Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kurt3162
Level 4
Level 4

Calender/contacts sync with phone?

Post by Kurt3162 »

Is it possible to sync an Evolution calendar and contacts with your (Android) smartphone (without jumping through too many hoops)?
I'm sure there must be some way...
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Calender/contacts sync with phone?

Post by dave0808 »

Basically you want to setup Evolution to use CalDAV to sync with a calendar and CardDAV to sync your contacts. E.g. https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/ ... av.html.en

The "simple" way would be to get Evolution to sync with your google account, then the contacts and calendar will sync with your phone automatically. I've never done this, but I found this blog post which may be useful.

If you don't want to use google, then you are going to have to jump through hoops, but it is possible. You'll need a server / service that you can sync to. Many non-Google email providers support this, or you can completely roll your own solution with something like Nextcloud, either with a hosting provider or hosted locally on your LAN. You then point Evolution at this server. For Android, the components are decoupled, so you need a Sync Adapter like DAVx5 to exchange the data, and another app to view the Calendar, as well as the Contacts - the stock apps will work, or check out Simple Mobile Tools who produce privacy-respecting apps (and are sponsors of the Linux Mint project also).
Kurt3162
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kurt3162 »

dave0808 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:45 am
If you don't want to use google, then you are going to have to jump through hoops
I was afraid you would say that... :(
Back in Windows times I had a neat little program called "MyPhoneExplorer" which allowed to sync a (local) Thunderbird or Outlook database with an Android phone, without any fuss. No external servers, services and other complications, just a simple program to install on the PC and another on the phone. I was hoping something similar was available for Evolution.
Thanks nevertheless!
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

If you were cynical, you might think that Google make it deliberately difficult, so people don't bother and simply give them all their data to handle.

If you wanted to go a manual route, you could export/import ICS files for the calendar and VCF files for the contacts. I could imagine it getting quite tedious though.
Kurt3162
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kurt3162 »

dave0808 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:50 am
If you were cynical
I am...

dave0808 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:50 am
I could imagine it getting quite tedious though.
Indeed. I will sync my phone (which contains all the data right now) with an old Outlook on an old Windows computer (using aforementioned "MyPhoneExplorer" program), then export the Outlook calendar and contacts file and import it in Evolution. From there on it will be manual updates, ie. copying everything by hand... :?
AndyMH
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AndyMH »

I dumped google some time back. My domain hosting provider supports my email, contacts (carddav) and calendar (caldav). In mint I use evolution for these, on my android phone I installed (and bought) davx5 so that I could sync email, contacts, calendar. I had to install another calendar app on the phone because I could not get the default one to work with anything other than google. I can't say it was straightforward to setup on the phone but I was determined I was not going to use google.
https://www.davx5.com/
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 4 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 20.1, 2 x i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
Kurt3162
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kurt3162 »

AndyMH wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:39 pm
https://www.davx5.com/
Oh my, that sounds like the stand-alone sync solution I was hoping for! Or did I misunderstand? No server required?

A pity their website is just a breathless marketing blurb without a single ounce of useful information (like, for instance, how it is supposed to work...). I guess it might be obvious for WebDAV experts, but I'm not one. I barely know what it is... :roll:

Oh well, I guess there must be a documentation hidden somewhere, I'll find it. In the meantime thanks a lot!

Return to “Software & Applications”