(S)Problems with Foxclone. What else is recommended?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

(S)Problems with Foxclone. What else is recommended?

Post by Alvin »

In the last two weeks of my LM19.1, recently, I tried to make a second ISO memory stick from Foxclone. I could not. The ones I made did not boot Foxclone. Instead, I successfully made a copy from another stick I had that was good, using USB Image Writer.

Since updating to LM21, I have not been able to make an ISO memory stick from Foxclone's website. I am storing my /home/alvin files on my second HDD, after having formatted it ext4. To backup my system files, I am using Timeshftt.

What software, free if possible, could I use to make a close of my current LM21 system? Comments on my Foxclone difficulty would be appreciated.
Last edited by Alvin on Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Problems with Foxclone. What else is recommended?

Post by gittiest personITW »

Try downloading it from here as Andy said there was a problem with his .com a few days ago.

https://www.foxclone.org/
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Rescuezilla is an alternative to Foxclone. Some versions work better than others.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, so, to ensure the safety of one's data, backup your data!

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a computer

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit - System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

gittiest...
I tried as you suggested, made the ISO stick. The md5sums matched. The clone was made successfully. Thanks!

It seems that if the foxclone dot com site does not reliably offer the download, that the site's master would fix it or direct elsewhere.

My clone does not take much space on a 500GB drive, maybe 50GB If I use gparted to reduce the clone's partition size and created a second partition, would I be able to use the rest of the HDD for other storage purposes?
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

Re: (S)Problems with Foxclone. What else is recommended?

The developer is doing this out of the goodness of his big heart and it is probably costing him a substantial amount of money and definitely time to supply us with great free software. I don't think we are in any place to complain.

By your 'clone' - do you mean the clone of the drive you've just made or the drive you've just cloned?

Anyway, not knowing exactly the layout of your drive, for instance, whether you used the default installation (where you've got the efi partition (assuming it is GPT) and the / partition taking up the whole drive) or whether there is a non-default installation it is hard to say for sure.
In general, if you would like to shrink your system partition, you'd have to do it from a boot disk, for instance Foxclone, which has GParted on it.
It really is impossible to give useful advise without more info.
AndyMH
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AndyMH »

Alvin wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:36 pm
It seems that if the foxclone dot com site does not reliably offer the download, that the site's master would fix it or direct elsewhere.
I fear that the author of the site may be seriously ill or worse. Larry78723 did the site for me and I've not been able to contact him by email for well over three months. I'm more concerned about Larry than I am about the website.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 4 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 20.1, 2 x i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
JerryF
Level 15
Level 15

Post by JerryF »

AndyMH wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:23 pm
I fear that the author of the site may be seriously ill or worse. Larry78723 did the site for me and I've not been able to contact him by email for well over three months. I'm more concerned about Larry than I am about the website.
:(
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

AndyMH wrote:

If you can reveal the approximate location of Larry perhaps a nearby member of this forum would volunteer to investigate.
Cliff Coggin
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

AndyMH wrote:
That doesn't sound good for Larry, hope he's okay or if not on the road to recovery.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

To gittiest... and AndyMH: I agree that the Foxclone software is a fine gift to users and do, of course, appreciate it without being reminded. For that reason, especially, I found the ongoing problem with the site hard to understand

I think of software products being conceived by large teams of computer engineers rather than by one individual motivated by good will. I hope the author recovers, if he is ill.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

To gittiest...

Here is all the information about the installation method, for the purpose of determining whether the one large partition of my HDD clone, the clone made by Foxclone, may be shrunk without concert to a more reasonable size: I used the installation guide offered by LMF throughout, from making the ISO stick to putting it to use. Does that help you to judge if gparted would be safe to use to create an HDD clone that would not require 20 times the space it needs - the case at this time?
AZgl1800
Level 18
Level 18
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

AndyMH wrote:
Alvin wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:36 pm
I have been following along with this, and concur.....
wish Larry78723 the best of health....

stay with Andy's .org site to download his files...
Foxclone "is the best" in my opinion.
LM21.x upgraded from 20.3 Cinnamon on an ASUS FX705GM laptop
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Andy. Hope Larry is ok. If you can't contact him it is out of your hands. We wish him the best though and hope he returns.

Alvin - Foxclone will determine the unused portion of the drive and won't make a 500GB image if you are only using 50GB. Likely to be about 40GB depending on what you've got on there.
AndyMH
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AndyMH »

Back when I first floated the idea of foxclone (three years ago?), Larry was one of the individuals on the forum who volunteered to help. He did the website, paid for the hosting and domain name. He also helped me out getting the iso to boot UEFI in the early days. He lives in North Carolina, his surname is on the about page in foxclone. He is in his late '70s. I did have an email address for him, but he is not responding to it.

A clone makes an identical copy of the source drive. That is why you should never boot your system with the source and clone present. It will confuse BIOS, which one to boot? A backup creates image files (one for each partition) of your source drive. Foxclone does not care how the destination is formatted, e.g. ntfs or ext4. Image files are compressed and foxclone only copies used blocks in the source partition. Compression can achieve up to a 50% reduction in the image file size compared to used blocks on the source.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 4 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 20.1, 2 x i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
axrusar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by axrusar »

AndyMH wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:50 am
Back when I first floated the idea of foxclone (three years ago?), Larry was one of the individuals on the forum who volunteered to help. He did the website, paid for the hosting and domain name. He also helped me out getting the iso to boot UEFI in the early days. He lives in North Carolina, his surname is on the about page in foxclone. He is in his late '70s. I did have an email address for him, but he is not responding to it.
First, with all due respect for Larry and hoping he will be able to come back from any health issues.

I offer to volunteer with my VPS hosting space for the website if needed and an upgrade to the design. I understand you may not have access to the domain tho. There may be another option.
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics

Return to “Software & Applications”