Device Driver Manager - Help needed

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Device Driver Manager - Help needed

Post by arjay »

Schoelje wrote:I've been testing DDM on the regular Linux Mint.
Some changes were made for Nvidia and Broadcom.

So...I'm in dire need of testers, especially with ATI and Broadcom.

If you have a regular LM running somewhere, please download and install:
http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/packages ... .2_all.deb

Open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

device-driver-manager -d
And post back the log file:

$HOME/ddm.log
You'll know that I only have nvidia cards but thought it was worth running your ddm with a normal flavour of LM for you. So I D/L Mint 13 Maya 32-bit (MATE) and installed as per usual on newly formatted partitions - then fully updated using their Update Manager. I found a lot of problems with MATE which are nothing to do with you but I will list them at the end in case they affect what you are trying to do.

OK - DDM
Once the LM install was up and running with all updates, I D/L your deb. I ran "device-driver-manager -d" in a terminal and all went just fine. It showed the correct video card (Nvidia GeForce 210) and I chose install. After the reboot, the nvidia drivers were installed and I had the correct screen size and resolution etc. I also noted that the DDM was in the LM menu - cool. Log attached - note that *.txt and *.log extensions are not allowed as uploaded attachments in this forum. I converted it to a *.doc file - hope that works.

LM 13 Problems
1. From first boot, it keeps throwing error messages of the form: "You do not have permission to view the contents of tmp.XXXXXXXXXX." Googling shows that this is common but not fatal - I just ignored them - if you close them they reopen with new suffixes - irritating.

2. More annoying, as far as I could see, the installation would not allow me to choose which of my two hard disks I wanted the boot loader to install to. It insisted on /dev/sdb which holds my Win XP install which I do NOT want messed about! I could not find a way to tell it to use /dev/sda (my Linux HDD), so I had to shut down, disconnect the 2nd HDD, start all over again, then reconnect the disk and modify and update Grub after the installation - a right PITA.

3. JFYI - after the first reboot I got the message "Restricted drivers are available..." which presumably you will deal with when integrating DDM?

4. FireFox 16 (their latest version after updates) kept crashing - literally every 2-3 minutes. Just froze and could not even be closed.

5. Most serious of all is an apparent problem with their Welcome screen with the support options. It comes up just fine and there are no problems if you just close it or uncheck the "Show on startup" option. However, if you choose something from the support options something very bad happens (at least to me and it can be replicated over and over).

For example, if I click on the "Known Problems" option, it opens a copy of FireFox with the release notes page of the LM website behind the Welcome window . This means you cannot read anything in Firefox. It is not possible to drag the Welcome window to one side or to close it! More worrying, is it is then not possible to close Firefox either. If I use the main menu to chose Shutdown or Restart, their window also opens over the Welcome box and I can't click on any options. I had to reboot the PC by CTRL_ALT_DEL and chose an option from the login window.

Not sure what this is all about. had a quick google and look at the forum but haven't had time to really investigate.

I have also got LM 13 Mayo 32-bit KDE if you want me to try out DDM with that, but I guess it should all work OK?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje,
as part of my testings this weekend i started with something totally unrelated:
use ddm in debian sid proper with 3.5.0-7.dmz.1-liquorix kernel.
the interesting thing is that it almost works (yeahh it failed) if ddm was using more standard apt commands and not the mint-specific implementations
the crux of the question is here
20-10-2012 12:24:12 execcmd.run INFO Fetched 9,340 B in 0s (53.8 kB/s)
20-10-2012 12:24:12 execcmd.run DEBUG Command to execute: apt-cache depends firmware-b43-lpphy-installer | grep Depends
20-10-2012 12:24:12 execcmd.run DEBUG Command to execute: apt search b43-fwcutter | grep ^i
20-10-2012 12:24:13 execcmd.run DEBUG Command to execute: apt search bzip2 | grep ^i
20-10-2012 12:24:13 execcmd.run DEBUG Command to execute: apt search wget | grep ^i
20-10-2012 12:24:13 broadcom.installBroadcom DEBUG modprobe b44, b43, b43legacy, ssb, brcmsmac
20-10-2012 12:24:14 broadcom.installBroadcom INFO Install downloaded packages
20-10-2012 12:24:14 execcmd.run DEBUG Command to execute: dpkg -i *.deb
20-10-2012 12:24:15 execcmd.run INFO (Reading database ... 160293 files and directories currently installed.)
it's not a big problem (if and when used in the mint editions - any edition - this won't even come up as an issue)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@arjay
You've been busy!
Good news that DDM works with your Nvidia card.
The other issues suggest that you're better off with LMDE KDE? ;)

