[SOLVED] Linux Mint 13 MATE and “Login Window”

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
0k1w

[SOLVED] Linux Mint 13 MATE and “Login Window”

Post by 0k1w »

I tried hard to configure “Login Window” in a manner similar to its configuration in previous Mint versions:

1) I set: Local | Background | Image to off;
2) Local | Logo | Image to off;
3) Local | Welcome Message | Custom to %n;
4) Accessibility | Sounds to off;
5) Users | Include all users from /etc/passwd to off;
6) I added all users to: Users | Include;
7) I set: Users | Default face to user-generic.png.

In order to display user’s faces in “Login Window” I got images that I keep in /usr/share/pixmaps/faces directory, I resized them to 58×58 pixels, and I copied each per user image to his or hers home directory changing the name of the file to .face in each case (thanks to xenopeek from “Desktops & Window Managers | MATE” forum here for that tip).

Unfortunately “Login Window” still don’t work as I would like. At the beginning in order to go to the first user one has to press arrow up key twice. Then in order to go one position down the list one has to press first arrow up key and then arrow down key (it’s really strange). Finally in order to one position go up the list one has to press arrow up key twice. I can’t also find a way to get rid of the scroll bar on the right edge of the list.

I can live with that strange navigation method and with the scroll bar but my users will hate that. So I ask if it’s possible in Maya MATE to modify “Login Window” in order to get look and feel similar to the well known and nice working “Login Window” from the previous Mint releases?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint 13 MATE and “Login Window”

Post by xenopeek »

If you prefer another display manager, just install it already :D lightDM was used in Linux Mint 12, before that gdm. See here how to install and activate another display manager: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 26#p584624
0k1w

Re: Linux Mint 13 MATE and “Login Window”

Post by 0k1w »

Thank you, Vincent, for the tip. It turned out to be simple. I’m not a regular Linux Mint user – I merely administer a few Linux Mint workstations used by my family members and by my friends setting these machines up to be easy in the everyday usage for non-techie users. I’ll try your tip tonight because now I work using another Linux distribution. I’m sure everything will be all right so I mark that thread as solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”