<SOLVED> The login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Aroma
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> The login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer

Post by Aroma »

Hi there,

Coming from Ubutnu I'm new to Linux Mint. So far everything works fine, except of one thing:

On an average working day, 10 hours with Mint, a hundred times I get the message "The login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer". The message blocks everything else, captures the cursor etc., sometimes I have to press ESC 20 times to get rid of it.

What is this for? What password does it want? Do I need a "keyring" at all? I uninstalled Seahorse, since I believe I don't need it, and I have all my passwords in KeePass.
Even without unlocking that "keyring", for example the WLAN passwords of the shipped Network Manager are stored somewhere. Where?

Could anyone give me an advise?

Thank you!
Last edited by Aroma on Thu May 06, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: The login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer

Post by rene »

Aroma wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:41 am
What is this for? What password does it want? Do I need a "keyring" at all? I uninstalled Seahorse, since I believe I don't need it, and I have all my passwords in KeePass. Even without unlocking that "keyring", for example the WLAN passwords of the shipped Network Manager are stored somewhere. Where?
In the (or "a") keyring. A keyring is a "safe" in which program's such as in your example NetworkManager can store e.g. passwords. On Ubuntu/Mint the "Login" keyring is on install configured with the same password as your user login password and unlocked automatically on login --- if you login manually. If you login automatically (or have changed your user login password post-install) this does not happen any more.

In the case of a changed user login password the best remedy is also changing the Login-keyring password to again match. In the case of autologin the usually best remedy is to delete the Login-keyring password altogether. To do such, reinstall seahorse aka. "Passwords and Keys" and right-click the Login keyring, "Change Password". To delete it entirely, leave both password and confirm fields blank and note the warning it gives you.

Plus note then that "seahorse" is just a graphical tool for using/configuring things, not the keyring infrastructure itself; you'll not want to uninstall it even if you don't use the keyring-infrastructure for much of anything since, as you note, for example NetworkManager does use it.
Aroma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aroma »

Wow, thank you, that helps and clarifies a lot! (Yes, I have auto user login.)

But how could the Network Manager store and use passwords, even if I never (or at least not for days) unlocked the keyring?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I do not on this local machine have WiFi connections setup so as to quickly verify but I expect that NetworkManager retreats to files in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ directly to store such if it can't do so in the Login keyring. You'd supposedly be able to confirm/deny by looking there, i.e.,

Code: Select all

sudo cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/*
Aroma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aroma »

Thanks again. Yes, there are text files for each connection with clear text passwords and settings. I will now go on use the keyring instead.
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Re: <SOLVED> The login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Slowpoke47's question can now be found here The login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer because this is someone else's solved topic. Please create new topics and reference the information in the old topic rather than directly posting in the old topic.

Locking this 18 month old topic.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Software & Applications”