I can only say something sensible about issue #3: The "Restricted drivers..." message comes from jockey which Clem wishes to replace with DDM when ready.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@zerozero
Would the following code do the trick?

dpkg -l b43-fwcutter | grep ^i
Or should it end with double i at the end?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

it would work either way

zerozero@debian:~$ dpkg -l iceweasel | grep ^ii
ii  iceweasel                                  10.0.9esr-1                          amd64        Web browser based on Firefox
zerozero@debian:~$ dpkg -l iceweasel | grep ^i
ii  iceweasel                                  10.0.9esr-1                          amd64        Web browser based on Firefox
zerozero@debian:~$ 

zerozero@debian:~$ dpkg -l thunar | grep ^i
ii  thunar                                     1.2.3-4+b1                           amd64        File Manager for Xfce
zerozero@debian:~$ dpkg -l thunar | grep ^ii
ii  thunar                                     1.2.3-4+b1                           amd64        File Manager for Xfce

zerozero@debian:~$ dpkg -l b43-fwcutter | grep ^ii
zerozero@debian:~$ dpkg -l b43-fwcutter | grep ^i
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@zerozero
On second thought: dpkg -l shortens long package names when using wildcards and the list is incomplete:

dpkg -l plymouth-themes*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name              Version           Description
+++-=================-=================-==================================================
un  plymouth-themes-a <none>            (no description available)
ii  plymouth-themes-l 1.0.0             Graphical Boot Animation and Logger (LMDE KDE them
So I won't be able to retrieve the full names...
dpkg -s needs a full package name and doesn't allow wildcards, so that too is not an option.

While apt search returns a full list:

apt search plymouth-themes
pB  plymouth-themes-all             - Graphical Boot Animation and Logger (theme
pi  plymouth-themes-fade-in         - Graphical Boot Animation and Logger (fade-
pi  plymouth-themes-glow            - Graphical Boot Animation and Logger (glow 
i   plymouth-themes-lmdekde         - Graphical Boot Animation and Logger (LMDE 
pi  plymouth-themes-mint            - Linux Mint Plymouth theme                 
pi  plymouth-themes-script          - Graphical Boot Animation and Logger (scrip
pi  plymouth-themes-solar           - Graphical Boot Animation and Logger (solar
pi  plymouth-themes-spinfinity      - Graphical Boot Animation and Logger (spinf
p   plymouth-themes-spinner         - Graphical Boot Animation and Logger (spinn
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i see :shock:
the other option is using aptitude, basically what apt search does

zerozero@deb-kde ~ $ apt help search
"apt search" is equivalent to "aptitude search"

zerozero@deb-kde ~ $ aptitude search dolp* | grep ^i
i   dolphin                         - file manager                              
i A kdesdk-dolphin-plugins          - dolphin VCS plugins   

zerozero@deb-kde ~ $ aptitude search b43-* | grep ^p
p   b43-fwcutter                    - Utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmw
p   firmware-b43-installer          - Installer package for firmware for the b43
p   firmware-b43-lpphy-installer    - Installer package for firmware for the b43
p   firmware-b43legacy-installer    - Installer package for firmware for the b43

zerozero@deb-kde ~ $ aptitude search dolp* | grep ^p
p   dolfin-bin                      - Executable scripts for DOLFIN             
p   dolfin-dev                      - Empty package depending on latest DOLFIN d
p   dolfin-doc                      - Documentation and demo programs for DOLFIN
p   libadolc-dev                    - ADOLC development libs and headers        
p   libadolc2                       - ADOLC automatic differentiation system, ru
p   libdolfin1.0                    - Shared libraries for DOLFIN               
p   libdolfin1.0-dbg                - Shared libraries with debugging symbols fo
p   libdolfin1.0-dev                - Shared links and header files for DOLFIN  
p   python-dolfin                   - Python interface for DOLFIN           
now last minute question: is aptitude installed in ubuntu?
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Schoelje wrote:@arjay
The other issues suggest that you're better off with LMDE KDE? ;)
Too right - can't tell you how pleased I am to be back :mrgreen:
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Schoelje

