Schoelje wrote:I've been testing DDM on the regular Linux Mint.
Some changes were made for Nvidia and Broadcom.
So...I'm in dire need of testers, especially with ATI and Broadcom.
If you have a regular LM running somewhere, please download and install:
Open a terminal and run:
Code: Select all
And post back the log file:
Code: Select all
You'll know that I only have nvidia cards but thought it was worth running your ddm with a normal flavour of LM for you. So I D/L Mint 13 Maya 32-bit (MATE) and installed as per usual on newly formatted partitions - then fully updated using their Update Manager. I found a lot of problems with MATE which are nothing to do with you but I will list them at the end in case they affect what you are trying to do.
OK - DDM
Once the LM install was up and running with all updates, I D/L your deb. I ran "device-driver-manager -d" in a terminal and all went just fine. It showed the correct video card (Nvidia GeForce 210) and I chose install. After the reboot, the nvidia drivers were installed and I had the correct screen size and resolution etc. I also noted that the DDM was in the LM menu - cool. Log attached - note that *.txt and *.log extensions are not allowed as uploaded attachments in this forum. I converted it to a *.doc file - hope that works.
LM 13 Problems
1. From first boot, it keeps throwing error messages of the form: "You do not have permission to view the contents of tmp.XXXXXXXXXX." Googling shows that this is common but not fatal - I just ignored them - if you close them they reopen with new suffixes - irritating.
2. More annoying, as far as I could see, the installation would not allow me to choose which of my two hard disks I wanted the boot loader to install to. It insisted on /dev/sdb which holds my Win XP install which I do NOT want messed about! I could not find a way to tell it to use /dev/sda (my Linux HDD), so I had to shut down, disconnect the 2nd HDD, start all over again, then reconnect the disk and modify and update Grub after the installation - a right PITA.
3. JFYI - after the first reboot I got the message "Restricted drivers are available..." which presumably you will deal with when integrating DDM?
4. FireFox 16 (their latest version after updates) kept crashing - literally every 2-3 minutes. Just froze and could not even be closed.
5. Most serious of all is an apparent problem with their Welcome screen with the support options. It comes up just fine and there are no problems if you just close it or uncheck the "Show on startup" option. However, if you choose something from the support options something very bad happens (at least to me and it can be replicated over and over).
For example, if I click on the "Known Problems" option, it opens a copy of FireFox with the release notes page of the LM website behind the Welcome window . This means you cannot read anything in Firefox. It is not possible to drag the Welcome window to one side or to close it! More worrying, is it is then not possible to close Firefox either. If I use the main menu to chose Shutdown or Restart, their window also opens over the Welcome box and I can't click on any options. I had to reboot the PC by CTRL_ALT_DEL and chose an option from the login window.
Not sure what this is all about. had a quick google and look at the forum but haven't had time to really investigate.
I have also got LM 13 Mayo 32-bit KDE if you want me to try out DDM with that, but I guess it should all work OK?