3.2.0-31-Generic, Kernel Panic!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Edogaa

3.2.0-31-Generic, Kernel Panic!

Post by Edogaa »

So, everytime I boot with the 3.2.0-31 Generic kernel it stops bootiong and I get a panic. :/

I have no idea why, so you know, I've done a lot of stuff on this computer, like installing debs of newer kernels from here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ while looking for various ways to fix my wireless in my previous help topic. Though, I've removed said kernel now and it doesn't appear under grub, when previously the updater wouldn't update all the way (the linux and linux headers wouldn't update for some reason? IT SAID it was held back) I googled around for the cause and ran, "sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and it did install. Sadly, the newer kernel seems to panic now? Anything I can do to fix it? Help? For those who want to see the current kernel I am running...

Code: Select all

Linux shadow-moses 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux 
This is the only kernel that boots properly that I have avaialble. 31-Generic always panics! I also can't seem to use the xorg-update drivers were I can get the latest nvidia drivers. So I purged that ppa and went back to the one i nthe repositories.

for those curious about the wifi thing, no it didn't fix it and yes, I only realized a day after about the compat-wireless stuff in the repositories (assuming I am correct on those being newer version of wireless drivers backported to older kernels?).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: 3.2.0-31-Generic, Kernel Panic!

Post by nunol »

Did you try to install the previous kernels (3.2.0-30, 29, etc) to see if works?
Edogaa

Post by Edogaa »

Kernels 3.2.0-30 and 29 work, 31 kernel panics

:/ Is this fixable or do I gotta wait for the next kertnel update l ol
javajeff

Post by javajeff »

My Mint install has me at version 3.2.0-23-generic. Is there a reason to move ahead? What version does the Ubuntu update center have?
Edogaa

Post by Edogaa »

From what I hear, new minor releases tend to be stability or security updates in the kernel. :/ Don't quote me on that though.

As in I am not 100% sure lol
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Edogaa wrote:From what I hear, new minor releases tend to be stability or security updates in the kernel. :/ Don't quote me on that though.

As in I am not 100% sure lol
You are right.
javajeff wrote:My Mint install has me at version 3.2.0-23-generic. Is there a reason to move ahead? What version does the Ubuntu update center have?
By default, the Mint Update doesn't update the kernel because I could break the system and less experienced users could get stuck. However, I believe you should update your kernel regularly because there are many security holes exploitable with only a few clicks of the mouse (Backtrack, etc). Mint, by default is vulnerable to some because of the update policy. You can check security updates here: http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/
javajeff

Post by javajeff »

OK, so what is the best way to update the kernel with a fresh Mint install. Ubuntu is ahead of Mint.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

3.2.0.32 is the latest kernel for precise.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

javajeff wrote:OK, so what is the best way to update the kernel with a fresh Mint install. Ubuntu is ahead of Mint.
check this out
How To Install Linux Kernel 3.5.4 On Ubuntu 12.10/12.04/11.10/Linux Mint 13
http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/09/how-to- ... 54-on.html
works like a charm

I upgraded to 3.4.4
How To Install Linux Kernel 3.4.4 In Ubuntu 12.04/Linux Mint 13
http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/06/how-to- ... 44-in.html
- being conservative because still being a Linux noob - without any problems, except I had to reset my (old) nvida driver and restart XFCE windows manager and save the session.

My freezing problems have disappeared ever since - knock on wood. I think there's an issue with kernel 3.2. So many people reporting freezes and problems on all kinds of DEs and all kinds of hardware even (intel and AMD). The only thing they all have in common is kernel 3.2 as far as I can tell. My freezing problems started after the kernel upgrade to 3.2. Ran fine for months before that.
I even updated a Xubuntu wubi install and as soon as kernel 3.2 was installed, a couple of minutes later it froze too. Again, it had been running fine for months.
I'm not an expert but all signs and my own experiences point to some issue with 3.2 - at least for some people.
javajeff

Post by javajeff »

Thank you so much!

Return to “Software & Applications”