Just to complete things, I tested DDM with Linux Mint 13 32-bit KDE edition. The O/S wasn't much better behaved than the MATE version - firefox 16.01 freezing all the time; Update Manager updated mintupdate then wouldn't do the rest of the updates, so i had to close the task bar version and open it again from the main menu; etc etc.

But the good news is that DDM installed and ran perfectly. Installed the right drivers for the correct nvidia card so that's good.

Oh, by the way I really LIKE their installer - slick graphics for the drives; no need to open a separate window for partitioning; clever graphical display of keyboards; and installing while the user finishes entering info. Classy or what....

ddm.log attached as *.doc file
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

arjay wrote:Oh, by the way I really LIKE their installer - slick graphics for the drives; no need to open a separate window for partitioning; clever graphical display of keyboards; and installing while the user finishes entering info. Classy or what....
That's Ubiquity. Very glossy indeed, but unfortunately for Ubuntu only. Live Installer isn't that old yet and it'll take a while until it's as nice looking as Ubiquity.
Little steps are being made, though...
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

quantal liveISO
it seems to identify the driver as installed but surely is not
notes so far (this was a quick test with the live system, the grand plan :lol: is to do a proper installation and then hack into it a home-made nadia
1- ddm itself has a dependency problem in ubuntu: depends on python-glade2 that depends on libglade2-0
2- the driver is identified correctly but

WARNING   Package not found: firmware-b43-lpphy-installer
INFO      Linux header name to install: linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic
INFO      Download package: firmware-b43-lpphy-installer
INFO      E: Unable to locate package firmware-b43-lpphy-installer
INFO      Install downloaded packages
INFO      dpkg: error processing *.deb (--install):
INFO      cannot access archive: No such file or directory
INFO      Errors were encountered while processing:
INFO      *.deb
i see that the package is here >> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite ... ywords=b43
full terminal output here

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd Downloads
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ su
Password: 
su: Authentication failure
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ sudo su
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu/Downloads# dpkg -i *deb
Selecting previously unselected package device-driver-manager.
(Reading database ... 161209 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking device-driver-manager (from device-driver-manager_0.2.2_all.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of device-driver-manager:
 device-driver-manager depends on python-glade2; however:
  Package python-glade2 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing device-driver-manager (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 device-driver-manager
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu/Downloads# apt-get install python-glade2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 python-glade2 : Depends: libglade2-0 (>= 1:2.6.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu/Downloads# apt-get install python-glade2 libglade2-0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
  python-gtk2-doc
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libglade2-0 python-glade2
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/62.8 kB of archives.
After this operation, 312 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously unselected package libglade2-0:i386.
(Reading database ... 161238 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libglade2-0:i386 (from .../libglade2-0_2.6.4-1ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package python-glade2.
Unpacking python-glade2 (from .../python-glade2_2.24.0-3build1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up libglade2-0:i386 (1:2.6.4-1ubuntu2) ...
Setting up python-glade2 (2.24.0-3build1) ...
Setting up device-driver-manager (0.2.2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu/Downloads# dpkg -i *deb
(Reading database ... 161253 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace device-driver-manager 0.2.2 (using device-driver-manager_0.2.2_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement device-driver-manager ...
Setting up device-driver-manager (0.2.2) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu/Downloads# exit
exit
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ cd
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ device-driver-manager -d
INFO      Write debug information to file: /home/ubuntu/ddm.log
WARNING   Use --force to run DDM in a live environment
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ device-driver-manager -d --force
INFO      Write debug information to file: /home/ubuntu/ddm.log
INFO      install hardware code: broadcom
INFO      Start driver install thread
INFO      0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
INFO      Broadcom found: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
INFO      0c:00.0 0280: 14e4:4315 (rev 01)
WARNING   Package not found: firmware-b43-lpphy-installer
INFO      Linux header name to install: linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic
INFO      Download package: firmware-b43-lpphy-installer
INFO      E: Unable to locate package firmware-b43-lpphy-installer
INFO      Install downloaded packages
INFO      dpkg: error processing *.deb (--install):
INFO      cannot access archive: No such file or directory
INFO      Errors were encountered while processing:
INFO      *.deb
INFO      Done installing Broadcome drivers
INFO      0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
INFO      Broadcom found: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
INFO      0c:00.0 0280: 14e4:4315 (rev 01)
INFO      Broadcom chip serie found: 4315
INFO      3.5.0-17-generic
INFO      Hardware image found: /usr/share/device-driver-manager/broadcom.png
INFO      Add item: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ 
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

