop/Screenshots/"%F %r screenshot".jpg' can take many screenshots in a second.
Every screenshot taken in the same second (excluding the first one) has a 3 digit number assigned sequentially (so, the theoretical limit is >500 screenshots/second)

$ for n in {1..5} ; do /bin/sh -c 'scrot --quality 90 ~/Desktop/Screenshots/"%F %r screenshot".jpg' ;  done
$ ls ~/Desktop/Screenshots/2021-09-20*
'~/Desktop/Screenshots/2021-09-20 09:54:21 PM screenshot_000.jpg'  '~/Desktop/Screenshots/2021-09-20 09:54:21 PM screenshot_003.jpg'
'~/Desktop/Screenshots/2021-09-20 09:54:21 PM screenshot_001.jpg'  '~/Desktop/Screenshots/2021-09-20 09:54:21 PM screenshot.jpg'
'~/Desktop/Screenshots/2021-09-20 09:54:21 PM screenshot_002.jpg'
BTW if you really want to save the millisecond the screenshot was taken, use this:
/bin/sh -c 'scrot --quality 90 ~/Desktop/Screenshots/$(date +%F_%I-%M-%S.%3N_%p)_screenshot.jpg'
Menard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Menard »

Thanks to answer my subject, I was asking how to have a decent screen capture, so it means with the simple numbering 1 2 3 4 5 6 etc without a limit at 997
SimonPeter
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SimonPeter »

Menard wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:07 am
Thanks to answer my subject, I was asking how to have a decent screen capture, so it means with the simple numbering 1 2 3 4 5 6 etc without a limit at 997
Please mark the topic [Solved]
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444 (section [9] of that guide).
:)
Menard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Menard »

SimonPeter wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:01 am

No I think the subject is not solved

solved means I read some 2580.jpg 2581.jpg 2582.jpg etc
SimonPeter
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SimonPeter »

Menard wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:16 am
SimonPeter wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:01 am

No I think the subject is not solved
Menard wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:07 am
So you need a screen capture tool that :
- Appends numbers (and NOT the date/time) to the filename.
- Takes screenshots at the press of a button.
- Does NOT overwrite old screenshots.

Here is one:

#!/bin/bash
# SHOULD be run with bash , NOT with another shell
set -e

dest_dir="$HOME"/Desktop/Screenshots

cd "$dest_dir"

# file_name_out should contain neither punctuations nor spaces nor should it be empty.
file_name_out="Screenshot"

OUT_FORMAT="jpg"

# Get the last
FILE_NUM=$(ls *.${OUT_FORMAT} | grep "^${file_name_out}" | sed "s/${file_name_out}//g" | sed "s/${OUT_FORMAT}//g" | tr -d '.()' | grep -v '[[:alpha:]]' | grep -v '[[:punct:]]' | grep -v '[[:space:]]' | tr -dc '[[:digit:]]\n' | sed '/^$/d' | sort | tail -n 1 )

if [ -z "$FILE_NUM" ] ; then
    FILE_NUM=0
fi

while [ -e "$dest_dir"/"${file_name_out}.(${FILE_NUM})".$OUT_FORMAT ] ; do
    FILE_NUM=$((${FILE_NUM}+1))
done
scrot --quality=90 "$dest_dir"/"${file_name_out}.(${FILE_NUM})".$OUT_FORMAT

exit 0

'

Save this script, make executable and bind to a key (like PrtSc).
Last edited by SimonPeter on Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.