Thunderbird Yahoo Trash Folder (Resolved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Thunderbird Yahoo Trash Folder (Resolved)

Post by GELvdH »

I have noticed for the last couple of weeks that TB has shown the "Yahoo Mail Trash" folder with all of the "Personal Folders" listed under it, most without any files but some with only some of the files which I have in them. Also this morning suddenly the TB Yahoo Account "Inbox" only contained 3 emails instead of the dozens which should be there. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Thunderbird Yahoo Trash Folder

Post by Cosmo. »

How big was your inbox before the data loss?
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

I haven't set a specific size, I use the default size.
What if I want to restore just the Timeshift Thunderbird files from about a month ago from my yahoo email address. What would be the safest way?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There is no default size for the inbox. It grows, if new mails arrive, it can shrink, but only if mails get deleted or moved and the inbox gets compressed. If this does not get maintained the size of the inbox reaches at some time a size, where it crashes. This means data loss.
What I said above is for the old MBox-format of TB. This is the default format and most likely 90 % of the TB users use it.

Your mails are not a part of the system, but they are stored in your home. Because of this they do not get "backed-up" with Timeshift and following that you cannot restore them with TS. Backing up user data is always a separate task. Do you backup your home?

If you do not have a backup, there is a small chance to perhaps restore a part of missing mails, provided they are still on the server. There is in your TB-profile the file popstate.dat. Delete (or rename) it, it will be automatically recreated. Without the information in this file TB will download every mail, which is still on the server. Note, that you will find probably numerous mails doubled after that.

Return to “Software & Applications”