booting the installed system
(this is somehow tainted because i ticked the install updates and additional software during install)
so....
broadcom is installed (silently :mrgreen: )

Start-Date: 2012-10-20  20:39:20
Install: thunderbird-locale-en-us:i386 (16.0.1+build1-0ubuntu1), mythes-en-us:i386 (3.3.0-2ubuntu3), openoffice.org-hyphenation:i386 (0.6), hyphen-en-us:i386 (2.8.3-2), myspell-en-au:i386 (2.1-5.3ubuntu1), myspell-en-gb:i386 (3.3.0-2ubuntu3), thunderbird-locale-en:i386 (16.0.1+build1-0ubuntu1), myspell-en-za:i386 (3.3.0-2ubuntu3), wbritish:i386 (7.1-1)
End-Date: 2012-10-20  20:39:36

Start-Date: 2012-10-20  20:40:29
Install: fakeroot:i386 (1.18.4-2, automatic), bcmwl-kernel-source:i386 (5.100.82.112+bdcom-0ubuntu3), dkms:i386 (2.2.0.3-1.1ubuntu1, automatic)
End-Date: 2012-10-20  20:41:21

Start-Date: 2012-10-20  20:41:55
Purge: casper:i386 (1.328), language-pack-pt-base:i386 (12.10+20121009), language-pack-zh-hans:i386 (12.10+20121009), gir1.2-json-1.0:i386 (0.15.2-0ubuntu1), lupin-casper:i386 (0.53), metacity:i386 (2.34.8-0ubuntu4), libdmraid1.0.0.rc16:i386 (1.0.0.rc16-4.1ubuntu9), ubiquity-frontend-gtk:i386 (2.12.16), language-pack-gnome-zh-hans-base:i386 (12.10+20121009), ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu:i386 (65), lvm2:i386 (2.02.95-4ubuntu1), gir1.2-timezonemap-1.0:i386 (0.3.2build1), jfsutils:i386 (1.
and the missing package is endeed in the repo (but as we see above ubuntu installs bcmwl-kernel-source for this card and surely it works)

zerozero@zerozero-at-nadia:~$ apt-cache policy firmware-b43-lpphy-installer
firmware-b43-lpphy-installer:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:015-14
  Version table:
     1:015-14 0
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/multiverse i386 Packages
zerozero@zerozero-at-nadia:~$ 
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote:and the missing package is endeed in the repo (but as we see above ubuntu installs bcmwl-kernel-source for this card and surely it works)
DDM should have listed your broadcom chip set as "installed" because it finds a working wireless adapter. Was it?

I had some troubles too finding packages so I let DDM start up with "apt-get update" (in a separate thread, so loading the hardware continues while the update is running) and that solved some issues.

Thanks zerozero and arjay. This is very valuable information...I have something to do tomorrow.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote:Thanks zerozero and arjay. This is very valuable information...I have something to do tomorrow.

always a pleasure to give you some headach :mrgreen: valuable information :lol:
zerozero wrote:now last minute question: is aptitude installed in ubuntu?

zerozero@zerozero-at-nadia:~$ apt-cache policy aptitude synaptic
aptitude:
  Candidate: 0.6.8.1-2ubuntu1
  Version table:
     0.6.8.1-2ubuntu1 0
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main i386 Packages
synaptic:
  Candidate: 0.75.12build1
  Version table:
     0.75.12build1 0
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/universe i386 Packages
zerozero@zerozero-at-nadia:~$ 
this of course is not relevante for nadia
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Gentlemen,

