[Reopened] Chromium/Firefox/Opera won't load certain pages.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
THIS_IS_INSANE

[Reopened] Chromium/Firefox/Opera won't load certain pages.

Post by THIS_IS_INSANE »

I installed Linux mint 13 cinnamon 32-bit yesterday (i checked the md5, perfect match. and did a clean install) then i fully updated linux fully, and I noticed right off the bat that I was having connection issues, I couldn't load any pages, except google pages. frustrated, I installed chromium which had the same exact issue, I couldn't load anything except google. once i got tired of trying that I installed Opera. Same problem persisted. I assumed the issue was with my ISP's DNS servers, so I set my computer to use Google Public DNS (ipv4 and ipv6) and openDNS (ipv4 only). Now I can load most pages, except facebook and any microsoft pages (there's probably more that I can't load, but haven't discovered yet) I also occasionally have issues loading any pages, getting errors that generally say that my browsers received no responses from the servers. But, this is the strange thing, Opera can load Microsoft pages and rarely, Facebook. I don't think the issue is hardware related, my wireless card is an qualcomm atheros AR2413/AR2414 and I have the proper driver (ath5k). Not only that, but I can install software from the software manager w/out issue as well as download updates and my torrent software also downloads well. I was originally running Windows 8 rp on this computer and had no page load issues and there are other computers in the house that are running windows 7 and none have page load issues. this problem also persists if i manually enter the ip address into the address bar or if I ping the domain or ip from the terminal. so I don't have any clues. if it were purely dns, then I'd have no problems when manually entering the ip address of the target website in the address bar. if it were purely software, I wouldn't have any issues pinging from the terminal. and if it were purely hardware, I wouldn't be able to download large files. and if it were my ISP, my other computers would have the same issues. so I'm lost...

Update: 7/10/2012:

Turns out it's a driver issue, I have a usb wifi adapter, and when I plugged that in, I no longer had any issues browsing the web. I'm also confident that it was a TCP issue because I opened system information (when only using the built-in card) and went to networking > statistics, and discovered that there were hundreds of TCP errors of various kinds listed after less than an hour of browsing. So now I can't figure out how to reinstall my networking drivers. any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Chromium/Firefox/Opera won't load certain pages.

Post by dagon »

I'd try a cold boot of the router.
THIS_IS_INSANE

Re: Chromium/Firefox/Opera won't load certain pages.

Post by THIS_IS_INSANE »

thanks. that seemed to solve the issue.

Return to “Software & Applications”