Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Mildly_odd
Level 2
Level 2

Does install really need specific java JRE version [SOLVED]

Post by Mildly_odd »

I've been trying to install some software on my laptop which has Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon. I see the following error message:
There has been an error.

A Java version 1.8 is required for successful installation. No valid version has been found by the installer.

Version found: 11.0.15" 2022

Please make sure that Java 1.8 is available before re-starting the installation of MASTER.

The application will exit now.
The FAQ for application is here

Code: Select all

https://sdup.esoc.esa.int/master/faq
which is where it repeats its dependency as Java Run-time Environment 8 (1.8).

Running java -version on the laptop results in:
openjdk version "11.0.15" 2022-04-19
Question: is there anything I might be able to do to coax the application to use the java version I have?
Last edited by Mildly_odd on Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Muffin Man
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Does install really need specific java JRE version

Post by The Muffin Man »

It's hard to say why they explicitly require 1.8. It could be something as basic is that's what they tested with or it could be something as important as requiring CORBA or a particular LAF, since Java is pulling CORBA out and removing non-platform LAFs (like Windows and Mac in the Linux java installation).
I'd opt for installing the one it says it needs and then seeing if you can run with a newer version of the jre.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
Mildly_odd
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mildly_odd »

Thank you. OK....
That naturally brings me to a new question: Is installing a second version of Java an easy thing to do without breaking other things that depend upon the original openJDK version?
The Muffin Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Muffin Man »

You can have multiple JDKs /JREs on the same pc. If the app needs to find one, it will just find it, or it is specified when you install it [and it gets written to a configuration]. JAVA_HOME is rarely used anymore. It's generally passed in as a parameter in a shell script (usually written by the app at install time) when the application is started up.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
Mildly_odd
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mildly_odd »

Ah ha, ok I'll give it a whirl. Thanks again.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Does install really need specific java JRE version [SOLVED]

Post by dave0808 »

Multiple versions can exist on one system. Which one is default is controlled through the update-alternatives command. However, you can, of course, alter which one you want to use through, for example, temporary changes to the shell environment or wrapping in a script.

I would install Java 8 from the standard packages first, e.g. apt install openjdk-8-jre. Unfortunately the link you provided for the FAQ is prompting for a login.

Return to “Software & Applications”