I've been testing on LM 13 Maya and Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal.
This resulted in quite some drastic changes for PAE handling: from quantal on, the kernel is already PAE enabled so checking is unnecessary.
Unfortunately Ubuntu doesn't handle errors the same as LM and didn't show any trace-backs: when an error occurred, DDM simply disappeared and even ddm.log didn't report anything. As a workaround I switched between LM and Ubuntu to trace bugs and that was rather time consuming.
Running "apt-get update" when starting DDM was not a bright idea. It took a very long time to start DDM, so I removed that again.

To make a long story short: You may like to re-download and test DDM ;)
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Schoelje wrote:Gentlemen,
To make a long story short: You may like to re-download and test DDM ;)
Which distros do you want to test it on?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

arjay wrote:Which distros do you want to test it on?
Just on the regular LM (any desktop), I'll take Ubuntu because it's the base for LM 14.
It's all about testing the different types of hardware.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I want to thank you all for helping me out with DDM.

It seems that DDM is stable enough now for both LMDE and regular LM.
Clem is going to look into it today (probably) and test it with both Nvidia and ATI.
LM 14 will be finished sooner than expected, therefore DDM will not be included in LM 14 but DDM will probably be included in LMDE UP6 later this year.

So, when that moment comes, you can tell your friends and show them the fruits of your labor.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Ooops - seems I am too late for this last test. However, there is one more thing you might want to look at in the DDM install sequence that had me well confused (see later below).

1. Anyway - JFYI, I re-installed LM 13 Maya MATE 32-bit to fresh partitions.

2. BEFORE updating anything, the Welcome Screen worked perfectly - I could open support items and read the results in Firefox 12 ( the version in the original iso) - and also close FF and the welcome screen. However, after updating via Update Manager (now presumably a new version of the welcome screen and an updated Firefox to 16.01), the Welcome Screen persisted in staying on top of Firefox so I could nor read anything and I could not get FF to close except with ALT F4. This has now happened with three fresh installs and is replicable. Surely someone else has found this?????

3. OK - DDM. Downloaded your version 0.2.2 deb and installed. Ran it in a terminal and got the new dialogue box "Install PAE before any other driver". Installed PAE kernel and all ran just fine.

Now the confusion for me anyway

4. After the pae install, the dialogue says "Done installing your new drivers (note the plural) - please reboot your machine". BUT the DDM window shows the Nvidia driver as checked but not yet installed. (As a pretend naive user) I didn't know whether or not to install the video driver at this point or reboot first. I chose to reboot first but I suspect some users will surely choose to install their video drivers at this point before a reboot. I presume a reboot IS necessary to boot with the pae kernel first?

5. I' d suggest that the wording could be clearer. Either, if a reboot is needed first:

"Done installing the pae kernel. Please reboot first, then install any other drivers in the list"

OR, if a reboot is unnecessary:

"Done installing the pae kernel. If there are other drivers shown which you want to install, choose install now and then reboot your machine"

6. After rebooting when the pae kernel was installed, the screen showed it as installed and offered an install of the Nvidia GeForce 210 drivers. I chose install and everything went well. The final message was a repeat of the first ""Done installing drivers. Please reboot your machine".

All in all, a very good job and it is nice to see Clem's recognition of the end result. Pleasure to help out. Ask again if you want anything.

BTW - I attach 2 log files. The first is up to the point of the reboot following install of the pae kernel. The second is after the install of the video drivers. Note that I had to rename them as doc files but they still need to be opened using a text editor. OpenOffice makes a right mess of the layout if you open them as doc files!!
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@arjay
Thank you again for your feedback.
Some of these points are added to me ever growing todo-list.
Re-prioritizing that list is a nice thing to do this evening when the kids are asleep.

One that is becoming more important is the Live Installer.
I'd like to improve that until it's as slick as the regular LM's installer: Ubiquity.
That is going to need major coding and a lot of time.

But first: DDM must be absolutely stable on LM and LMDE.
And after that...maybe...get LMDE KDE official...that would be nice...

Return to “Software & Applications”