Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Warcraft 3 in Wine/Mint 13/Cinnamon, flashing screen

Post by Rua »

I'm trying to run Warcraft 3 (fully patched) in wine. The installation went fine although the auto play launcher did have a slight issue with sound being a bit crackly. When I run the game it switches to full screen and the screen starts flashing rapidly between the actual main menu screen and some kind of garbled version of it with things messed up and in the wrong place, and lines appear on the screen. The sound also crackles although I can still hear the real sound 'underneath' it. With some patience I can move the mouse and click on things but it seems the mouse responds very slowly as well.

Is anyone else having this problem? I'm using Mint 13 with Cinnamon, Wine 1.4, using the older ATI proprietary drivers (not with post release updates because they don't want to install).
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Warcraft 3 in Wine/Mint 13/Cinnamon, flashing screen

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Rua.

Cannot tell anything about WoW3 on Wine/Mint 13 with Cinnamon. Yet, I can confirm that I have experienced trouble using Wine 1.4 / 1.5 ( tried them both) on Mint 13 Cinnamon edition, which I have never seen when using Wine on Mint 12 with MSGE. The only programme which I use with Wine is Total Commander.
The problems which I experienced are:
+ During the whole startup of T.C. and hence wineserver, there is an annoying constant screen flickering.
+ While the T.C. is not minimized genuine Linux application windows will always be covered by T.C., no matter how often you click to activate them.
All this has never happened on Linux Mint 12 with MSGE.

Conclusion:
Currently there seems to be an incompatibility between Cinnamon and Wine 1.4 and Wine 1.5 which negatively affect screen and window handling.

Note:
The T.C. example was only given to explain why I think there might be a general incompatibilty between Wine and Cinnamon, not in order to hijack your thread and start a discussion about my Wine problems.

Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rua »

I wonder if these problems will happen with MATE. Is there a way to try that?
manuleka
Level 3
Level 3

Post by manuleka »

have installed Warcraft III on Virtualbox 4.1.20 with experimental 3D accelerated enabled

Game runs and playable but mouse response is laggy... maybe it's my hardware (not too sure)...
another issue - i can't change color depth from 32-bit, i wanted to test 16bit and see if it helps

Code: Select all

Platforms:

HOST:
Mint 13 KDE
Virtualbox 4.1.20
G620 2.6Ghz
GTX 460 1GB
4GB RAM

GUEST:
MS Windows XP Pro SP3
1.5GB Ram
DirectX 9.0c
VirtualBox Video Adaptor 128MB
may be with other games (pre-warcraft III) it could probably run smoother but don't have any older games to test
~ $ sudo convert "windows xp pro" >> "mint 14"
manuleka
Level 3
Level 3

Warcraft III on Mint 13 MATE - any success?

Post by manuleka »

Platform:
Mint 13 MATE
Wine 1.4

I'm just wondering if anyone here have been successful on installing Warcraft III (Reign of Chaos or Frozen Throne) on Wine 1.4?
I've tried the instructions on Wine HQ but without luck...

cheers
~ $ sudo convert "windows xp pro" >> "mint 14"

Return to “Software & Applications”