Photoshop CS4/5 for Mint 12?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
islandjim

Photoshop CS4/5 for Mint 12?

Post by islandjim »

Hi Guys
I'm brand ne w to linux, and really struggling to install PS CS4 or 5. I have been googling all over the place, and also tried the playonlinux option for CS4, but nothing seems to work. playonlinux says it is successfully installed but when I try to open PS, nothing happens.

Does anyone have a working solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Photoshop CS4/5 for Mint 12?

Post by Oscar799 »

It seems CS5 works with Wine
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=20158
But the Wine version listed is 1.5.4 and the one in package manager is 1.4.0
Worth a try
islandjim

Post by islandjim »

Thanks for the quick reponse Oscar :) I will give it a try
BrunoMiranda
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrunoMiranda »

Hello islandjim,

Please try the link above and then tell us something.

Some time ago i have tried another procedure, it wasn't simple but worked ok enough. I have tried it on Mint 11, but it should also work fine on the newest versions, i hope.
It consisted in installing wine and winetricks, and then, instead of installing a fresh copy of Photoshop, you would manually copy and paste an existing windows installation of photoshop, plus some fonts and some common files and folders from windows.
The good thing of this is that you can easily make a backup of all your Photoshop environment.

Like i have said, it was working ok enough, with a slow window border drawing but with an awesome memory management (welcome to Linux!) - while in Windows, the hard disk was always thrashing and swapping around, in Linux it was always working on memory, so it was much faster on that. One thing that didn't work was selecting images on Bridge and opening them on Photoshop's Image Processor, the link between both programs was broken. But between Bridge and Camera raw, things were working fine.

If the solution provided by Oscar doesn't work, let us know and i'll dig around one of my hard disks and try to find the procedure, i THINK i have saved it somewhere... :roll:

Best wishes,
Bruno
islandjim

Post by islandjim »

I havent had a chance to try it out yet as I am swamped with work, but I will let you know if it is successful as soon as I have the time to give it a bash.

Cheers
KrystalRe

Post by KrystalRe »

I think I'm going to try it over the weekend.
islandjim

Post by islandjim »

KrystalRe wrote:I think I'm going to try it over the weekend.
Please let us know if you are successful. I will shit the bed if I can get PS CS4/5 to work on Mint. My new laptop is Linux only, and I would love to throw windows the rainbows off my desktop workhorse, but Photoshop is my bread and butter, so I am still hanging onto Mr Gaites' backstreet sprog he calls Windows 7. HATE it , but right now I rainbows need it =(
islandjim

Post by islandjim »

islandjim wrote:
KrystalRe wrote:I think I'm going to try it over the weekend.
Please let us know if you are successful. I will unicorns the bed if I can get PS CS4/5 to work on Mint. My new laptop is Linux only, and I would love to throw windows the rainbows off my desktop workhorse, but Photoshop is my bread and butter, so I am still hanging onto Mr Gaites' backstreet sprog he calls Windows 7. HATE it , but right now I rainbows need it =(
I will refrain from using my local vernacular for 'feces', because it apparently gets translated into legendary flying horses.

Oops. Not a big forum user. My apologies. Live and learn.

Return to “Software & Applications”